English should be the official language?

Should English be America's Official Language

• Yes

Votes: 34 79.1%
  • No

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Don't know/Don't care

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Wishing some people would take their food fight to the Flame Zone so we could discuss this topic as I believe it is an important one.

America was built, explored, settled, and developed by immigrants. Most came to this country legally with a great deal of personal risk and with no resources other than their resourcefulness and willingness to work for a living. The welfare state did not exist until we were well into the 20th Century. The immigrants expected nothing from their new country but the ability to make a new life for themselves here. And they did.

To become citizens, they also expected to learn the basics of U.S. law, learn something of U.S. history, be familiar with the content of the U.S. Constitution, know enough English to be able to read signs and communicate at least in the basics, and take their oath of allegiance to this country in English.

Each one added some extra flavor to the soup, but immigrants were mostly seamlessly integrated into the unqiuely American culture. Many experienced discrimination from folks who didn't want them competing for housing and jobs, but they persevered, did not expect anybody to fight their battles for them, and they became proud Americans that have been a tremendous asset.

Compare that to what we now have. .

We have the same. it was never a matter of absolutes. People confuse the need to stop ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION with all other matters of immigration.

..in Japan it is a requirement of their schools to learn at least 5 languages and one of the is usually English. .

Are you nuts? It is not a requirement in Japan to learn 5 languages. English however, is not "usually," but always a required course.

Where the hell do you get this stuff?

It is a shame that this post was not responded to.

Japanese students are required to learn the three different forms of Japanese, Chinese, English, and at least one if not two other forms of Asian languages such as Thai. I know this because I have a friend that went to high school in Japan, she is Japanese.

First of all I am not Mexican. I am Cherokee Indian and Hispanic...so let's make it easy for you...get a life this is not England and we don't speak English here. Furthermore, making any language EXCLUSIVE to any part of life makes it a violation of freedom of speech in the constitution.
Soooooo, get your Hush Puppies back to the reservation and speak whatever the fuck you please......This is the United States Of America......We speak english, deal with it.

Are you nuts? It is not a requirement in Japan to learn 5 languages. English however, is not "usually," but always a required course.

Where the hell do you get this stuff?

It is a shame that this post was not responded to.

Japanese students are required to learn the three different forms of Japanese, Chinese, English, and at least one if not two other forms of Asian languages such as Thai. I know this because I have a friend that went to high school in Japan, she is Japanese.

You are insanely incorrect.

There is only one 'form' of Japanese (leaving aside dialects). You need to speak to your friend again because you have been badly misinformed.

Last edited:
Wishing some people would take their food fight to the Flame Zone so we could discuss this topic as I believe it is an important one.

America was built, explored, settled, and developed by immigrants. Most came to this country legally with a great deal of personal risk and with no resources other than their resourcefulness and willingness to work for a living. The welfare state did not exist until we were well into the 20th Century. The immigrants expected nothing from their new country but the ability to make a new life for themselves here. And they did.

To become citizens, they also expected to learn the basics of U.S. law, learn something of U.S. history, be familiar with the content of the U.S. Constitution, know enough English to be able to read signs and communicate at least in the basics, and take their oath of allegiance to this country in English.

Each one added some extra flavor to the soup, but immigrants were mostly seamlessly integrated into the unqiuely American culture. Many experienced discrimination from folks who didn't want them competing for housing and jobs, but they persevered, did not expect anybody to fight their battles for them, and they became proud Americans that have been a tremendous asset.

Compare that to what we now have. .

We have the same. it was never a matter of absolutes. People confuse the need to stop ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION with all other matters of immigration.

The problem we have is with people wanting to threat illegal immigrants as legal immigrants but with no strings attached. Some want them put on an immediate path to citizenship while they have government forms furnished to them in their language, are not required to learn English, are not required nor even encouraged to learn US laws, history, culture, ethic much less renounce their allegiance to their former country. This is not good for them. It is not good for us.

Last edited:
First of all I am not Mexican. I am Cherokee Indian and Hispanic...so let's make it easy for you...get a life this is not England and we don't speak English here. Furthermore, making any language EXCLUSIVE to any part of life makes it a violation of freedom of speech in the constitution.
Soooooo, get your Hush Puppies back to the reservation and speak whatever the fuck you please......This is the United States Of America......We speak english, deal with it.

Actually we speak lots of things..American, I suppose the English speak the Queen's English, Spanish, Creole, French, Cherokee, Navajo, and about a thousand other languages like Gailic, German and so forth, it has always been that way and as long as the constitution says I can speak what I want I will tell you to kiss my ass and to mind your own damn business if you say something to me about speaking another language in the USA...because it is after all the USA not Cuba or Iran. My son went to Afghanistan so that I and others have the right to do whatever the hell we please as long as it doesn't infringe on someone else's rights.

I have zero problem with anybody speaking any language they wish to each other. I strongly advocate everybody learning at least one language other than their native language.

But I have a HUGE problem with not promoting a cohesive society that is much safer and satisfying to all if everybody can speak the same language. Everybody who is a citizen should be able to read English well enough to not need special forms in their native tongue. Everybody who is a citizen should be able to read warning signs or instructions in English. Everybody who is a citizen should be able to take instructions from authorities as necessary and those authorities should be speaking in English. Everybody who is a citizen should be able to renounce allegiance to their former country and take their oath of allegiance to the USA in English. School children should be able to be instructed in English.

(Former immigrants were required to learn English on their own without any government help. And that is as it should be. I used to help teach English and Constitution in immigrant classes preparing for their citizenship exams and oath of allegiance.)

And then if they want to speak whatever language they like best the rest of the time, no problem with that at all.

Former immigrants were required to learn English on their own without any government help.

This is false, in fact in previous immigrants school lessons were taught exclusively in their native language like German.

I have zero problem with anybody speaking any language they wish to each other. I strongly advocate everybody learning at least one language other than their native language.

But I have a HUGE problem with not promoting a cohesive society that is much safer and satisfying to all if everybody can speak the same language. Everybody who is a citizen should be able to read English well enough to not need special forms in their native tongue. Everybody who is a citizen should be able to read warning signs or instructions in English. Everybody who is a citizen should be able to take instructions from authorities as necessary and those authorities should be speaking in English. Everybody who is a citizen should be able to renounce allegiance to their former country and take their oath of allegiance to the USA in English. School children should be able to be instructed in English.

(Former immigrants were required to learn English on their own without any government help. And that is as it should be. I used to help teach English and Constitution in immigrant classes preparing for their citizenship exams and oath of allegiance.)

And then if they want to speak whatever language they like best the rest of the time, no problem with that at all.
We desperately need to go back to our old immigration system. Our immigration system nowadays is seriously screwed up.........We must go back to immigrants being thoroughly checked out before being allowed to enter. They need to have a sponsor who is fully responsible for the immigrant, and held accountable along with the immigtant for their actions. They must demonstrate that they have money in their pocket to survive, and will not be immediately applying to suck off the system. No money, no entrance. They need to be fully versed in English before becoming a citizen......And of course, CLOSE OFF THAT SOUTHERN BORDER, AND START CHECKING OUT EVERYBODY WHO COMES ACROSS IT...It is a major disaster that is just waiting to happen.

We desperately need to go back to our old immigration system. Our immigration system nowadays is seriously screwed up........
I agreed up to this point but....

.We must go back to immigrants being thoroughly checked out before being allowed to enter.
immigrants weren't thoroughly checked previously they were simply checked for diseases

They need to have a sponsor who is fully responsible for the immigrant, and held accountable along with the immigtant for their actions.
A person is biographically responisble for the person they sponser in immigration. Not everyone requires a sponser though it depends on how you immigrate. You can't hold a person responsible for someone else's actions, but financially you can and they are held financially responsible.

They must demonstrate that they have money in their pocket to survive, and will not be immediately applying to suck off the system. No money, no entrance. They need to be fully versed in English before becoming a citizen......

all of these things are already requirements. You don't know much about our current immigration requirements do you? They don't require you to be fully versed, but that would be ridiculous, most natural born citizens aren't fully versed in English.

And of course, CLOSE OFF THAT SOUTHERN BORDER, AND START CHECKING OUT EVERYBODY WHO COMES ACROSS IT...It is a major disaster that is just waiting to happen.

Why just the southern border?

Former immigrants were required to learn English on their own without any government help.

This is false, in fact in previous immigrants school lessons were taught exclusively in their native language like German.
You are wrong.....Immigrants had to be fluent in English before obtaining citizenship, for a reason......We are an English speaking nation. All road signs are in English. All major communication are in English. Our military speaks English. You don't speak English fluently, and concisely, c-ya sucker. You don't join, period.

It's time to do away with the PC bullshit, and declare English our official language once and for all......And anybody who doesn't like it, can go fuck themselves

Last edited:
We desperately need to go back to our old immigration system. Our immigration system nowadays is seriously screwed up........
I agreed up to this point but....

.We must go back to immigrants being thoroughly checked out before being allowed to enter.
immigrants weren't thoroughly checked previously they were simply checked for diseases

They need to have a sponsor who is fully responsible for the immigrant, and held accountable along with the immigtant for their actions.
A person is biographically responisble for the person they sponser in immigration. Not everyone requires a sponser though it depends on how you immigrate. You can't hold a person responsible for someone else's actions, but financially you can and they are held financially responsible.

They must demonstrate that they have money in their pocket to survive, and will not be immediately applying to suck off the system. No money, no entrance. They need to be fully versed in English before becoming a citizen......

all of these things are already requirements. You don't know much about our current immigration requirements do you? They don't require you to be fully versed, but that would be ridiculous, most natural born citizens aren't fully versed in English.

And of course, CLOSE OFF THAT SOUTHERN BORDER, AND START CHECKING OUT EVERYBODY WHO COMES ACROSS IT...It is a major disaster that is just waiting to happen.

Hell, i'm all for sealing this country tight all around.....But at this exact time, we are being primarily invaded by criminals from the south......Once they illegally cross that border, they are criminals who must suffer the punishments under our laws, BEFORE they have a chance to meld into our society.......Best just to seal it off completely, and keep 'em out, once and for all. Enough is enough

precisely how are you going to seal any border? WE can't seal the border it is a pipe dream that isn't going to happen and is ridiculous.

Second of all, I am not wrong about former immigrants and there was not a requirement that they know English before coming to the US.

http://americanspeech.dukejournals.org/content/83/3/259.full.pdf

in fact, there were schools that taught exclusively in German in the US for German immigrants and their children.

You are wrong.....Immigrants had to be fluent in English before obtaining citizenship, for a reason......We are an English speaking nation. All road signs are in English. All major communication are in English. Our military speaks English. You don't speak English fluently, and concisely, c-ya sucker. You don't join, period.

It's time to do away with the PC bullshit, and declare English our official language once and for all......And anybody who doesn't like it, can go fuck themselves

Oh so you think that you are the only one with rights in the US right? Never mind that you don't get the exclusive authority to decide anything..our founders had no need to declare an official language and quite frankly it is stupid insecurity of anyone that thinks we need to do such a thing..English is not in danger of becoming extinct..and if Spanish became dominate what is the big deal really with what language it is that we speak?

precisely how are you going to seal any border? WE can't seal the border it is a pipe dream that isn't going to happen and is ridiculous.

Second of all, I am not wrong about former immigrants and there was not a requirement that they know English before coming to the US.

http://americanspeech.dukejournals.org/content/83/3/259.full.pdf

in fact, there were schools that taught exclusively in German in the US for German immigrants and their children.
No, you countered Foxfyres point that immigrants had to be fluent in english before being granted citizenship, which is the absolute truth. Before raisng their hand, they had to be fluent. And that is the way it always must be. We are an English speaking nation, period.

Next time, check the context of the poster before replying.

Jester, you need to verse yourself in immigration law and what is required before you start preaching to the choir. Sounds like you didn't realize all those things were required already that you suggested. however,English has never been an official language and it should not be. Why? quite simple....we have no need to make anything official as we aren't Iran or Cuba.

Oh so you think that you are the only one with rights in the US right? Never mind that you don't get the exclusive authority to decide anything..our founders had no need to declare an official language and quite frankly it is stupid insecurity of anyone that thinks we need to do such a thing..English is not in danger of becoming extinct..and if Spanish became dominate what is the big deal really with what language it is that we speak?
English is the language of this country. Everything is based around English. It should be made the official language once and for all......And I guarantee, if it ever goes to vote, it will resoundingly become the official language, as it should.

If you want to speak that spanish jibberish, go ahead. It's my right to not listen or recognize the crap. Just as it was my right to require all my employees to speak English only, while on the job. But then, if they didn't speak perfectly fluent English, then they were never hired in the first place.

I'm assuming you knew what he meant? We take English in high school, and we speak English. It has nothing to do with what country a person is in or from.

Yaaa' cause in Austria they speak Austrian! Can't remember who said that! ;)

English is the language of this country. Everything is based around English. It should be made the official language once and for all......And I guarantee, if it ever goes to vote, it will resoundingly become the official language, as it should.

If you want to speak that spanish jibberish, go ahead. It's my right to not listen or recognize the crap. Just as it was my right to require all my employees to speak English only, while on the job. But then, if they didn't speak perfectly fluent English, then they were never hired in the first place.

I speak Spanish, but it is hardly jibberish. I also speak English and Cherokee. No it is not your right to require English only of all of your employees..that is a good way to get yourself sued and no longer have a business if you keep it up..why? Several others had that attitude and found out they were wrong. You can require a person know English if it is a safety need, but you cannot require that they speak English only. You clearly don't own a business or you would know better.

Forum List

Back