English should be the official language?

Should English be America's Official Language

• Yes

Votes: 34 79.1%
  • No

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Don't know/Don't care

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Remember our motto,"OUT OF ONE COMES MANY
:eusa_eh:

I told you, English IS our official language. That was decided back when we became a country.
Cite. Every legal resource in existence agrees that the USA never declared an official language.

So if you pay your taxes and call 911 you get hung up on because you don't speak English?

:doubt:
Are you always so stupid? they treat it the same as a hang-up or a silent line.
Maybe where you live. That's pretty sad.

Wow, that really makes no sense.

How's that?

Demonstrating an ability to speak English is part of the (legal) immigration process, but speaking it during your daily life is of course not required and would not be even if English were made our official language. And speaking English is in no way required of natural-born citizens.

It doesn't have to be required stupid. People generally follow the surroundings they see every day. Now, what do born citizens see most often?

I'm guessing that, either you ARE hispanic, or you have never had an encounter with one that barely speaks English. If part of the immigration process was learning English, adjusting would be easier, no? If all immigrants were required to learn English, you'd know who wasn't here legally for the most part, would you not? As far as the person I was responding to initially...hideous speaks for itself...using my free speech and all. If it still makes no sense, then you are clearly a poster child for why we should act now! Of course you'll argue to be contrary. Folks that post like you, usually do.

You are really, really bad at guessing, and - again - demonstrating an ability to speak English is part of the (legal) immigration process.

Hey, good post friend!

How's that?

Demonstrating an ability to speak English is part of the (legal) immigration process, but speaking it during your daily life is of course not required and would not be even if English were made our official language. And speaking English is in no way required of natural-born citizens.

It doesn't have to be required stupid. People generally follow the surroundings they see every day. Now, what do born citizens see most often?

As for what "born citizens see most often," that depends on your environment, doesn't it stupid? You are misinformed and your conclusion regarding the above made no sense for the reasons I have explained to you previously.

Last edited:

I'm guessing that, either you ARE hispanic, or you have never had an encounter with one that barely speaks English. If part of the immigration process was learning English, adjusting would be easier, no? If all immigrants were required to learn English, you'd know who wasn't here legally for the most part, would you not? As far as the person I was responding to initially...hideous speaks for itself...using my free speech and all. If it still makes no sense, then you are clearly a poster child for why we should act now! Of course you'll argue to be contrary. Folks that post like you, usually do.

You are really, really bad at guessing, and - again - demonstrating an ability to speak English is part of the (legal) immigration process.

No I'm not. See as a perpetual simpleton, you don't even realize that you have proven my point. since, you are indicating that you are in fact NOT hispanic, you either spend lots of time dealing with people who speak very poor english, or you just decided to differ for the sake of being contrary. Gotcha!

Hey, good post friend!

Neg rep for replying to your own post.

:cuckoo:

No I'm not.

Yes, you are really, really bad at guessing since I am not 'hispanic' and I have a great deal of experience with people (of all backgrounds) who have varying degrees of English proficiency. Since those guesses were completely wrong, you are really, really bad at guessing. Do you understand, or should I explain it in more basic terms for you? Try this: You're a fucking moron.

The rest of your asinine post was both misinformed and illogical. You're batting 0, champ.

All I'm saying is that you'll catch more flies with honey than you will with vinegar, giving instant value to your opinion, making it that much more likely that you're not wasting your time here.

And yes, I do think my opinion matters. I think yours matters too.

As far as the rest goes, calling stupid is as stupid does is kind of what this board is all about and it's certainly what keeps MY dear readers coming back for more. But a quick wit is all I have - I'm not lucky like Ravi to have both a quick wit and a smokin' bod.

Stop it hippie. When you leave here, you don't plan your day around what I say. Even if you agree with something I say, it only has about an 20/80 chance of becoming one of your talking points. By the way, who wants to catch flies for any reason than crushing them anyway?

As long as you have a reason to do what you do..... keep rockin'.

Boredom.

How do you even expect them to know what language is being spoken? Why should those who work at 911 be language experts? Do you have any idea what the job entails? How much it pays? They can't afford to hire language experts. If you can't speak English, you sure as heck shouldn't expect 911 to understand you.

When we were in Japan, if we needed to call for help, we called one of our English speaking friends. We sure as hell didn't expect everyone there to speak English, how stupid is that?

If I'm in trouble and the only person who can call 911 doesn't speak English, I expect I'll die. Maybe it's time to stop illegal immigration completely and curtail legal immigration reducing the chances of someone who doesn't speak our languages having to use our resources.

We expect our 911 operators to do everything possible to save a life. That can include identifying the language the caller is speaking and having access to someone who speaks that language

It is not a gotcha situation. That 911 caller may be a visitor from another country and the victim may be an English speaking American citizen

"can" being the operative word. The truth is that the job doesn't include being able to identify other languages. You want to make that part of the job, you're gonna have to raise the pay.

Yea....like asking what language they speak? Or being able to tell Spanish from French or German?

That's worth big bucks

No they aren't.]

Yes, they really, really are.

No! they really really are not.

It is a matter of fact. Adding obstinance to ignorance doesn't change matters of fact. Maybe you don't know what loan words are, or maybe you have no understanding of the history of the English language. Either way, you are not getting any less wrong by repeating a dim-witted and ignorant denial.

As for what "born citizens see most often," that depends on your environment, doesn't it, stupid? You are misinformed and your conclusion regarding the above made no sense for the reasons I have explained to you previously.

And what do you think they'll see most often in America dipshit. As far as being misinformed...look who's talking. By the way, you gave no reasons, you barked gibberish at the wall hoping something stuck. Idiots like you are the primary reason progressives are anything but.

No I'm not.

Yes, you are really, really bad at guessing since I am not 'hispanic' and I have a great deal of experience with people (of all backgrounds) who have varying degrees of English proficiency. Since those guesses were completely wrong, you are really, really bad at guessing. Do you understand, or should I explain it in more basic terms for you? Try this: You're a fucking moron.

The rest of your asinine post was both misinformed and illogical. You're batting 0, champ.

Great choice in font faggot. people like you make me believe in euthanasia, CHUMP!

Yes, they really, really are.

No! they really really are not.

It is a matter of fact. Adding obstinance to ignorance doesn't change matters of fact. Maybe you don't know what loan words are, or maybe you have no understanding of the history of the English language. Either way, you are not getting any less wrong by repeating a dim-witted and ignorant denial.

Loan words huh? when are we due to return them?

In Ruiz v. Hull, 957 P.2d 984 (Ariz. 1998), the Arizona Supreme Court struck down as un-Constitutional an amendment to that state’s constitution making English the ‘official language’:

1 This opinion addresses the constitutionality of Article XXVIII of the Arizona Constitution (the "Amendment"), which was adopted in 1988 and which provides, inter alia, that English is the official language of the State of Arizona and that the state and its political subdivisions--including all government officials and employees performing government business--must "act" only in English.

2 We hold that the Amendment violates the First Amendment to the United States Constitution because it adversely impacts the constitutional rights of non-English-speaking persons with regard to their obtaining access to their government and limits the political speech of elected officials and public employees. We also hold that the Amendment violates the Equal Protection Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution because it unduly burdens core First Amendment rights of a specific class without materially advancing a legitimate state interest.

A given jurisdiction may make English its ‘official language,’ but must also provide forms and documents in other languages and have the ability to conduct official business in other languages, refusing to do so is un-Constitutional.

Forum List

Back