🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Fareed Zarkaria Bemoans Death Spiral of Middle Class White America, WAPO Exclusive

Procrustes Stretched

Dante's Manifesto
Dec 1, 2008
Why are white middle class Americans killing themselves in such numbers? Even a leading critic of the paper has acknowledged that, however measured, “the change compared to other countries and groups is huge.”
The headline says it all: “America’s self-destructive whites,”

America’s self-destructive whites

The main causes of death are as striking as the fact itself: suicide, alcoholism, and overdoses of prescription and illegal drugs. “People seem to be killing themselves, slowly or quickly,” Deaton told me. These circumstances are usually caused by stress, depression and despair. The only comparable spike in deaths in an industrialized country took place among Russian males after the collapse of the Soviet Union, when rates of alcoholism skyrocketed.

The United States is going through a great power shift. Working-class whites don’t think of themselves as an elite group. But, in a sense, they have been, certainly compared with blacks, Hispanics, Native Americans and most immigrants. They were central to America’s economy, its society, indeed its very identity. They are not anymore. Donald Trump has promised that he will change this and make them win again. But he can’t. No one can. And deep down, they know it.

Why are white middle class Americans killing themselves in such numbers? Even a leading critic of the paper has acknowledged that, however measured, “the change compared to other countries and groups is huge.”

The main causes of death are as striking as the fact itself: suicide, alcoholism, and overdoses of prescription and illegal drugs. “People seem to be killing themselves, slowly or quickly,” Deaton told me. These circumstances are usually caused by stress, depression and despair. The only comparable spike in deaths in an industrialized country took place among Russian males after the collapse of the Soviet Union, when rates of alcoholism skyrocketed.

The United States is going through a great power shift. Working-class whites don’t think of themselves as an elite group. But, in a sense, they have been, certainly compared with blacks, Hispanics, Native Americans and most immigrants. They were central to America’s economy, its society, indeed its very identity. They are not anymore. Donald Trump has promised that he will change this and make them win again. But he can’t. No one can. And deep down, they know it.
Dante, do you have an opinion on this article? Your use of the word 'bemoans' in your heading is a tell, but what is your opinion of the content and quotes in the body of the work?

You know in my opinion I do not feel suicidal nor do I feel that I am a lesser of a person for being white.

Maybe I don't suffer from white guilt...

Maybe the upbringing I had taught me that when it get tough you learn to adjust.

So seeing I am not one of those people make me wonder when should I expect you to off yourself?

Dante, do you have an opinion on this article? Your use of the word 'bemoans' in your heading is a tell, but what is your opinion of the content and quotes in the body of the work?
Too many middle class whites have embraced victimhood. Reminds me of Punk Rockers and all that middle class shit,

Used to be mostly suburban, but now most all my old friends have family taking part of this bullshit.

good riddance weak-kneed pathetic victims may be too strong. But some of us have had real hardship and we continue on because life is unfair. British blood makes some of us stronger

You know in my opinion I do not feel suicidal nor do I feel that I am a lesser of a person for being white.

Maybe the upbringing I had taught me that when it get tough you learn to adjust.

So seeing I am not one of those people make me wonder when should I expect you to off yourself?
Hey don't play the loser, it isn't about White Guilt. Take your attitude and keep it from sounding like racist bullshit. Okay? Just trying to help you

Hey don't play the loser, it isn't about White Guilt. Take your attitude and keep it from sounding like racist bullshit. Okay? Just trying to help you

When I need your help I will ask the devil first!

Now why do you have so much guilt?

Also I am as racist as you are sane, and neither one is true...

I find it funny I live with a Filipino and have worked with Persian's, Asian's, Mexican's, and Black's and I am a racist because I feel no white guilt...

I guess some feel shame for what they are but for me there is no shame within me, and just laughter at you...

Too many middle class whites have embraced victimhood. Reminds me of Punk Rockers and all that middle class shit,

Used to be mostly suburban, but now most all my old friends have family taking part of this bullshit.

good riddance weak-kneed pathetic victims may be too strong. But some of us have had real hardship and we continue on because life is unfair. British blood makes some of us stronger
Bravo to you for refusing to milk victimhood! Evidently the hardships you have experienced have made you a stronger AND better person. As we used to say in my youth...some's got it, and some ain't. You got IT!

Oh please. The whole lib ideology revolves around everyone being a victim.

Forum List

Back