Executive Order to forgive $50,000 in student debt

Also (and I'm sure someone brought this up - but I'm not reading 435 posts this morning), do people who worked through college and paid their own tuition get the bene? Or just those who went in over their head in debt? What about those who have already paid back their student debt, or refinanced it? Are they just taking one for the team?

Did the thousands of businesses that went bankrupt all get bailed out?

I'm sure all kinds of corrupt bailouts have happened. Again, part of the problem, or part of the solution? Take your pick.

There is no pick.
Are going all metaphysical on me? (there is no spoon) Just to weasel out of a political debate?

Simply stating facts..........

Facts? "There is no pick" isn't a fact. It's a silly quip.
if Bush, Obama, Trump and Biden all have been on board, what exactly do you suggest?

I don't know what previous presidents have to do with the discussion, but I'd suggest we let bankruptcy courts decide who wins. If it's up to Congress or the feds, I know who will win - the folks with the best lobbyists (ie the banks and schools who've been profiting from the student loan gravy train).

Empty rhetoric because you do understand my reason for bringing up the presidents.
No, I don't. It's irrelevant to the discussion.

Neither Bush, Obama or Trump insisted on that. You expect some imaginary being is all of a sudden going to demand it. Solutions that aren't even being proposed is not a solution.
Do people who worked through college and paid their own tuition get the bene? Or just those who went in over their head in debt? What about those who have already paid back their student debt, or refinanced it? Why are the people who were fiscally responsible left out?

I've answered this already. Did every business that made bad decisions get bailed out? No.

How is that fair?

It's not right to payoff loans for people who knew what they were signing. They had an obligation. Students, banks, whatever. Why are you ok with some being bailed out and not others?

I've answered that many times. You want to argue to give every single person 50K? Go ahead. I'll not argue against it.

Is there any raid of taxpayer money you would argue against? Where does the 'free shit' mentality end?

Also (and I'm sure someone brought this up - but I'm not reading 435 posts this morning), do people who worked through college and paid their own tuition get the bene? Or just those who went in over their head in debt? What about those who have already paid back their student debt, or refinanced it? Are they just taking one for the team?

I'm sure all kinds of corrupt bailouts have happened. Again, part of the problem, or part of the solution? Take your pick.

There is no pick.
Are going all metaphysical on me? (there is no spoon) Just to weasel out of a political debate?

if Bush, Obama, Trump and Biden all have been on board, what exactly do you suggest?

I don't know what previous presidents have to do with the discussion, but I'd suggest we let bankruptcy courts decide who wins. If it's up to Congress or the feds, I know who will win - the folks with the best lobbyists (ie the banks and schools who've been profiting from the student loan gravy train).

Empty rhetoric because you do understand my reason for bringing up the presidents.

Neither Bush, Obama or Trump insisted on that. You expect some imaginary being is all of a sudden going to demand it. Solutions that aren't even being proposed is not a solution.
Do people who worked through college and paid their own tuition get the bene? Or just those who went in over their head in debt? What about those who have already paid back their student debt, or refinanced it? Why are the people who were fiscally responsible left out?

I've answered this already. Did every business that made bad decisions get bailed out? No.

How is that fair?

Bailout for those fucked over by the covid response are a different issue. Student loans have nothing to do with covid.

We've been bailing entities out for a long time but yes, it's all the same. Tom Brady's company got a million dollars. How much did the standard student get?

So, it seems your entire argument is: There's lots of stupid, corrupt bailouts, we should have more!

My argument is that they should not just go to the well connected. As long as we continue to do that I'm going to support it for all. Don't argue with me, argue with those who protect the well connected.

I'll argue with anyone who supports any of it.

And accomplish nothing.

There is no pick.

How is that fair?

It's not right to payoff loans for people who knew what they were signing. They had an obligation. Students, banks, whatever. Why are you ok with some being bailed out and not others?

I've answered that many times. You want to argue to give every single person 50K? Go ahead. I'll not argue against it.

Is there any raid of taxpayer money you would argue against? Where does the 'free shit' mentality end?

I would argue to stop it all but since that is not going to happen, I am going to support it for all.

Most of this "free shit" has went to the very few.

There is no pick.

How is that fair?

Bailout for those fucked over by the covid response are a different issue. Student loans have nothing to do with covid.

We've been bailing entities out for a long time but yes, it's all the same. Tom Brady's company got a million dollars. How much did the standard student get?

So, it seems your entire argument is: There's lots of stupid, corrupt bailouts, we should have more!

My argument is that they should not just go to the well connected. As long as we continue to do that I'm going to support it for all. Don't argue with me, argue with those who protect the well connected.

And accomplish nothing.

Uh... so what? Is this just your way of spitting on the floor and walking away?

I would argue to stop it all but since that is not going to happen, I am going to support it for all.

Wow, that's pretty fucked up ... "I'd argue to end all police brutality, but since that's not going to happen, let's bash some heads!"

There is no pick.

How is that fair?

And accomplish nothing.

Uh... so what? Is this just your way of spitting on the floor and walking away?

I've not thought of it in that way, but I suppose one could look at it like that.

There is no pick.

How is that fair?

Wow... "I'd argue against all police brutality, but since that's not going to happen, let's bash some heads!"

We have made gains there. 13 years and the pumping continues. Why shouldn't all benefit more equally there?

There is no pick.

How is that fair?

No, you don't get it. That's not my argument. The states that locked down their own citizens owe them compensation for what they did to them. If you took out a loan for a car note, tuition and signed. You need to be held responsible. Same as banks and big corporations.

There is no pick.

How is that fair?

Wow... "I'd argue against all police brutality, but since that's not going to happen, let's bash some heads!"

We have made gains there. 13 years and the pumping continues. Why shouldn't all benefit more equally there?
What???

There is no pick.

How is that fair?

No, you don't get it. That's not my argument. The states that locked down their own citizens owe them compensation for what they did to them. If you took out a loan for a car note, tuition and signed. You need to be held responsible. Same as banks and big corporations.

I don't think liberals care much about the reasoning behind it. Free shit is free shit!

There is no pick.

How is that fair?

No, you don't get it. That's not my argument. The states that locked down their own citizens owe them compensation for what they did to them.

It isn't the states that bailed them out. The Federal Government is the one that gave a million dollars to Tom Brady ( yes I understand what I'm doing here by picking on one example but it works)

Sue your state. I'll not argue.

If you took out a loan for a car note, tuition and signed. You need to be held responsible. Same as banks and big corporations.

That isn't what happened nor is it what is still happening. When that happens, let me know and I'll reconsider my position.

There is no pick.

How is that fair?

It is not an issue of bailout, I is an issue of fairness.
I, too, took out student loans for both of my boys....Actually, not student loans....I took out a HELOC...a lien against my house. I have since paid that off, but it took about 5 years to do so at a sacrifice. What sacrifice? No vacations, no luxuries, no 65 inch TV's for 5 years. Why? I made a commitment and I stuck to it.
If I went with FASFA, I will get a pass....giving me 50K more to spend....either now or over the last 5 years.
But no one is saying "we will give a pass to those that did the responsible thing" like I did....all I am hearing is how they will give a pass to those that shot the dice and hoped for the best.

That is what makes it wrong.

There is no pick.

How is that fair?

I don't think liberals care much about the reasoning behind it. Free shit is free shit!

I'm the one that argues to stop with the bailing out and I'm the liberal? I've argued it for years. I was with those who initially killed TARP.

There is no pick.

How is that fair?

I, too, took out student loans for both of my boys....Actually, not student loans....I took out a HELOC...a lien against my house. I have since paid that off, but it took about 5 years to do so at a sacrifice. What sacrifice? No vacations, no luxuries, no 65 inch TV's for 5 years. Why? I made a commitment and I stuck to it.
If I went with FASFA, I will get a pass....giving me 50K more to spend....either now or over the last 5 years.
But no one is saying "we will give a pass to those that did the responsible thing" like I did....all I am hearing is how they will give a pass to those that shot the dice and hoped for the best.

Tom Brady's company got a million dollars. The student got nothing. How is that fair?

I know anything to do with 'Social Justice" sucks.
Exactly. And you use that self defense mechanism just justify not knowing shit about shit about it, yet having a strong opinion anyway. Uh... good for you.

By the way, at the university where I teach sometimes, the Diversity Office lead position was just filled at a 6-figure salary. And this was after the gentleman lost out on a similar position at a locally based bank for over double that salary. So you keep pounding that nail and complaining about things you know nothing about.

And that's why the cost to get a degree is so over inflated, appointing bloviated, self important SJW's to high paying positions that result in nothing from a productive standpoint. Why do you need a Diversity Office at universities that are 98% run by leftists and attended by a generation that has already been brain washed by the SJW propaganda?

There is no pick.

How is that fair?

You're not following the argument: See, lots of other things are wrong too, so that makes it ok. Got it?

There is no pick.

How is that fair?

You're not following the argument: See, lots of other things are wrong too, so that makes it ok. Got it?
If I am not following the debate, I take blame as I did not read every post.

I apologize for interjecting from a position of ignorance..

It happens. Especially on a message board.

There is no pick.

How is that fair?

I was being sarcastic. The "argument" is a pathetic excuse. As you said, it's wrong.

There is no pick.

How is that fair?

No, what you did was make it an issue of "fairness". You just didn't take it far enough. Nothing wrong with your argument but to continue you need to answer my question.

You argued for fairness. With the last bail out Tom Brady's company got a million dollars while students got nothing. Do you see that as fair?

There is no pick.

How is that fair?

We have Parent Plus loans that we are currently paying back, but I'm guessing that most responsible parents that are diligently repaying their loans will not be included in any reductions of loan totals, so I really doubt that I will 'get a pass', and certainly didn't decide to borrow that way hoping that in the future the debt would be erased. It will be the people that borrowed and for whatever reason haven't gotten good paying jobs that will get the reduction, I would be shocked if it is not income driven, if it happens at all.

Forum List

Back