Explain to us Libs, what is a living wage?

Cost of living varies by state and city, so too could a living wage. But as many have asked, how to decide on what that should be? Here's one way. Take the average salary of a city and compare it to the average cost of a home. Can the average person afford a home?

As an example, take Fort Smith, AK. One of the lowest costs of living. Median salary is $35.7K and the average home price is $222K. Assuming a 20% down payment on the house, loan payments would be roughly $1100 per month. Every financial adviser will tell you that mortgages or rent should be no more than 25% of your salary. That means to get that house, a person would need to earn $52.8K. This means the average person earning the average wage CANNOT afford a home. Ever.

I would say that's not good. Wages would need to rise by 50% for the average person to afford an average home.

Now, for the people whining that if wages go up then prices will too, that's not true. Take a Company with a CEO who makes $10M a year and has 1200 workers making $10 an hour. If the CEO's pay is cut in half, then every worker could get $2 more per hour. A 20% increase. The total cost of labour would remain unchanged, so there would be no increases to pass along to customers. Prices would remain the same. And the workers would afford to buy more products, thus increasing sales.

And yes, I know. The poor rich guy would only have $5M to live on. Maybe he could sell a yacht to get by.

So, any job in Fort Smith should pay $52.8K? Doesn't matter what the work is? The guy who works for the nursery on the planting crew who comes to your house and digs the hole for your new tree should make $52.8K? The Wal-Mart greeter should make $52.8K? The waitress who brings you your cup of coffee should make $52.8K? What if the owner of the nursery or cafe only makes about $52.8K per year after overhead such as building lease, taxes, salaries, maintenance, etc? How is he going to pay each of his employees $52.8K per year? I guess if they charged $500 to plant your tree or $15 for a cup of coffee, it could be done.

You see, that is the problem with a "living wage". One size does not fit all. If every employer in Fort Smith were required to pay at a minimum $52.8K per year to each employee, it would be ghost town inside a month.

Do you class warfare/envy people even bother to think these fairytales thru?

Nice rant. Only problem is if you read my post you will see I am not asking for $52.8K for everyone. In fact, I clearly say " Wages would need to rise by 50%". Someone making $20K right now would then be making $30K. Still can't afford the house, but I never said everyone needed. Just the people in the middle. You know them. The Middle Class.

I'm well acquainted with the middle class. Been there for 54 years because my parents made the right choices and then I followed their example. I got an education, kept my nose clean, worked hard and moved to better jobs and pay over time.

So, any job in Fort Smith should pay $52.8K? Doesn't matter what the work is? The guy who works for the nursery on the planting crew who comes to your house and digs the hole for your new tree should make $52.8K? The Wal-Mart greeter should make $52.8K? The waitress who brings you your cup of coffee should make $52.8K? What if the owner of the nursery or cafe only makes about $52.8K per year after overhead such as building lease, taxes, salaries, maintenance, etc? How is he going to pay each of his employees $52.8K per year? I guess if they charged $500 to plant your tree or $15 for a cup of coffee, it could be done.

You see, that is the problem with a "living wage". One size does not fit all. If every employer in Fort Smith were required to pay at a minimum $52.8K per year to each employee, it would be ghost town inside a month.

Do you class warfare/envy people even bother to think these fairytales thru?

Nice rant. Only problem is if you read my post you will see I am not asking for $52.8K for everyone. In fact, I clearly say " Wages would need to rise by 50%". Someone making $20K right now would then be making $30K. Still can't afford the house, but I never said everyone needed. Just the people in the middle. You know them. The Middle Class.

I'm well acquainted with the middle class. Been there for 54 years because my parents made the right choices and then I followed their example. I got an education, kept my nose clean, worked hard and moved to better jobs and pay over time.

Good. Congratulations.

The problem with this country, though, is that if the younger generation follows what you did through life, they will end up much lower than middle class. That trend needs to be reversed.

First off, that's what I said. They all get $2 more per hour. If you read my post you would see that.

And I never claimed those were the only employees. I'm merely pointing out how it's possible to raise the wages of workers and not have an increase in costs, which means no price increases as a result.

And, man you assume a lot, I never said the Government needs to start setting salaries for CEOs. I think they should raise corporate taxes way up and then provide tax breaks based on the equality of salaries. The more equal, the less you pay in taxes.

Then you 've essentially done what you claim you aren't advocating. You say government shouldn't set CEO salaries then in the same breath say they should use the tax code to essentially influence CEO salaries. Here's one way we can work on this big debt issue we have; keep idiot libs like you from trying to use the tax code to engineer social outcomes. Why the hell do you think our tax code is such a mess in the first place? And what a CEO makes isn't any of your damn business. The only say you get over it is whether or not to buy what he's selling.

Good. Congratulations.

The problem with this country, though, is that if the younger generation follows what you did through life, they will end up much lower than middle class. That trend needs to be reversed.

Or perhaps, (god forbid), people need to adapt and do what is working now instead of assuming kwc's way is the 'right' way to get through life, the only way someone should get through life or the the way they should get through life. If something isn't working you a)stop doing that and b) find out what does.

Getting back to the original question of the thread, can I ask you guys. . . .

Does the guy who shows up for work and that's about all he does all day deserve a living wage?

Should the apprentice who won't be productive initially but wants to learn the trade receive a living wage?

Does the guy who works for the fun of it--security guard at the gated community; Wal-mart greeter; the guy who sells the programs at the ball game, etc.--do all these folks merit or deserve or should get a 'living wage'?

Or should a 'living wage' be something that people prepare themselves for, educate themselves for, sacrifice if necessary for, and merit by acquiring skills and making themselves valuable to their employers?

Last edited:
First off, that's what I said. They all get $2 more per hour. If you read my post you would see that.

And I never claimed those were the only employees. I'm merely pointing out how it's possible to raise the wages of workers and not have an increase in costs, which means no price increases as a result.

And, man you assume a lot, I never said the Government needs to start setting salaries for CEOs. I think they should raise corporate taxes way up and then provide tax breaks based on the equality of salaries. The more equal, the less you pay in taxes.

Then you 've essentially done what you claim you aren't advocating. You say government shouldn't set CEO salaries then in the same breath say they should use the tax code to essentially influence CEO salaries. Here's one way we can work on this big debt issue we have; keep idiot libs like you from trying to use the tax code to engineer social outcomes. Why the hell do you think our tax code is such a mess in the first place? And what a CEO makes isn't any of your damn business. The only say you get over it is whether or not to buy what he's selling.

If he's making tons of money and paying his workers crap to the point they need tax payer services, then it is VERY much business. If he pays them more then government spending comes down, and I think reducing government spending is very important to a lot of people.

This is why I talk about a tax break for the ratio of salaries. Pay the top guy whatever you want. I don't care! $100M annually! Go to town! All I'm saying is pay the guy at the bottom a fair ratio, because if you don't, tax payers will have to help him out, which isn't fair to them, so then the company pays more taxes to help that guy out.

I don't understand why people are so terrified of a corporation paying some workers more. Why does that scare you?

Good. Congratulations.

Or perhaps, (god forbid), people need to adapt and do what is working now instead of assuming kwc's way is the 'right' way to get through life, the only way someone should get through life or the the way they should get through life. If something isn't working you a)stop doing that and b) find out what does.

Bern, my point was that if you are born in to a good, middle class family, get a good education and don't do anything stupid (read:illegal) you should be able to do well. The problem is, that's going away in this country. Someone who follows that path now will be worse off than his parents, and that's ridiculous. That shouldn't happen.

If he's making tons of money and paying his workers crap to the point they need tax payer services, then it is VERY much business. If he pays them more then government spending comes down, and I think reducing government spending is very important to a lot of people.

This is why I talk about a tax break for the ratio of salaries. Pay the top guy whatever you want. I don't care! $100M annually! Go to town! All I'm saying is pay the guy at the bottom a fair ratio, because if you don't, tax payers will have to help him out, which isn't fair to them, so then the company pays more taxes to help that guy out.

I don't understand why people are so terrified of a corporation paying some workers more. Why does that scare you?

What scares me is the colossal level of ignorance you display. One can only hope you are just young and stupid. Otherwise...

Good. Congratulations.

Pardon me, but that is pure and utter bullshit. If they follow what I did, they will succeed as much as they want to. My 18 year old college freshman son is following our example and is studying a specialized field where companies are waiting for the kids to graduate and paying them very well right out of college. My nephew who is a couple of years older has a garage band that plays weekend gigs for beer money, is a clerk in a retail store and drops out of the one or two classes he enrolls in.......but he's happy as a stoned clam at this stage in life. Ten years from now....not so much and he'll be one of the have nots bitching about the haves and saying it isn't "fair". Life is about choices and you will live by the choices you make.

I can't believe some of you think working people don't really work and don't deserve a living wage. What are you? Overlords?

Honestly, I think some of you wish the south won the war and we still had slavery.

Last edited:

Good. Congratulations.

Pardon me, but that is pure and utter bullshit. If they follow what I did, they will succeed as much as they want to. My 18 year old college freshman son is following our example and is studying a specialized field where companies are waiting for the kids to graduate and paying them very well right out of college. My nephew who is a couple of years older has a garage band that plays weekend gigs for beer money, is a clerk in a retail store and drops out of the one or two classes he enrolls in.......but he's happy as a stoned clam at this stage in life. Ten years from now....not so much and he'll be one of the have nots bitching about the haves and saying it isn't "fair". Life is about choices and you will live by the choices you make.

Bingo

And the great thing is... we have the freedom to fail or succeed all on our own choices...

Getting back to the original question of the thread, can I ask you guys. . . .

Does the guy who shows up for work and that's about all he does all day deserve a living wage?

Should the apprentice who won't be productive initially but wants to learn the trade receive a living wage?

Does the guy who works for the fun of it--security guard at the gated community; Wal-mart greeter; the guy who sells the programs at the ball game, etc.--do all these folks merit or deserve or should get a 'living wage'?

Or should a 'living wage' be something that people prepare themselves for, educate themselves for, sacrifice if necessary for, and merit by acquiring skills and making themselves valuable to their employers?

There will always be jobs that are lower paying or part time and their salaries would be a challenge to live on. That will never go away and no one is trying to make it go away.

But when the median salary can't afford an average house, that's a problem. Median salaries are middle class. The middle class should be able to afford a middle class home and lifestyle.

What I think some people really want is for the US to function like a third world nation.

No public schools, libraries, low cost clinics, social services, etc etc.

The elite don't want to pay worker and they don't want us to invest in human beings, including the ones born poor.

Good. Congratulations.

And 10 years from now when your son's field is obsolete and his job is "down sized" so the CEO can get a fatter check, what then? Will he just jump into a new field of study? Or maybe he doesn't get "down sized" but instead his insurance is cut to lower costs for the business or his wages are held stagnant for 5 years so the shareholders can enjoy higher dividends. What then? Will he still be cheering about how awesome his life is?

And yes, I am well aware that you think the scenarios I just presented never happen anywhere ever.

I can't believe some of you think working people don't really work. What are you? Overlords?

Who said this?

I'm not naming any names but read back some of the criticism about workers and resentment that they get paid coming from someone who doesn't have to work for a living.

God forbid people should get paid what they are worth for honest work.

Do workers deserve breaks for safety?

Do you know that some 9/11 workers don't get breaks?

Last edited:
Good. Congratulations.

Bingo

And the great thing is... we have the freedom to fail or succeed all on our own choices...

If you think you fail or succeed purely on your choices alone, then you're going to have some painful growing up coming your way.

Not so long ago, I was privileged to hear the story of a Vietnamese immigrant who came into the USA with little more than a sponsor and a job waiting for him. Shortly after his arrival, the sponsor was killed in an accident and the job disappeared with him. The only work the immigrant could find was picking vegetables on a local farm so that is what he did. It was at near starvation wages but he didn't care.

However, the foreman noticed that he took great care to pick only the ripe vegetables and was careful in how he handled them so as not to bruise them. He arrived early for work and stayed late and was highly productive. Before long he was promoted to foreman, a position at which he also excelled and eventually manager. By living frugally and saving every dime he could, he was able to acquire enough venture capital to start his own business. The business is in its third year and is thriving. He recently married and is expecting his first child.

I found myself wondering how many Americans would be willing to do what he did to achieve the American dream? But he is living proof that it is still possible to achieve it when you expect to do it all on merit and not be given anything.

Not so long ago, I was privileged to hear the story of a Vietnamese immigrant who came into the USA with little more than a sponsor and a job waiting for him. Shortly after his arrival, the sponsor was killed in an accident and the job disappeared with him. The only work the immigrant could find was picking vegetables on a local farm so that is what he did. It was at near starvation wages but he didn't care.

However, the foreman noticed that he took great care to pick only the ripe vegetables and was careful in how he handled them so as not to bruise them. He arrived early for work and stayed late and was highly productive. Before long he was promoted to foreman, a position at which he also excelled and eventually manager. By living frugally and saving every dime he could, he was able to acquire enough venture capital to start his own business. The business is in its third year and is thriving. He recently married and is expecting his first child.

I found myself wondering how many Americans would be willing to do what he did to achieve the American dream? But he is living proof that it is still possible to achieve it when you expect to do it all on merit and not be given anything.

Link it.

Forum List

Back