Family Kicked Off Flight After Daughter With Autism Deemed 'Disruptive'

On one trip to Maui (4.5 hour flight) some kids a couple of row in front of us were having a hissy. Yelling, crying, they want this, they want that, hollering NO every time the parent said to sit down, kicking seats, squirming and elbowing and kicking the passengers on either side or in front or back. It was awful. I was so thankful we were about 5 rows behind them. People were getting pissed off. So...one guy from way in the back was going to Maui to do some kind of show and happened to have his favorite things. Balloons. So he got his spare gear from the overhead, went to the front of the plane section where the kids were holding every hostage with their temper tantrums, and commenced to dance as well as he could in the aisle while blowing up balloons into animal shapes. This guy did this for an hour. He entertained the kids..and the rest of the passengers in that section. We all applauded him for doing what he did.

Now....the airlines should make some sort of area in the back section of the plane near the bathrooms and changing tables. They don't serve food any more on those flights. So use that space for toy boxes, cribs, a few seats for parents.

It isn't rocket science. People will pay more for a peaceful and safe ride. That's where they make their money. And airlines ARE pondering these ideas due to people saying Fuck It. I'll go a different mode to get where I need to go.

I will never get back to maui again. But if some miracle happened and I could..I would take a cruise ship. No more flights for me. Why not? See above.
It's hard to believe you were ever a parent. Those who really raised children don't hate children like you clearly do.

On one trip to Maui (4.5 hour flight) some kids a couple of row in front of us were having a hissy. Yelling, crying, they want this, they want that, hollering NO every time the parent said to sit down, kicking seats, squirming and elbowing and kicking the passengers on either side or in front or back. It was awful. I was so thankful we were about 5 rows behind them. People were getting pissed off. So...one guy from way in the back was going to Maui to do some kind of show and happened to have his favorite things. Balloons. So he got his spare gear from the overhead, went to the front of the plane section where the kids were holding every hostage with their temper tantrums, and commenced to dance as well as he could in the aisle while blowing up balloons into animal shapes. This guy did this for an hour. He entertained the kids..and the rest of the passengers in that section. We all applauded him for doing what he did.

Now....the airlines should make some sort of area in the back section of the plane near the bathrooms and changing tables. They don't serve food any more on those flights. So use that space for toy boxes, cribs, a few seats for parents.

It isn't rocket science. People will pay more for a peaceful and safe ride. That's where they make their money. And airlines ARE pondering these ideas due to people saying Fuck It. I'll go a different mode to get where I need to go.

I will never get back to maui again. But if some miracle happened and I could..I would take a cruise ship. No more flights for me. Why not? See above.
It's hard to believe you were ever a parent. Those who really raised children don't hate children like you clearly do.
Look, fucktard, I don't hate children. I don't want to be around them when they act up. BEEN THERE, DONE THAT. Bring up my ability as a parent again and I will report you.

If you use public transportation, you don't get choose your travel companions. I had a guy, I believe was drunk, vomited on me. I don't mean just spit up a bit, I mean he covered me from head to toe. I spent over 4 hours on a LA to NY flight smelling like a slop jar.
I don't fly any more. But if I did, I would NOT want to be next to kids, obese people who take up my seat AND theirs, drunk people, etc. And no, I don't get to choose when I use public transportation. And there are many like me, tired of being stuffed like sardines next to brats, drunks, fatties. It's already an uncomfortable ride that cost ridiculous prices...it shouldn't have to spill over on to my head space or ear space. They already took leg space and elbow space.
I don't get why some folks INSIST we "tolerate" and "shut up" and "have some sympathy" when it shouldn't be our problem or what we state we do not like when flying and have a hissy fit just because we expect PEACE...if possible...when flying. We can't expect it, but I for one damn sure won't pussyfoot around and be all pc and say "oh, its ok". It's NOT ok.
No one makes you buy an airline ticket but if you do, you are agreeing to the contract of carriage which allows most of the inconvenience and disturbances you object to. If the airline didn't let the fatties, the kids, the drunks, and noisy passengers on the plane, they couldn't stay in business. Most of us are smart enough to realize this so we tolerate it.
I agree with you. So keep that in mind when the airlines say enough is enough and boot those people OFF THE PLANE.
Airlines are in business to make money. When they kick people off the plane they have to refund them their ticket. Also, they often end up in costly legal battles that get settled out of court.
They also lose business when people decide to go via train, boat, bus or their own vehicle. It's time for the airlines to consider ALL their passengers...not just screaming kids, drunks, the obese, assholes. That means no alcohol served on the plane, no passengers under the influence (make them take a breath test if they seem drunk before boarding), obese people need to purchase two seats (at a discount) and screaming kids parents told they will not be allowed to board until the kids are calmed down. Babies...they don't count. Babies cry. It's what they do.

And, airlines ARE waking up. Back of the plane...make a play room for children. Changing tables, etc. Stop the sardine cramming. And no booze served or allowed on the plane at any time. Bigger seats for obese people. Smooth all that out and the airlines will do fine. Until then..they will lose business because the NUMBER ONE COMPLAINT from airline passengers is...drumroll....KIDS.
Having some bad experience over the years, I can sympathizes but your suggestions are just not practical. Build a play room in the back of the plane and changing rooms means giving up rows of seats. When the difference between profit and loss is often the difference of 4 or 5 empty seats, that's not going happen. For an airline to stop serving drinks means they are going lose more customers plus revenue from drink sales. And more space per passenger means even less seats. The bottom line here is your proposals would mean big increases in the cost flying.

Maybe there is a place for a higher priced luxury carrier but I doubt it. Price is king when it comes to airline tickets. That's why airlines can get away with crappy food, uncomfortable seating, long lines at gate check in, and many other annoying aspects of airline travel.

I don't fly any more. But if I did, I would NOT want to be next to kids, obese people who take up my seat AND theirs, drunk people, etc. And no, I don't get to choose when I use public transportation. And there are many like me, tired of being stuffed like sardines next to brats, drunks, fatties. It's already an uncomfortable ride that cost ridiculous prices...it shouldn't have to spill over on to my head space or ear space. They already took leg space and elbow space.
I don't get why some folks INSIST we "tolerate" and "shut up" and "have some sympathy" when it shouldn't be our problem or what we state we do not like when flying and have a hissy fit just because we expect PEACE...if possible...when flying. We can't expect it, but I for one damn sure won't pussyfoot around and be all pc and say "oh, its ok". It's NOT ok.
No one makes you buy an airline ticket but if you do, you are agreeing to the contract of carriage which allows most of the inconvenience and disturbances you object to. If the airline didn't let the fatties, the kids, the drunks, and noisy passengers on the plane, they couldn't stay in business. Most of us are smart enough to realize this so we tolerate it.
I agree with you. So keep that in mind when the airlines say enough is enough and boot those people OFF THE PLANE.
Airlines are in business to make money. When they kick people off the plane they have to refund them their ticket. Also, they often end up in costly legal battles that get settled out of court.
They also lose business when people decide to go via train, boat, bus or their own vehicle. It's time for the airlines to consider ALL their passengers...not just screaming kids, drunks, the obese, assholes. That means no alcohol served on the plane, no passengers under the influence (make them take a breath test if they seem drunk before boarding), obese people need to purchase two seats (at a discount) and screaming kids parents told they will not be allowed to board until the kids are calmed down. Babies...they don't count. Babies cry. It's what they do.

And, airlines ARE waking up. Back of the plane...make a play room for children. Changing tables, etc. Stop the sardine cramming. And no booze served or allowed on the plane at any time. Bigger seats for obese people. Smooth all that out and the airlines will do fine. Until then..they will lose business because the NUMBER ONE COMPLAINT from airline passengers is...drumroll....KIDS.
Having some bad experience over the years, I can sympathizes but your suggestions are just not practical. Build a play room in the back of the plane and changing rooms means giving up rows of seats. When the difference between between profit and loss is often the difference of 4 or 5 empty seats, that's not going happen. For an airline to stop serving drinks means they are going lose more customers plus revenue from drink sales. And more space per passenger means even less seats. The bottom line here is your proposals would mean big increases in the cost flying.

Maybe there is a place for a higher priced luxury carrier but I doubt it. Price is king when comes to airline tickets. That's why airlines can get away with crappy food, uncomfortable seating, long lines at gate check in, and many other annoying aspects of airline travel.
Problem is...airlines would make the same amount, if not more, if they did as suggested. People ARE willing to pay more...for leg room, kids in the back, obese being more comfortable which means their neighbor is as well.....and as for booze? If I can go 4.5 hours without a cig, they can do the same without a bottle of booze.

Having some bad experience over the years, I can sympathizes but your suggestions are just not practical. Build a play room in the back of the plane and changing rooms means giving up rows of seats. When the difference between between profit and loss is often the difference of 4 or 5 empty seats, that's not going happen. For an airline to stop serving drinks means they are going lose more customers plus revenue from drink sales. And more space per passenger means even less seats. The bottom line here is your proposals would mean big increases in the cost flying.

Maybe there is a place for a higher priced luxury carrier but I doubt it. Price is king when comes to airline tickets. That's why airlines can get away with crappy food, uncomfortable seating, long lines at gate check in, and many other annoying aspects of airline travel.
Problem is...airlines would make the same amount, if not more, if they did as suggested. People ARE willing to pay more...for leg room, kids in the back, obese being more comfortable which means their neighbor is as well.....and as for booze? If I can go 4.5 hours without a cig, they can do the same without a bottle of booze.
If people were willing to pay more for luxuries such as more space per passenger, changing rooms, and play areas, the airlines would certainly provide it. There was a time when airlines didn't catered to the masses offering low fares and no frills. In the 1950s, often referred to as the golden age of airline travel, the airlines offered roomy seats, complementary before dinner cocktails, lobster and steaks served on china, no screeching kids, and no low class riff raff. Those days are long gone, airplanes have replaced buses and trains as the preferred means of travel for most Americans.

I've spent most of my life traveling for business purposes by air. I'm retired now, traveling mostly by RV or car. I rarely fly and when I do it's nonstop or I don't go.

If they want to stay in business, they will find better ways to accomodate those of us who have a voice they are ignoring.

In certain situations someone is going have to be on the losing end of whatever the issue is. Well in my opinion, it should never be those who have absolutely nothing to do with whatever the actual problem is especially if they outnumber those who are the problem. This may just be me, but I would rather one person be mad at me instead of a whole bunch of people.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

I don't believe this is true at all. Such people are actually rare on flights. Out of control drunks? I fly regularly and have never seen this. Kids? Sure, often, but never an out of control teenager, much less one who was violent. A person so fat he/she took up part of the seat of the person sitting next to him? Only the one time. I've sat next to pretty fat people, but not one that essentially pushed me out of my seat and caused great hardship to me. Noisy passengers? Yes, but never that noisy. Airlines have expectations of behavior, and they enforce that behavior on the plane They do not allow people on the plane who are disruptive or who threaten the peace and security of the plane. We do NOT tolerate hugely fat people, we do not tolerate out of control teens, we do not tolerate out of control drunks, and we only tolerate noise level to a point. Crying babies? Yes, they are tolerated because we know there isn't much that can be done about that. If a baby is crying and noisy, I use earplugs or headphones. If it is very disruptive, I ask to have my seat changed and usually get it. Even when the plane is full, there is usually someone who doesn't mind a noisy baby who will switch seats with me.

Airlines and passengers simply don't tolerate the things you are saying they tolerate. I fly often, and on long flights because I fly internationally. In a few weeks I'm going to France, it is a long flight from where I am with one stop over, so I'll be on two large planes. I expect there to be little or no problems with anyone being out of control or behaving badly. There are very often children and families on the plane when I fly; for the most part, parents keep their kids under control.

Maybe most of your flying had to do with business and took place on flights that were mostly full of business people. Therefore, you haven't experienced, flying, what many others experience.

Last edited:

Look, fucktard, I don't hate children. I don't want to be around them when they act up. BEEN THERE, DONE THAT. Bring up my ability as a parent again and I will report you.
I'm not questioning your ability as a parent, I'm saying you don't sound like one. And report away, silly. No rules have been broken.

I don't believe this is true at all. Such people are actually rare on flights. Out of control drunks? I fly regularly and have never seen this. Kids? Sure, often, but never an out of control teenager, much less one who was violent. A person so fat he/she took up part of the seat of the person sitting next to him? Only the one time. I've sat next to pretty fat people, but not one that essentially pushed me out of my seat and caused great hardship to me. Noisy passengers? Yes, but never that noisy. Airlines have expectations of behavior, and they enforce that behavior on the plane They do not allow people on the plane who are disruptive or who threaten the peace and security of the plane. We do NOT tolerate hugely fat people, we do not tolerate out of control teens, we do not tolerate out of control drunks, and we only tolerate noise level to a point. Crying babies? Yes, they are tolerated because we know there isn't much that can be done about that. If a baby is crying and noisy, I use earplugs or headphones. If it is very disruptive, I ask to have my seat changed and usually get it. Even when the plane is full, there is usually someone who doesn't mind a noisy baby who will switch seats with me.

Airlines and passengers simply don't tolerate the things you are saying they tolerate. I fly often, and on long flights because I fly internationally. In a few weeks I'm going to France, it is a long flight from where I am with one stop over, so I'll be on two large planes. I expect there to be little or no problems with anyone being out of control or behaving badly. There are very often children and families on the plane when I fly; for the most part, parents keep their kids under control.

Maybe most of your flying had to do with business and took place on flights that were mostly full of business people. Therefore, you haven't experienced, flying, what many others experience.
Yes, I agree passengers such this are rare but the point here is that airlines can't determine who these people are when they sell them a ticket and often not even when they board. For the airlines to determine alcohol consumption of passengers and the weight of all passengers, and who is likely to be a problem would be cost prohibit and would result in loss of business. And when airlines costs go up, we pay higher fares.

Airlines are public transportation like buses and trains. They can't deny service unless the passenger violates the contract of carriage and that can't occur until the ticket is sold and the passenger is on the plane. If the plane has taken off, then removing the passenger means landing the plane which can cost thousands of dollars plus delay of the other passengers.

Last edited:

Yes, I agree passengers such this are rare but the point here is that airlines can't determine who these people are when they sell them a ticket and often not even when they board. For the airlines to determine alcohol consumption of passengers and the weight of all passengers, and who is likely to be a problem would be cost prohibit and would result in loss of business. And when airlines costs go up, we pay higher fares.

Airlines are public transportation like buses and trains. They can't deny service unless the passenger violates the contract of carriage and that can't occur until the ticket is sold and the passenger is on the plane
Like I said..I would be willing to pay higher fares in exchange for no fatties next to me taking the space I PAID FOR, no screaming kids, no drunks, no special needs person that could open an exit door at 30,000 feet. I would have paid it when I was flying and I would pay it now if I started flying again. And I ain't alone.

Airlines are public transportation like buses and trains. They can't deny service unless the passenger violates the contract of carriage and that can't occur until the ticket is sold and the passenger is on the plane
Like I said..I would be willing to pay higher fares in exchange for no fatties next to me taking the space I PAID FOR, no screaming kids, no drunks, no special needs person that could open an exit door at 30,000 feet. I would have paid it when I was flying and I would pay it now if I started flying again. And I ain't alone.
I think most people that fly are more tolerant of other passengers than you and unlikely to pay higher fares to eliminate the occasional discomfort. I think we have beat this to death and will have to just agree to disagree.

I worked hard, Flopper. HARD. And I saved. And when it was time to go on vacation, I eagerly looked forward to it. I paid for my seat. I trusted the airlines to take care of my needs by paying for that ticket. Intolerant because I don't want someone half in my seat I worked my ass off to pay for? Ok. Intolerant that I don't want some smelly belching drunk next to me slurring and nudging me with his elbow at every thing he mumbled thinking he is witty? Ok. Intolerant of the brat behind me kicking the seat where I am trying to be as comfortable as I can without the banging frontwords and the mom ignoring it..or worse, the kid hangs over the seat babbling to me? Ok.

And yes. We will have to agree to disagree.
Some folks don't mind. I did. I do. Doesn't mean I think you are a bad person. Doesn't mean I am a bad person.

Airlines are public transportation like buses and trains. They can't deny service unless the passenger violates the contract of carriage and that can't occur until the ticket is sold and the passenger is on the plane. If the plane has taken off, then removing the passenger means landing the plane which can cost thousands of dollars plus delay of the other passengers.
Yes, I agree. I just believe that given all of the problems we have experienced in the last 2 or 3 decades, pilots are in a position to be very intolerant of anything that may disrupt the flight. I think it is the responsibility of the adult passengers to make the right decision as far as themselves and their families and what they assume the airline will tolerate. I don't blame the child at all, and I don't think it is about dealing with disabilities.

Btw, Flopper, thanks for the discussion. It's rare around here to be able to discuss differences without being called names or kicked to the curb. I appreciated the chat.

Forum List

Back