🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Equity in education...well

In other words, you have no clue as "equity" is happening in many schools across the US. In fact, you show that it is very limited.

The advanced classes were offered in just about every high school I taught at. Trying to get students to take these classes was another story. You would think that in a school of 3000 students, you could get 20 or so students to take AP Calculus. That was a struggle. Only because of an exceptional teacher, we had about 30 by the time I left. That took 10 years! I do not support "equity" as you describe it, but the highest level class I taught was Algebra II in 20 years. Students were not interested in a challenge. Higher level classes should always be available, but getting students to take them would probably be another story.
I'm a "nip it in the bud" kind of guy when it comes to student achievement.
One fucking school pushing that "equity" crap is enough to trigger me.

Look at the VA schools that didn't tell kids they won scholarships.

Virginia AG Jason Miyares says at least 13 high schools failed to let students know they won merit awards, causing them to miss out on scholarships

I went to an engineering college. Nearly everyone had AP math & science.
Most kids won't need AP courses unless they plan to attend college and need to score well on the SAT.
But we agree that "equity" is a horrible lose-lose option.

New York. When are you going to realize this doesn't happen often in flyover country?
Dumbing-down is dumbing-down no matter where it happens.
Should students be able to get a professor fired? Anywhere?

I'm terrible at remembering names, should I get fired? Overreaction by any other name is "woke", huh?

Are you truly this stupid?
You should have ran across this story by accident by now.
I just did a quick Google search and came right up.
Next you're going to ask for a link....
Me personally,I always do a search before spouting off so I dont sound like a complete dumbass.
You should probably do the same....dumbass.

Yeah
You aren't in a cult -
The Cult lets them know what to be on the lookout for, what to think about it and how to react.
They long ago surrendered any independent curiosity.

Virginia AG Jason Miyares says at least 13 high schools failed to let students know they won merit awards, causing them to miss out on scholarships

Most kids won't need AP courses unless they plan to attend college and need to score well on the SAT.
The entire story is inaccurate. They did not lose the opportunity for National Merit Scholarships. They lost the chance to use that as evidence of academic prowess for OTHER scholarships.

The entire story is inaccurate. They did not lose the opportunity for National Merit Scholarships. They lost the chance to use that as evidence of academic prowess for OTHER scholarships.
So you agree that the schools were right to NOT notify the students as soon as they could have?
If so, we disagree. Its not the schools' responsibility to interfere in scholarships, is it?
If it was your kid, or grandkid, you'd still be so flippant?

The main reason they didn’t tell the high-achievers they won Merit Scholarships is that they were primarily white, Asian, and Jewish. They’re trying to hold them down to “equitize” them with the blacks, who receive relatively few.

Your post seemed to be saying, "it was no big deal not to notify the kids", i.e. "no harm no foul".

I can't figure out why the kids weren't notified directly?
Why is the school in the notification loop anyway?
I never came close to saying anything of the sort. The schools should have given them the results in a sufficient amount of time.

Forum List

Back