Family thanks maintenance employee for comforting dying mother in long term care facility

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
A sad, but oddly uplifting story in a nation where character has been lacking for too long. I won't ruin the entire story, but it was a simple but caring action to take.

“I said thank you for attending to my mom,” she said. “Are you a PSW or a nurse? He looked around and said ‘No, I’m just the maintenance guy.’

“I said ‘No sir, you are not just the maintenance guy, you are a saint for your kindness.’”:thup::salute:

Family thanks maintenance employee for comforting dying mother in long term care facility

On April 6, Margaret Roper found out her 93-year-old mother, Iris Roper, was diagnosed with COVID-19.
Iris was a resident of the Chartwell Ballycliffe Long Term Care Residence in Ajax, Ontario. On April 12, the care facility announced four residents had died of COVID-19, and another 25 residents and staff had confirmed cases.

Margaret and the rest of her family were unable to see Iris — Ballycliffe was closed to visitors since mid-March — and the facility’s nurses and personal support workers were too busy to use their phones to allow the family to do video chats.
“I know they were pretty stressed with the pandemic,” Margaret Roper told the National Post.

Iris Roper, 93, passed away on April 20, 2020.

You are right. He isn't rich and he has morals. Wants to help the average fella. O for 3 you might say. I'd vote for him.

To be honest.
It'd be easier to comfort a stranger than a family member.
More people should do it.
I second this. To me, some family members aren't even worth one second of time that is spent on them sadly and so who else is there but those who may not even have one person in their corner for whatever reason?

God bless you and those who are like that always!!!

Holly

To be honest.
It'd be easier to comfort a stranger than a family member.
More people should do it.
I second this. To me, some family members aren't even worth one second of time that is spent on them sadly and so who else is there but those who may not even have one person in their corner for whatever reason?

God bless you and those who are like that always!!!

Holly

I was referring to the mental stress actually.
Watching someone you love slowly dying is horribly stressful!!!
Having someone take your place for a day is a true blessing.

^^^ I agree that its a blessing when the help is there, but for me, the guilt ridden feelings would also be very much present when at the end of the day, what is on my plate is my responsibility and not supposed to be anyone else's problem.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

Forum List

Back