Executive Order to forgive $50,000 in student debt

If banks and businesses didn't have to pay the money back, I don't see why all should not be held to the same standard.
he banks made bad loans they should be the only ones on the hook for the money

Banks have nothing to do with it. The loans are from the US government.

Stafford Loans are federal loans made by the government, meaning you're borrowing directly from the U.S. Department of Education. That's who you'll repay when it's time, too. Today, 92% of all student loans are made by the federal government.

www.salliemae.com
Then the loan qualifications need to be extremely upgraded.
The people are getting loans that are enough to buy a house with no collateral and no job? That is no way to run a business. They need to hold the loan officers responsible. Again more federal employees fucking up big time and not being held responsible for their actions

I think it would be completely fair and sensible for people applying for student loans to be asked for a business/financial plan by which they intend to pay the loan back, the same way one does for any other loan. Hey, they're going to college to learn, so the first lesson they need to learn is how to research and present a plan for their frigging future.

Bernie had a plan where there was a small fee on the trade of stocks. Since there really is no such thing as pensions any longer most people will contribute to a 401k after they graduate and pay into the program themselves.

Also (and I'm sure someone brought this up - but I'm not reading 435 posts this morning), do people who worked through college and paid their own tuition get the bene? Or just those who went in over their head in debt? What about those who have already paid back their student debt, or refinanced it? Are they just taking one for the team?

Did the thousands of businesses that went bankrupt all get bailed out?

I'm sure all kinds of corrupt bailouts have happened. Again, part of the problem, or part of the solution? Take your pick.

There is no pick.
Are going all metaphysical on me? (there is no spoon) Just to weasel out of a political debate?

Simply stating facts..........

Facts? "There is no pick" isn't a fact. It's a silly quip.
if Bush, Obama, Trump and Biden all have been on board, what exactly do you suggest?

I don't know what previous presidents have to do with the discussion, but I'd suggest we let bankruptcy courts decide who wins. If it's up to Congress or the feds, I know who will win - the folks with the best lobbyists (ie the banks and schools who've been profiting from the student loan gravy train).

Empty rhetoric because you do understand my reason for bringing up the presidents.
No, I don't. It's irrelevant to the discussion.

If banks and businesses didn't have to pay the money back, I don't see why all should not be held to the same standard.
The banks made bad loans they should be the only ones on the hook for the money

Well, covering the bank's losses is the whole point here, eh?

Already covered. It's not the banks money.

The banks wrote the loans, with their money. They collect the interest payments.

For about the 4th time in this thread, student loans do NOT come from banks. They come from the federal government. Banks have NOTHING to do with this topic. NONE!

Before 2011, they most certainly did.

Also (and I'm sure someone brought this up - but I'm not reading 435 posts this morning), do people who worked through college and paid their own tuition get the bene? Or just those who went in over their head in debt? What about those who have already paid back their student debt, or refinanced it? Are they just taking one for the team?

I'm sure all kinds of corrupt bailouts have happened. Again, part of the problem, or part of the solution? Take your pick.

There is no pick.
Are going all metaphysical on me? (there is no spoon) Just to weasel out of a political debate?

if Bush, Obama, Trump and Biden all have been on board, what exactly do you suggest?

I don't know what previous presidents have to do with the discussion, but I'd suggest we let bankruptcy courts decide who wins. If it's up to Congress or the feds, I know who will win - the folks with the best lobbyists (ie the banks and schools who've been profiting from the student loan gravy train).

Empty rhetoric because you do understand my reason for bringing up the presidents.

Neither Bush, Obama or Trump insisted on that. You expect some imaginary being is all of a sudden going to demand it. Solutions that aren't even being proposed is not a solution.

The banks paid back their debt when they were bailed out in 2008. That's no defense of them. I've been against every stimulus ever proposed. Govt is to blame for creating these problems. They do never ending bailouts, never ending stimulus and expect good results. This is lunacy on an epic scale.

Congratulations US Taxpayer, looks like you will get to pick up the $50,000 tab of irresponsible college students and families who took on more debt than they could handle because they felt entitled to go to private elite colleges 3 time zones away and concentrate their studies in useless majors that have no demand in the job market. These students and families who feel entitled to this have the audacity to say they have been “enslaved” or victimized by student debt.

Moving forward, there needs to be more controls in place to qualify students and their families towards state and local institutions and concentrations of study that yield good paying jobs.

Check your race cards and class warfare bullshit at the door.
I think this is much ado about nothing. Contracts cannot be undone by EO. Courts can do it if the contract is shown to be invalid or illegal, but they are going to have to find another way. Lenders will not stand for it.

Did you bother to read the linked article? They're not talking about wiping out loans held by other institutions (yet); they're talking about wiping out loans held by the federal government.
Guaranteed Student Loans issued before 2011 were from banks. If those are off the table, I'd like to see it in writing.

The banks paid back their debt when they were bailed out in 2008. That's no defense of them. I've been against every stimulus ever proposed. Govt is to blame for creating these problems. They do never ending bailouts, never ending stimulus and expect good results. This is lunacy on an epic scale.

No they did not. I have done this many times also. They paid back some but they also used programs like HARP to pretend to pay back TARP.

They paid it back by the Fed pumping trillions of dollars into the markets which greatly benefitted the entities that supposedly was "paying this back". They paid it back by getting billions and the Federal Reserve paying them interest on these billions.

There is no pick.

Neither Bush, Obama or Trump insisted on that. You expect some imaginary being is all of a sudden going to demand it. Solutions that aren't even being proposed is not a solution.
Do people who worked through college and paid their own tuition get the bene? Or just those who went in over their head in debt? What about those who have already paid back their student debt, or refinanced it? Why are the people who were fiscally responsible left out?

There is no pick.

Do people who worked through college and paid their own tuition get the bene? Or just those who went in over their head in debt? What about those who have already paid back their student debt, or refinanced it? Why are the people who were fiscally responsible left out?

I've answered this already. Did every business that made bad decisions get bailed out? No.

How is that fair?

Congratulations US Taxpayer, looks like you will get to pick up the $50,000 tab of irresponsible college students and families who took on more debt than they could handle because they felt entitled to go to private elite colleges 3 time zones away and concentrate their studies in useless majors that have no demand in the job market. These students and families who feel entitled to this have the audacity to say they have been “enslaved” or victimized by student debt.

Moving forward, there needs to be more controls in place to qualify students and their families towards state and local institutions and concentrations of study that yield good paying jobs.

Check your race cards and class warfare bullshit at the door.
I have zero problem with canceling student debt. Assuming of course its' on the colleges to take the hit, not the government paying off the loan. It is after all partly the colleges fault for offering something it knows damn well is useless.

Well... If they don't know, then they are pretty shitty colleges... And as such should take the hit anyway.

The colleges won't take the hit, because they aren't the ones who loaned the money.

True, they just received the money. And happily spent it.

There is no pick.

I've answered this already. Did every business that made bad decisions get bailed out? No.

How is that fair?

Bailoutsfor those fucked over by the covid response are a different issue. Student loans have nothing to do with covid.

There is no pick.

That's right. What about those of us who were responsible and accountable.

There is no pick.

How is that fair?

Bailout for those fucked over by the covid response are a different issue. Student loans have nothing to do with covid.

We've been bailing entities out for a long time but yes, it's all the same. Tom Brady's company got a million dollars. How much did the standard student get?

There is no pick.

How is that fair?

Bailout for those fucked over by the covid response are a different issue. Student loans have nothing to do with covid.

We've been bailing entities out for a long time but yes, it's all the same. Tom Brady's company got a million dollars. How much did the standard student get?

So, it seems your entire argument is: There's lots of stupid, corrupt bailouts, we should have more!

There is no pick.

How is that fair?

It's not right to payoff loans for people who knew what they were signing. They had an obligation. Students, banks, whatever. Why are you ok with some being bailed out and not others?

There is no pick.

How is that fair?

So, it seems your entire argument is: There's lots of stupid, corrupt bailouts, we should have more!

My argument is that they should not just go to the well connected. As long as we continue to do that I'm going to support it for all. Don't argue with me, argue with those who protect the well connected.

There is no pick.

How is that fair?

It's not right to payoff loans for people who knew what they were signing. They had an obligation. Students, banks, whatever. Why are you ok with some being bailed out and not others?

I've answered that many times. You want to argue to give every single person 50K? Go ahead. I'll not argue against it.

No they did not. I have done this many times also. They paid back some but they also used programs like HARP to pretend to pay back TARP.

They paid it back by the Fed pumping trillions of dollars into the markets which greatly benefitted the entities that supposedly was "paying this back". They paid it back by getting billions and the Federal Reserve paying them interest on these billions.

They just played the game but they did
pay them back regardless of how the fed stepped in. The fed pumped 8 trillion dollars during the O years and we have people.saying it was a wonderful real economy.

There is no pick.

How is that fair?

My argument is that they should not just go to the well connected. As long as we continue to do that I'm going to support it for all. Don't argue with me, argue with those who protect the well connected.

I'll argue with anyone who supports any of it.

They just played the game but they did
pay them back regardless of how the fed stepped in. The fed pumped 8 trillion dollars during the O years and we have people.saying it was a wonderful real economy.

They paid taxpayers bailouts with other taxpayer funded bailouts. That's no different than what many who took student loans will be doing.

Yes, there are a ton of hypocritical Obama supporters. Obama failed at every aspect of being a president.

Forum List

Back