English should be the official language?

Should English be America's Official Language

• Yes

Votes: 34 79.1%
  • No

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Don't know/Don't care

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Learn English, get a translator, or get out.

If you hate America so much, leave. Stop trying to destroy it.

Mexicans speak a dialect of Spanish but not all of them..some of them speak other languages. In fact, there are 68 languages of Mexico, but you clearly did not know that. So which language would it be that they speak? Some of them speak Nauhutl, Yucatec Maya, Mixtec, Zapotec, TZeltal Maya, Otomi, Totonac, Mazatec, Chotl*mayan*, and the list goes on and on including Qu' che..a mayan language common in Central America as well...but in just Nauhutl there are almost 2 million speakers and a lot of them don't speak Spanish...so when you ask what do they speak either Mexican or Spanish you would be clearly leaving out a good section of the population of Mexico that doesn't speak Spanish or even a dialect of Spanish, because NO Mexicans do not speak Castillian Spanish they speak Mexican Spanish and or a dialect of native americans. They also speak English, Chinese, Hebrew and the list goes on and on...do you really want to continue this or perhaps find out a little more about languages in Mexico before we go this route?

Spanish is the official language of Mexico.

Kind of deflates your whole rant, doesn't it?

In Ruiz v. Hull, 957 P.2d 984 (Ariz. 1998), the Arizona Supreme Court struck down as un-Constitutional an amendment to that state’s constitution making English the ‘official language’:

How does the court strike down a constitutional amendment as "unconstitutional?" Kind of makes the whole farce of a constitution and government by the people meaningless, doesn't it?

1 This opinion addresses the constitutionality of Article XXVIII of the Arizona Constitution (the "Amendment"), which was adopted in 1988 and which provides, inter alia, that English is the official language of the State of Arizona and that the state and its political subdivisions--including all government officials and employees performing government business--must "act" only in English.

2 We hold that the Amendment violates the First Amendment to the United States Constitution because it adversely impacts the constitutional rights of non-English-speaking persons with regard to their obtaining access to their government and limits the political speech of elected officials and public employees. We also hold that the Amendment violates the Equal Protection Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution because it unduly burdens core First Amendment rights of a specific class without materially advancing a legitimate state interest.

A given jurisdiction may make English its ‘official language,’ but must also provide forms and documents in other languages and have the ability to conduct official business in other languages, refusing to do so is un-Constitutional.

Dictatorship, how wonderful it is.

If you really want English only, you better think about closing the border first

No! they really really are not.

It is a matter of fact. Adding obstinance to ignorance doesn't change matters of fact. Maybe you don't know what loan words are, or maybe you have no understanding of the history of the English language. Either way, you are not getting any less wrong by repeating a dim-witted and ignorant denial.

Loan words huh? when are we due to return them?

Are you enjoying your ignorance? Getting all that 'bliss'?

As far as being misinformed...look who's talking. .

I'm talking. You, in your ignorance, didn't know that demonstrating a degree of proficiency in English (capital 'E' you fucking idiot) IS part of the immigration process. You went on to try and draw several illogical conclusions from your ignorance and base stupidity. So yeah, look who is talking.

we're not in honduras now are we?

I am and the question was directed at me personally so it made you look pretty foolish.

If your concern was for honduras, then why worry about the topic of this thread?

I am a tax paying US citizen born and bred and lived in the US all my life..yeah it is my concern this very topic. I moved to Honduras for other reasons than because it is my concern. Also, I didn't stay where I came from because where I came from is Dallas, Texas...so what was that about wealthy staying where they came from? Also, I am not wealthy I am middle class.

Spanish is the official language of Mexico

There isn't just one official language of Mexico, there are 68 official langauges of Mexico...so that deflates your argument.

Oracle, you seem to think that only Hondurans live in Honduras. In fact, there are a great variety of people here including AMERICANS, CANADIANS, and EUROPEANS that are ex pats. Yahoo groups even has a group called Honduras living exclusively for ex pats from the US that live in Honduras. Seems you need to learn a few things before you talk about who is or is not educated. I am college eduated and went to a university in the state of Georgia. That however, is not the topic, the topic of this thread is English being the official language..and since Puerto Rico is a territory of the US how do you figure that the language being there is Spanish is going to jive with an official language of English? Second, in the US a person can speak in whatever the damn hell language they want to.....since there are curse words in there perhaps you can understand the structure.

Having lived in several South American countries let me assure that the best way to make sure you're ridiculed and denigrated is to speak "Mexican Spanish". Second best is to speak Castellano con un ceceo.

I think that if you live in America, you should speak English. It is a completely fair expectation. It will better your future in America if you learn the English language.

I think that if you live in America, you should speak English. It is a completely fair expectation. It will better your future in America if you learn the English language.

If you live in America? Or if you live in the USA? America is a continent, the USA is the country in the Americas. While it will better your future it should not be a law...no one should be forced to speak anything they don't want to.

It is a matter of fact. Adding obstinance to ignorance doesn't change matters of fact. Maybe you don't know what loan words are, or maybe you have no understanding of the history of the English language. Either way, you are not getting any less wrong by repeating a dim-witted and ignorant denial.

Loan words huh? when are we due to return them?

Are you enjoying your ignorance? Getting all that 'bliss'?

stop it alien. you don't even know what ignorance is. Your inability to stifle yourself is proof positive. Oh, and just so you know, while you think you have a fan base, most of your "champions" wouldn't want you in their neighborhood, not because you're mexican (which you clearly are) but because a face like yours brings down property values. Sorry fao.

Mexicans speak a dialect of Spanish but not all of them..some of them speak other languages. In fact, there are 68 languages of Mexico, but you clearly did not know that. So which language would it be that they speak? Some of them speak Nauhutl, Yucatec Maya, Mixtec, Zapotec, TZeltal Maya, Otomi, Totonac, Mazatec, Chotl*mayan*, and the list goes on and on including Qu' che..a mayan language common in Central America as well...but in just Nauhutl there are almost 2 million speakers and a lot of them don't speak Spanish...so when you ask what do they speak either Mexican or Spanish you would be clearly leaving out a good section of the population of Mexico that doesn't speak Spanish or even a dialect of Spanish, because NO Mexicans do not speak Castillian Spanish they speak Mexican Spanish and or a dialect of native americans. They also speak English, Chinese, Hebrew and the list goes on and on...do you really want to continue this or perhaps find out a little more about languages in Mexico before we go this route?

Spanish is the official language of Mexico.

Kind of deflates your whole rant, doesn't it?
It sure does. As a matter of fact, ask the google queen to tell you how many bean institutes require english in their classrooms.

Forum List

Back