English should be the official language?

Should English be America's Official Language

• Yes

Votes: 34 79.1%
  • No

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Don't know/Don't care

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Anyone claiming "fluency in 3 months" is lying. "Full native" is a life-long pursuit and not a realistic goal anyway unless one starts before the end of the critical period and remains immersed in the language environment permanently.

it doesn't matter when it occurred..it was part of Mexico and Mexico did not recognize Texas independence. The US started the Mexican American war because of the belief that they had a god given right to Mexican land....the proof has been provided to you..now disprove it.

Yeah..... so?

Anyone claiming "fluency in 3 months" is lying. "Full native" is a life-long pursuit and not a realistic goal anyway unless one starts before the end of the critical period and remains immersed in the language environment permanently.

Nobody has suggested fluency in three months. One of our friends here has tried really hard to pick a fight about that I think, but nobody has said anybody will be fluent in a new language in three months. I have said and I have witnessed however, that for the sufficiently motivated, people can and do achieve a working level of a language in three months--enough to order from a menu, ask for and understand directions, read signs, and carry on a simple conversation. Kids will do even better and with three months immersion in competent English instruction, a child from another country wil be able to hold his/her own in a First Grade classroom and will likely be fluent within a year.

that isn't enough to justify that no government function should be translated into another language. People have rights to access courts, tax offices, social security offices, hospitals, the police, etc in a language that they fully understand. Face it, speaking a language half way and actually understanding things like court proceedings or a medical diagnosis or being able to explain something to the police are very different things that require a full mastery of the English language to do...if you don't have that then you need a translater to understand what is going on.

that isn't enough to justify that no government function should be translated into another language. People have rights to access courts, tax offices, social security offices, hospitals, the police, etc in a language that they fully understand. Face it, speaking a language half way and actually understanding things like court proceedings or a medical diagnosis or being able to explain something to the police are very different things that require a full mastery of the English language to do...if you don't have that then you need a translater to understand what is going on.
No problem......Just make English the official language, and keep the interpreters on stand by.....That's how it works in the Downtown L.A. Criminal Courts Building, where my wife has been a court reporter for almost 20 years.

Court sessions are done in English, period.......And the system works just fine.

No problem......Just make English the official language, and keep the interpreters on stand by.....That's how it works in the Downtown L.A. Criminal Courts Building, where my wife has been a court reporter for almost 20 years.

Court sessions are done in English, period.......And the system works just fine.

Actually the interpreter makes the session basically not done in English period...for instance imagine not accepting an eye witness to a rape or murder because that witness does not speak sufficient English to explain what happened...that would be a tragedy for the victim and their family. The problem is with you saying make English the official language and just keep interpreters on stand by is that isn't what people want that generally advocate for this law..they want no interpreters available period..they want English only period.

Actually the interpreter makes the session basically not done in English period...for instance imagine not accepting an eye witness to a rape or murder because that witness does not speak sufficient English to explain what happened...that would be a tragedy for the victim and their family. The problem is with you saying make English the official language and just keep interpreters on stand by is that isn't what people want that generally advocate for this law..they want no interpreters available period..they want English only period.
Nope, you are blatantly wrong, yet again....Funny how you were clueless about how business has the right to demand English only, when safety concerns warrant it. Now you're trying to say how our courts run.....You are full of shit. The cases are presented in ENGLISH. The rulings are made in ENGLISH. The Jurors are instructed in ENGLISH. Jurors deliberate in ENGLISH. Whatever jibberish language is required to be interpreted, it's interpreted.

NEVER has a defendent, victim, witness, been denied their say because they don' speak English......So take that La Raza bullshit, and drop it off in that shithole Honduras, where it belongs.

Funny how you were clueless about how business has the right to demand English only

and I showed you how you were wrong, cited case law in fact...you can only demand it when it is life and death and not during breaks or to each other in the kitchen..you can demand they speak to you in English, but you can't demand that they say Good morning in English or do it for discriminatory purpose, which you just admitted to in your own post when you said you don't hire folks with an accent...you call other languages jibberish? What do you think English sounds like to someone who doesn't speak English? It sounds like jibberish.
La Raza? Interesting..never been around anyone in La Raza, but you clearly don't know that there are no La Raza groups in Honduras either...my bet is you live in some damn doublewide because you seem to want to try to degrade everyone around you and act as if you are better...that tells me immediately you are insecure and likely not a business owner at all.

Last edited:
Kids will do even better and with three months immersion in competent English instruction, a child from another country wil be able to hold his/her own in a First Grade classroom and will likely be fluent within a year.

No. That's not how it works. An adult will 'learn' more of a language in 3 months than a child (under the same circumstances), and no one is going to be 'fluent' in a year unless they have had prior exposure to the language.

Last edited:
Funny how you were clueless about how business has the right to demand English only

and I showed you how you were wrong, cited case law in fact...you can only demand it when it is life and death and not during breaks or to each other in the kitchen..you can demand they speak to you in English, but you can't demand that they say Good morning in English or do it for discriminatory purpose, which you just admitted to in your own post when you said you don't hire folks with an accent...you call other languages jibberish? What do you think English sounds like to someone who doesn't speak English? It sounds like jibberish.
La Raza? Interesting..never been around anyone in La Raza, but you clearly don't know that there are no La Raza groups in Honduras either...my bet is you live in some damn doublewide because you seem to want to try to degrade everyone around you and act as if you are better...that tells me immediately you are insecure and likely not a business owner at all.
No, when you worked in my kitchens, and were in the kitchen, it was English only. And, I needed zero reason to get rid of somebody. It wasn't up to a natural born citizen to have to learn "caliente" as opposed to "hot", to appease some border jumping wetback....And, I never said I didn't hire people with accents, I said they had to speak fluent english. Don't twist my fuckin' words.

English will be the official language. If you don't like it, stay down in that third world shithole, and speak that third world jibberish until the village eats the sheep.

Honduras is a third world shithole, just as the majority of those south of the border shitholes are.

Have you spent a lot of time in Honduras, and "a majority of" Central and South American countries?
Sure have.....The avatar says it all.......They're fuckin' shitholes.

And i'm sick of 'em making their way north and turning our cities and towns into fucking shitholes.......Seal that southern border, and keep their dirty lil', disrespectful asses out of here.

And it's time we enact laws where any mayor who declares their city or town ''sanctuary" is held criminally responsible......Enough is enough.

Forum List

Back