Executive Order to forgive $50,000 in student debt

Also (and I'm sure someone brought this up - but I'm not reading 435 posts this morning), do people who worked through college and paid their own tuition get the bene? Or just those who went in over their head in debt? What about those who have already paid back their student debt, or refinanced it? Are they just taking one for the team?

Did the thousands of businesses that went bankrupt all get bailed out?

I'm sure all kinds of corrupt bailouts have happened. Again, part of the problem, or part of the solution? Take your pick.

There is no pick.
Are going all metaphysical on me? (there is no spoon) Just to weasel out of a political debate?

Simply stating facts..........

Facts? "There is no pick" isn't a fact. It's a silly quip.
if Bush, Obama, Trump and Biden all have been on board, what exactly do you suggest?

I don't know what previous presidents have to do with the discussion, but I'd suggest we let bankruptcy courts decide who wins. If it's up to Congress or the feds, I know who will win - the folks with the best lobbyists (ie the banks and schools who've been profiting from the student loan gravy train).

Empty rhetoric because you do understand my reason for bringing up the presidents.
No, I don't. It's irrelevant to the discussion.

Neither Bush, Obama or Trump insisted on that. You expect some imaginary being is all of a sudden going to demand it. Solutions that aren't even being proposed is not a solution.
Do people who worked through college and paid their own tuition get the bene? Or just those who went in over their head in debt? What about those who have already paid back their student debt, or refinanced it? Why are the people who were fiscally responsible left out?

I've answered this already. Did every business that made bad decisions get bailed out? No.

How is that fair?

Bailout for those fucked over by the covid response are a different issue. Student loans have nothing to do with covid.

We've been bailing entities out for a long time but yes, it's all the same. Tom Brady's company got a million dollars. How much did the standard student get?

So, it seems your entire argument is: There's lots of stupid, corrupt bailouts, we should have more!

My argument is that they should not just go to the well connected. As long as we continue to do that I'm going to support it for all. Don't argue with me, argue with those who protect the well connected.
It is not an issue of bailout, I is an issue of fairness.
I, too, took out student loans for both of my boys....Actually, not student loans....I took out a HELOC...a lien against my house. I have since paid that off, but it took about 5 years to do so at a sacrifice. What sacrifice? No vacations, no luxuries, no 65 inch TV's for 5 years. Why? I made a commitment and I stuck to it.
If I went with FASFA, I will get a pass....giving me 50K more to spend....either now or over the last 5 years.
But no one is saying "we will give a pass to those that did the responsible thing" like I did....all I am hearing is how they will give a pass to those that shot the dice and hoped for the best.

That is what makes it wrong.

You're not following the argument: See, lots of other things are wrong too, so that makes it ok. Got it?
If I am not following the debate, I take blame as I did not read every post.

I apologize for interjecting from a position of ignorance..

It happens. Especially on a message board.

No, what you did was make it an issue of "fairness". You just didn't take it far enough. Nothing wrong with your argument but to continue you need to answer my question.

You argued for fairness. With the last bail out Tom Brady's company got a million dollars while students got nothing. Do you see that as fair?

So any and every fucking government bailout is OK, 'cause Tom Brady'?

Also (and I'm sure someone brought this up - but I'm not reading 435 posts this morning), do people who worked through college and paid their own tuition get the bene? Or just those who went in over their head in debt? What about those who have already paid back their student debt, or refinanced it? Are they just taking one for the team?

I'm sure all kinds of corrupt bailouts have happened. Again, part of the problem, or part of the solution? Take your pick.

There is no pick.
Are going all metaphysical on me? (there is no spoon) Just to weasel out of a political debate?

if Bush, Obama, Trump and Biden all have been on board, what exactly do you suggest?

I don't know what previous presidents have to do with the discussion, but I'd suggest we let bankruptcy courts decide who wins. If it's up to Congress or the feds, I know who will win - the folks with the best lobbyists (ie the banks and schools who've been profiting from the student loan gravy train).

Empty rhetoric because you do understand my reason for bringing up the presidents.

Neither Bush, Obama or Trump insisted on that. You expect some imaginary being is all of a sudden going to demand it. Solutions that aren't even being proposed is not a solution.
Do people who worked through college and paid their own tuition get the bene? Or just those who went in over their head in debt? What about those who have already paid back their student debt, or refinanced it? Why are the people who were fiscally responsible left out?

I've answered this already. Did every business that made bad decisions get bailed out? No.

How is that fair?

Bailout for those fucked over by the covid response are a different issue. Student loans have nothing to do with covid.

We've been bailing entities out for a long time but yes, it's all the same. Tom Brady's company got a million dollars. How much did the standard student get?

So, it seems your entire argument is: There's lots of stupid, corrupt bailouts, we should have more!

My argument is that they should not just go to the well connected. As long as we continue to do that I'm going to support it for all. Don't argue with me, argue with those who protect the well connected.
I, too, took out student loans for both of my boys....Actually, not student loans....I took out a HELOC...a lien against my house. I have since paid that off, but it took about 5 years to do so at a sacrifice. What sacrifice? No vacations, no luxuries, no 65 inch TV's for 5 years. Why? I made a commitment and I stuck to it.
If I went with FASFA, I will get a pass....giving me 50K more to spend....either now or over the last 5 years.
But no one is saying "we will give a pass to those that did the responsible thing" like I did....all I am hearing is how they will give a pass to those that shot the dice and hoped for the best.

You're not following the argument: See, lots of other things are wrong too, so that makes it ok. Got it?

No, what you did was make it an issue of "fairness". You just didn't take it far enough. Nothing wrong with your argument but to continue you need to answer my question.

You argued for fairness. With the last bail out Tom Brady's company got a million dollars while students got nothing. Do you see that as fair?

If you wish to answer my question, answer it. I'm not addressing you ranting.

There is no pick.

How is that fair?

If I knew more about it, I would offer my opinion. But I don't.
And not that I care about Tom Brady. He does not need me to care about him.
I just truly know nothing of what you are talking about and I, for one, will never debate a topic I am uneducated on.

Ok, dumbass - I'll answer your question. Let's see, I guess you're talking about this one - "Do you see that as fair?" Answer: no.

Now, getting back to the topic, why should students who chose to go into debt be rewarded for it? (hint: it has nothing to do with Tom Brady)

There is no pick.

How is that fair?

If I knew more about it, I would offer my opinion. But I don't.
And not that I care about Tom Brady. He does not need me to care about him.
I just truly know nothing of what you are talking about and I, for one, will never debate a topic I am uneducated on.

Tom Brady's company TB12 took nearly $1MILLION in federal PPP funding

There is no pick.

How is that fair?

As it pertains to fairness.....Tom Brady has 7 rings, a great life, a beautiful intelligent wife.
Me? All I have is a decnet life and a beautiful wife....albeit, not like Giselle.
So.....so much for fairness,.

Ok, dumbass - I'll answer your question. Let's see, I guess you're talking about this one - "Do you see that as fair?" Answer: no.

Now, getting back to the topic, why should students who chose to go into debt be rewarded for it? (hint: it has nothing to do with Tom Brady)

I've answered that many times. As long as some get bailed out, I support it for all. How many times do I need to answer this?

There is no pick.

How is that fair?

As it pertains to fairness.....Tom Brady has 7 rings, a great life, a beautiful intelligent wife.
Me? All I have is a decnet life and a beautiful wife....albeit, not like Giselle.

Yeah well, avoid the point I suppose. You said you supported fairness.

There is no pick.

How is that fair?

I also said I was naive to what you are referring to so for me to comment would be childish.

Sorry. Unlike many on here, I do not try to debate topics I know little about.

It is not an issue of bailout, it is an issue of fairness.

True, but it is also a question of rewarding fiscal irresponsibility. One of the primary lessons I learned from my father was to live within your means and avoid debt if at all possible. It was a question of honor and integrity to pay off your debts, and those who didn't do that were viewed as unreliable - obviously something you didn't want to be known for. It was seen as a question of character to live responsibly and not be a burden on anyone else; a person's self esteem and the esteem of others were tied to that concept. So, you avoided taking on a debt if you could, and if you couldn't then you were duty-bound to pay it off.

Younger generations do not seem to hold that same idea. Nowadays, nobody cares. And a policy of paying off student debts just adds to the notion that being a responsible person is no big deal cuz the gov't will take care of it so no problem, right? I don't think that notion is good for "The Soul of America". Where is the honor and integrity in passing on our national debt to future generations? SOMEBODY ends up paying for what we over-spend on today, sooner or later the interest payments grow to be so large that we can't cover the rest of our federal gov'ts obligations, what happens then?

There is no pick.

How is that fair?

I also said I was naive to what you are referring to so for me to comment would be childish.

Sorry. Unlike many on here, I do not try to debate topics I know little about.

I provided context. Is it fair for Tom Brady to get a million dollars and for students to get nothing?

It is not an issue of bailout, it is an issue of fairness.

True, but it is also a question of rewarding fiscal irresponsibility. One of the primary lessons I learned from my father was to live within your means and avoid debt if at all possible. It was a question of honor and integrity to pay off your debts, and those who didn't do that were viewed as unreliable - obviously something you didn't want to be known for. It was seen as a question of character to live responsibly and not be a burden on anyone else; a person's self esteem and the esteem of others were tied to that concept. So, you avoided taking on a debt if you could, and if you couldn't then you were duty-bound to pay it off.

Younger generations do not seem to hold that same idea. Nowadays, nobody cares. And a policy of paying off student debts just adds to the notion that being a responsible person is no big deal cuz the gov't will take care of it so no problem, right? I don't think that notion is good for "The Soul of America". Where is the honor and integrity in passing on our national debt to future generations? SOMEBODY ends up paying for what we over-spend on today, sooner or later the interest payments grow to be so large that we can't cover the rest of our federal gov'ts obligations, what happens then?

You are assuming that many are not paying off their loans.

Are you willing to pay more in taxes to cover our $28 trillion debt?

Congratulations US Taxpayer, looks like you will get to pick up the $50,000 tab of irresponsible college students and families who took on more debt than they could handle because they felt entitled to go to private elite colleges 3 time zones away and concentrate their studies in useless majors that have no demand in the job market. These students and families who feel entitled to this have the audacity to say they have been “enslaved” or victimized by student debt.

Moving forward, there needs to be more controls in place to qualify students and their families towards state and local institutions and concentrations of study that yield good paying jobs.

Check your race cards and class warfare bullshit at the door.
Does Biden have authority to do that? Student loans were created by legislation from Congress.

Oh, like Congress has the stones and self-respect to object to having their powers usurped. They LIKE having other people do their jobs, so they don't have to take any of the heat.

Did you assume $100ks in debt on it and hop 3 time zones to attend a private college and whine like a bitch about it for the US taxpayer to bail you out because you couldn’t find a job? That is what needs to stop.

No, because 35 years ago, you could afford college because the state picked up most of the operating expenses of the University. So it actually made sense to go to a state college. Also, inflation hadn't eaten up the minimum wage and you could actually afford to go to college working a minimum wage job.

For instance, when I went to UIC in the 1980's, tuition and fees were about $500 a quarter (They weren't' actually quarters, they were more like trimesters, but never mind.) So I could pay for a four year degree spending about $6000.00. Today, In-state tuition at UIC is $15,214. It costs $60,000 to stay in state.

Now, I'd be happy to go back to what we had back then.

No argument here that the state schools are expensive enough and a challenge to manage that debt. Why open it up to put the burden up to 3X that for a private college and major that does not have more clearly defined job paths? That is my argument .... more restrictions and controls.

I was fortunate to not be as stupid of you.
Stupid *as* you. Lord knows I make spelling and grammar mistakes... I wouldn't normally hold that against someone. But... Damn son. That's horrible timing.

*chuckles*

so you gage intellect through grammar mistakes

Now that is a cerebral approach.

Odds are good that if you can't manage 4th-grade grammar and vocabulary (the age at which literate people learned to spell "gauge"), you didn't gain enough education to have anything useful to say.

Did you think the "cerebral approach" was to communicate as though you just arrived in this country?

I've answered that many times. As long as some get bailed out, I support it for all. How many times do I need to answer this?
Fascinating. So, you support free shit for everyone? Doesn't it occur to you that that's not viable? Are you just taking a kind of nihilist position?

Fascinating. So, you support free shit for everyone? Doesn't it occur to you that that's not viable? Are you just taking a kind of nihilist position?

Viable? Why not? There are tons of things we aren't paying for. Trump said that the debt is meaningless.

Viable? Why not? There are tons of things we aren't paying for. Trump said that the debt is meaningless.

You're a Trumpster now! That would explain the idiotic arguments.

I was fortunate to not be as stupid of you.
Stupid *as* you. Lord knows I make spelling and grammar mistakes... I wouldn't normally hold that against someone. But... Damn son. That's horrible timing.

*chuckles*

so you gage intellect through grammar mistakes

Now that is a cerebral approach.

Odds are good that if you can't manage 4th-grade grammar and vocabulary (the age at which literate people learned to spell "gauge"), you didn't gain enough education to have anything useful to say.

Did you think the "cerebral approach" was to communicate as though you just arrived in this country?

You do not recognize intellect because it eludes you.

This is common.

Peace

You're a Trumpster now! That would explain the idiotic arguments.

Why address me when you refuse to answer questions concerning your positions? If you really believe something, defend those things. I understand why you can't.

Forum List

Back