Everyone making less then 25,000 per year

The right stays stupid yawn let them they are losing either way populism is winning and kicking conservatism and its best friend liberalism in the ass

Everyone making less then 25,000 per year should get $300 per month in food stamps and be allowed to take skill based classes at their local community college backed by the tax payers. Skill based is computer, business, or any classes that help them get a better job to boost their income upwards.

This is the right thing to do....

Time to start helping people instead of hurting them.

I make more than $25K/year...but guess what? I earned it. I busted my ass in school, got a degree, and joined a profession that I absolutely love.

We coddle people enough in society.

Wrong. You pay low skill workers so little, they can't live on it. That's not "coddling". They receive health care via emergency rooms in overcrowded pubic hospitals, and no support to cover drug or health care costs. Prior to Obamacare (which was defunded this week), lack of health insurance and/or access for to health care killed 45,000 Americans a year. That's more 10,000 more people than are killed by guns in the US every year. I'd hardly call that coddling. They are educated in schools with not enough textbooks for each child, and no computer labs or special helps for the children of the poor. And CHIP was defunded this week too.

Coddled? My definition of coddling must be a whole lot difference than yours.

As a teacher I assure you that I know MUCH more about education than you do. Don't try and make an argument here: you will lose.

I can tell you that the high school kids of this generation are indeed coddled. They get everything handed to them. They then go out in the "real world" and expect things to work out that way for them...that's why they make less than $25K/year.

There's a reason why income is directly linked to education. In today's society every American has access to a "free", and quality education. The ones that don't take advantage of it are the ones I see at McDonald's a few years later.

I have zero sympathy for somebody who makes less than $25K and neglected/wasted their opportunities in life.
Everyone making less then 25,000 per year should get $300 per month in food stamps and be allowed to take skill based classes at their local community college backed by the tax payers. Skill based is computer, business, or any classes that help them get a better job to boost their income upwards.

This is the right thing to do....

Time to start helping people instead of hurting them.

I make more than $25K/year...but guess what? I earned it. I busted my ass in school, got a degree, and joined a profession that I absolutely love.

We coddle people enough in society.

Wrong. You pay low skill workers so little, they can't live on it. That's not "coddling". They receive health care via emergency rooms in overcrowded pubic hospitals, and no support to cover drug or health care costs. Prior to Obamacare (which was defunded this week), lack of health insurance and/or access for to health care killed 45,000 Americans a year. That's more 10,000 more people than are killed by guns in the US every year. I'd hardly call that coddling. They are educated in schools with not enough textbooks for each child, and no computer labs or special helps for the children of the poor. And CHIP was defunded this week too.

Coddled? My definition of coddling must be a whole lot difference than yours.

As a teacher I assure you that I know MUCH more about education than you do. Don't try and make an argument here: you will lose.

I can tell you that the high school kids of this generation are indeed coddled. They get everything handed to them. They then go out in the "real world" and expect things to work out that way for them...that's why they make less than $25K/year.

There's a reason why income is directly linked to education. In today's society every American has access to a "free", and quality education. The ones that don't take advantage of it are the ones I see at McDonald's a few years later.

I have zero sympathy for somebody who makes less than $25K and neglected/wasted their opportunities in life.

Well, color me unimpressed. Yes, there is a link between income and education. The higher your families income, the higher the level of education the children are likely to achieve. You would have to be delusional to believe the quality of education provided to the kids in an inner city school where ninety percent of the students get free lunch is the same as that provided to suburban kids in affluent areas. The bottom line

A student from the a low income family with SAT scores in the top twenty five percent has the same chance of attending a four year university as the student from the high income family scoring in the bottom 25%.

I have taught at schools with a 95%+ poverty rate, and schools where families had wealth. In both situations the students were given the same curriculum to learn from. The better teachers tend to teach the lower students BTW (at least at the schools I've been to)...because think about it: anybody can teach an honors class-those kids want to learn and work. You could get them to work and be somewhat productive. However not everybody can get a group of kids working their asses off in a "reguar" class full of kids whose parents are in prison, dead, or abandoned them...I can and do every single day.

My school gives me the "rough" kids, they give them the kids with arrest records, who come from single parent homes, or even no parent homes...because I know how to reach them. I don't coddle them. I don't tell them it's ok to blame their actions on their situation. No I can't reach every single and yes I do firmly believe that some of them cannot be reached-but I reach most and get them on the straight and narrow path.

As for when you say "A student from the a low income family with SAT scores in the top twenty five percent has the same chance of attending a four year university as the student from the high income family scoring in the bottom 25%."--that's just blatantly wrong and shows me that you have zero experience in dealing with this generation's graduating glasses. Last year I helped a kid who grew up in a single parent home with no money (he worked at McDonald's or Walgreen's every day just for his family to get by)...and I got him a nice scholarship. It was hard work and he had to be dedicated (he was), but all of his hard work paid off in the terms of a fat scholarship. He came back to the school the other week in tears, gave me a hug and thanked for all of the work I did. I didn't earn it, I assisted him, I guided him but he did the work. I did NOT coddle him. He didn't get an easy "a" from me-he worked his ass off, and as a result EARNED himself a scholarship to a good school.

Poor kids do have one significant disadvantage: their parents. Their parents tend to be less educated than rich kids and therefore their parents are less able to help them academically with school work or concepts, and in many cases their parents simply don't hold education with as much regard. Realistically what could you possibly do about that? There's nothing that can be done. If you were able to solve that problem to get the poor kids on an even level playing field as the rich kids you'd be a multi-millionaire overnight.

As for when you say "A student from the a low income family with SAT scores in the top twenty five percent has the same chance of attending a four year university as the student from the high income family scoring in the bottom 25%."--that's just blatantly wrong and shows me that you have zero experience in dealing with this generation's graduating glasses.

Here are you some numbers to ponder. And I will give you a source.

Close to four out of five students from the highest income quartile get a college degree, for the lowest, it is one out of ten.

And yep, my percentages should be about right. Hell, in 1999 a black student from the lowest income quintile with an SAT above 1200 only at a 4% chance of even applying to college. For white students in the same income quintile, it was 14%.

When you get right down to it, the chance of a student from the highest quintile NOT getting a college degree from a four year university is about equivalent to a student from the lowest quintile applying to one.

Poor Students Are The Real Victims Of College Discrimination

As for when you say "A student from the a low income family with SAT scores in the top twenty five percent has the same chance of attending a four year university as the student from the high income family scoring in the bottom 25%."--that's just blatantly wrong and shows me that you have zero experience in dealing with this generation's graduating glasses.

Here are you some numbers to ponder. And I will give you a source.

Close to four out of five students from the highest income quartile get a college degree, for the lowest, it is one out of ten.

And yep, my percentages should be about right. Hell, in 1999 a black student from the lowest income quintile with an SAT above 1200 only at a 4% chance of even applying to college. For white students in the same income quintile, it was 14%.

When you get right down to it, the chance of a student from the highest quintile NOT getting a college degree from a four year university is about equivalent to a student from the lowest quintile applying to one.

Poor Students Are The Real Victims Of College Discrimination

You're moving the goal posts...you stated that a poor kid with the same SAT scores couldn't attend the same colleges/universities as the rich kids. Your original point wasn't that more rich kids attend college than poor kids, it was that colleges prefer the rich kids and will take a rich kid over a poor kid anyday-even if their test scores, grades, or extracurricular activities aren't as impressive. Your post doesn't mention that aspect whatsoever.

Of course more rich kids go to college than poor kids-that's a no brainer and realistically will never change-even if you made college free for everybody.

As I stated in another post this isn't necessarily due to their income. I assure you that the poorer kids actually have more scholarship opportunities than the rich ones (and I don't have any real issues with that mind you). But the problem is very simple: most kids who come from poor backgrounds come from families that don't view education as a priority, whereas most kids who come from a rich background do have families that place an emphasis on an education. It really is that simple.

Think about it: if a kid's parents work at McDonald's and dropped out in the 9/10th grad...how could they realistically prepare them for an Algebra exam, or a writing exam? They can't.

Have you ever taught a kid who has to work the overnight shift at McDonald's to pay the rent before? Have you taught a kid who's growing up being shuffled from foster home to foster home? Have you taught a kid whose dad abandoned them and their mom? I highly doubt it, because if you had you'd understand what I'm discussing here.

Of course this post is generalizing and there are always exceptions to the norm, however the workers paid the least amount in society tend to have the least amount of skills...therefore they're the least equiped to assist their kids with the ability to acquire skills. If you dropped out and are a single parent how could you possibly prepare your kid to attend/apply to/etc. college? You can't. It's really that simple.

The above should not be used as a crutch or an excuse to students-because the world wont care. A former student of mine had a rough life...dad was serving a life sentence in prison, mom was addicted to meth, and he and his 4 siblings were raised by grandma and grandpa (who tried their best but were overwhelmed). Do you think the judge cared about that when he was recently sentenced? No. That's why he's currently behind bars. unfortunately the education system has taught him, and many other students, that there are always 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, and even 8th chances in life (no I'm not exaggerating)...then they get to the "real world" where that no longer exists. It's the kids with no structure in their personal lives that need structure at school the most--and society has been castrating that concept for a while now.

Forum List

Back