FDR's Lend-Lease....or Stalin's?

That isn't the point, is it.

And, I did read all of it.
And more.

No...the point is two fold:
1.As the thread indicates,there is more to FDR's relationship with the USSR/Stalin than you apologists allow.

2. Intelligent people such as you and reggie are unable to break free of your childish worship, and address the real questions of history and politics.

I hope you will continue to read posts of mine that reveal links of FDR's to.....let's call it 'the unknown until now.'

You may comment or not, as you wish.

(My bold)

So, are you a Turing routine running on someone's mainframe? If so, please have the techs dial back on the condescension. & have them update your DBs - they seem antique. Try to get some more up-to-date stuff to hurl about.

& thanks for the permission, BTW.

And more.

1.As the thread indicates,there is more to FDR's relationship with the USSR/Stalin than you apologists allow.

2. Intelligent people such as you and reggie are unable to break free of your childish worship, and address the real questions of history and politics.

I hope you will continue to read posts of mine that reveal links of FDR's to.....let's call it 'the unknown until now.'

(My bold)

So, are you a Turing routine running on someone's mainframe? If so, please have the techs dial back on the condescension. & have them update your DBs - they seem antique. Try to get some more up-to-date stuff to hurl about.

Gee....I thought one who wrote "The specifics you mention remind me of a chihuahua yapping @ my ankles." would appreciate the tone.

"...up-to-date stuff...."
Actually, the material I provide is up-to-date stuff.....and that's exactly what you FDR-worshipers find annoying......

...what you refer to as 'yapping at your ankles.'
Some would call that condescending.

(My bold)

Nah, if you actually read the historum site - under "lend lease ussr nuclear material" you'll see calculations that the amount of uranium transferred couldn't possibly have been enough for a nuke pile. The amount of weapons-grade fissile U can't have been enough to construct a nuke device, not even assuming 100% efficiency in refining.

And more.

All those historians with that same childish worship, how do we account for that? How do we account for the American people's childish worship? How do we account for the years of Republican attempts to destroy that childish worship? So many attempts to undo that childish worship and it's still there, and worse, over time, it's no longer considered childish.
Oppenheimer and the others knew it would only be a matter of time until others built the bomb and the bigger question was should we use it on people or what?
And of Lend Lease, America sent factories to the USSR along with the butter and some day an author will discover that and out will come a book explaining how we dismantled General Motors and sent it to the USSR under the guise of Lend Lease.
Thousands of mistakes were made in WWII from bad decisions by PFC's to the president.

So....you'd like to hide behind "All those historians...."??

You use the word 'historian' as though it was other than a synonym for 'Liberal'

...let's disabuse you of that, immediately:

a. "The Commintern, the Communist International, was founded in Moscow in March, 1919. Not far behind it, the Communist Party, USA (CPUSA) was founded in Chicago in September, 1919. While the archives are rich with their literature, they are rarely studied, as most academic historians are on the left and have little interest in revealing or discussing the revelations or machinations therein."
Dr. Paul Kengor, Hoover Institution, Stanford “DUPES: How America's Adversaries Have Manipulated Progressives for a Century”

b. "The leading academics find that the greatest modern Presidents are those that have made government bigger and more powerful, and have expanded the reach of the presidency, i.e., Woodrow Wilson and FDR. By the same token, those Presidents with a limited-government POV, such as Harding, Coolidge and Reagan, are treated dismissively by journalists and historians."
Hayward, "The Politically Incorrect Guide to the Presidents: From Wilson to Obama"

c. "The same political correctness showed up in a planned exhibit to mark the 50th anniversary of the atomic bombing of Hiroshima. The commentary on the exhibit included: “For most Americans…it was a war of vengeance. For most Japanese, it was a war to defend their unique culture against Western imperialism.” Smithsonian historians didn’t care to comment on the blood war of aggression against China, atrocities in the Philippines and the surprise attack on Pearl Harbor."
Goldberg, "Liberal Fascism"

d. "Liberals have their pantheon of presidents, established by the New Deal historians. "Great presidents," in their view, are those who expand the size and scope of the federal government..."
Michael Barone, Opinion, Editorials, Columns, Op-Ed, Letters to the Editor, Commentary - Wall Street Journal - Wsj.com

You Leftists will say anything to avoid actual thinking....or confronting reality.

And more.

(My bold)

Gee....I thought one who wrote "The specifics you mention remind me of a chihuahua yapping @ my ankles." would appreciate the tone.

Actually, the material I provide is up-to-date stuff.....and that's exactly what you FDR-worshipers find annoying......

That up-to-date stuff is over seventy years old, it has been explored, gone over, piece by piece years ago by Republicans in their quest to defame FDR.
Conservatives can only hope a revival of that old material will be fresh and exciting to a new generation and maybe in book form it will garner a few bucks.
Perhaps conservatives would do better with a new investigation of the Pearl Harbor attack, or FDR's failure to rearm America. If those fail, how about FDR's dog, Fala? Fala was good for a short time.
These new revelations of ancient themes might sell books and excite some, but are pretty much old hat. In fact, I wonder if FDR is our most investigated president?

(My bold)

That up-to-date stuff is over seventy years old, it has been explored, gone over, piece by piece years ago by Republicans in their quest to defame FDR.
Conservatives can only hope a revival of that old material will be fresh and exciting to a new generation and maybe in book form it will garner a few bucks.
Perhaps conservatives would do better with a new investigation of the Pearl Harbor attack, or FDR's failure to rearm America. If those fail, how about FDR's dog, Fala? Fala was good for a short time.
These new revelations of ancient themes might sell books and excite some, but are pretty much old hat. In fact, I wonder if FDR is our most investigated president?

Could you provide links re: atomic material in Lend-Lease to USSR that has been "explored, gone over, piece by piece years ago..."

...and I'd be happy to provide a rep.

Otherwise you might look like sniveling FDR boot-licker, trying to deflect criticism without actually dealing with it.

And that's not the case.....

....is it?

Could you provide links re: atomic material in Lend-Lease to USSR that has been "explored, gone over, piece by piece years ago..."

Otherwise you might look like sniveling FDR boot-licker, trying to deflect criticism without actually dealing with it.

....is it?

First, what is atomic material?
Second, you're getting into your personal attack mode.
Third, I don't meed to deflect criticism, FDR's place in history is not dependent on these boards or poster's opinions.

....is it?

Third, I don't meed to deflect criticism, FDR's place in history is not dependent on these boards or poster's opinions.

Now, now, reggie....

You vowed "That up-to-date stuff is over seventy years old, it has been explored, gone over, piece by piece years ago by Republicans in their quest to defame FDR."

And now you have a new tune?
"First, what is atomic material?"

But....I do love your vid:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PibDMGxiyJw]Sargent Schultz I see nothing - YouTube[/ame]

....is it?

"Second, you're getting into your personal attack mode."

'getting into'????

First thing I do every morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue.

Don't forget.....'you only hurt the ones you love.'

1. It is well known and documented that FDR's administration was riddled with Stalin's agents, and, in many ways, policy was directed from Moscow. Case in point, aid to Mao and resistance to helping Chiang Kaichek.
Less well known, when told about the spies, Roosevelt simply laughed.

2. Another case was Lend-Lease: supplies didn't just "flow" to the Soviet Union, they flooded it, including non-military supplies: a tire plant, an oil refinery, pipe-fabricating works, over a million miles of copper wire, switchboard-panels, lathes and power tools, textile machinery, woodworking, typesetting, cranes hoists, derricks, air compressors, $152 million in women's 'dress goods,' 18.4 million pounds of writing paper, cigarette cases, jeweled watches, lipstick, liquor, bathtubs, and pianos.
West, "American Betrayal," chapter two.

a. " A year and a half after WWII began in Europe, Roosevelt’s Lend-Lease supplied a prodigious amount of war materiel to Russia, without which the embattled Red Army, the only challenge to Hitler’s forces, would have been defeated. The temporary congruence of interests was called an alliance, albeit a strange one. For example, when the Americans tried to find a way that long-range American bombers could land in Russia to re-fuel, so as to bomb deep into Germany, the Russians were found to be suspicious, ungrateful, secretive, xenophobic, unfriendly, in short….a great deal of take and very little give." “The Anti-Communist Manifestos,” by John V. Fleming, chapter six.

3. George Kennan wrote: "there is no adequate justification for continuing a program of lavish and almost indiscriminate aid to the Soviet Union at a time when there was increasing reason to doubt whether her purposes in Eastern Europe, aside from the defeat of Germany, would be ones which we Americans could approve and sponsor." George C. Herring, "Aid to Russia," p. xvii.

4. I challenge FDR apologists to explain government largesse to Soviet Russia, even superseding Allied, or even American military needs.
Or American civilian needs: 217,660,666 pounds of butter shipped to the USSR during a time of strict state-side rationing.
John R. Deane, "The Strange Alliance: The Story of Our Efforts at Wartime Cooperation With Russia," p.94-95.

a. "The President has directed that 'airplanes be delivered in accordance with protocol schedules by the most expeditious means.' To implement these directives, the modification, equipment and movement of Russian planes have been given first priority, even over planes for US Army Air Forces."
From the diaries of Maj. George Racey Jordan, supervisory 'expediter' of Soviet Lend-Lease aid, p. 20.

b. At Congressional Hearing Regarding Shipments of Atomic Material to the Soviet Union During WWII, Washington GPO, 1950, p.909-910, Jordon would tell Congress that he kept this presidential directive on his person to show incredulous officers.

5. What was the cost of FDR's unswerving dedication to the Soviets? One example, found in Paul Johnson'sw "Modern Times," 'included 200 modern fighter aircraft, originally intended for Britain's highly vulnerable base in Singapore, which had no modern fighters at all. The diversion of these aircraft, plus tanks, to Russia sealed the fate of Singapore." Johnson, Op.Cit., p. 386.

a. Singapore fell February 15, 1942.

6. "He (FDR) left no doubt of the importance he attached to aid to Russia. 'I would go out and take the stuff off the shelves of the stores,' he told [Treasure Secretary Henry] Morganthau on March 11, 1942, 'and pay them any price necessary, an put it in a truck and rush it to the boat...Nothing would be worse than to have the Russians collapse."
George C. Herring, "Aid to Russia," p. 42,56.

a. Be clear as what 'nothing' meant.
Japan attacked 151,000 Americans and Filipinos stationed in the Philippines. Think Bataan and Corregidor. The 200 modern fighters originally meant for Singapore would have been there...but were in Russia.

b. Roosevelt: "I would rather lose New Zealand, Australia or anything else than have the Russian front collapse."
Robert Dallek, "Franklin D. Roosevelt and American Foreign Policy, 1932-1945," p. 338.

When one begins to consider FDR's 'Russia Uber Alles' policy, evidence from KGB archives, opened in 1991, and the Venona Papers, sheds dispositive light on the reasons for said policy.

Was FDR a dupe of Soviet influence?

No doubt.

2, 6 Revolution took the Russians out of The War to End All Wars. Omaha beach would have been really well defended by the Germans if Stalin was overthrown mid-war

6a yeah, we got caught ready for war against the 1904 Japanese Navy. That one had us looking like France in May 1940.

6b, The Russian Front was the big one where the Germans would win or lose the war.

Also for the last 100 years we have been trying to win over our enemies with love. I suppose it worked in Japan even after we nuked em.

Your last question of if Stalin was able to infiltrate the US better than we infiltrated Russia is more interesting. I imagine in 1941 FDR and anyone with military sense feared a 1942 with the German Army in the Urals. Moscow, Stalingrad and Kursk are all taken for granted now but in the 1941 during which we were not at war for 340+ days of, the fall of the Soviet Union seemed as real a possibility as the fall of France.

1. It is well known and documented that FDR's administration was riddled with Stalin's agents, and, in many ways, policy was directed from Moscow. Case in point, aid to Mao and resistance to helping Chiang Kaichek.
Less well known, when told about the spies, Roosevelt simply laughed.

2. Another case was Lend-Lease: supplies didn't just "flow" to the Soviet Union, they flooded it, including non-military supplies: a tire plant, an oil refinery, pipe-fabricating works, over a million miles of copper wire, switchboard-panels, lathes and power tools, textile machinery, woodworking, typesetting, cranes hoists, derricks, air compressors, $152 million in women's 'dress goods,' 18.4 million pounds of writing paper, cigarette cases, jeweled watches, lipstick, liquor, bathtubs, and pianos.
West, "American Betrayal," chapter two.

a. " A year and a half after WWII began in Europe, Roosevelt’s Lend-Lease supplied a prodigious amount of war materiel to Russia, without which the embattled Red Army, the only challenge to Hitler’s forces, would have been defeated. The temporary congruence of interests was called an alliance, albeit a strange one. For example, when the Americans tried to find a way that long-range American bombers could land in Russia to re-fuel, so as to bomb deep into Germany, the Russians were found to be suspicious, ungrateful, secretive, xenophobic, unfriendly, in short….a great deal of take and very little give." “The Anti-Communist Manifestos,” by John V. Fleming, chapter six.

3. George Kennan wrote: "there is no adequate justification for continuing a program of lavish and almost indiscriminate aid to the Soviet Union at a time when there was increasing reason to doubt whether her purposes in Eastern Europe, aside from the defeat of Germany, would be ones which we Americans could approve and sponsor." George C. Herring, "Aid to Russia," p. xvii.

4. I challenge FDR apologists to explain government largesse to Soviet Russia, even superseding Allied, or even American military needs.
Or American civilian needs: 217,660,666 pounds of butter shipped to the USSR during a time of strict state-side rationing.
John R. Deane, "The Strange Alliance: The Story of Our Efforts at Wartime Cooperation With Russia," p.94-95.

a. "The President has directed that 'airplanes be delivered in accordance with protocol schedules by the most expeditious means.' To implement these directives, the modification, equipment and movement of Russian planes have been given first priority, even over planes for US Army Air Forces."
From the diaries of Maj. George Racey Jordan, supervisory 'expediter' of Soviet Lend-Lease aid, p. 20.

b. At Congressional Hearing Regarding Shipments of Atomic Material to the Soviet Union During WWII, Washington GPO, 1950, p.909-910, Jordon would tell Congress that he kept this presidential directive on his person to show incredulous officers.

5. What was the cost of FDR's unswerving dedication to the Soviets? One example, found in Paul Johnson'sw "Modern Times," 'included 200 modern fighter aircraft, originally intended for Britain's highly vulnerable base in Singapore, which had no modern fighters at all. The diversion of these aircraft, plus tanks, to Russia sealed the fate of Singapore." Johnson, Op.Cit., p. 386.

a. Singapore fell February 15, 1942.

6. "He (FDR) left no doubt of the importance he attached to aid to Russia. 'I would go out and take the stuff off the shelves of the stores,' he told [Treasure Secretary Henry] Morganthau on March 11, 1942, 'and pay them any price necessary, an put it in a truck and rush it to the boat...Nothing would be worse than to have the Russians collapse."
George C. Herring, "Aid to Russia," p. 42,56.

a. Be clear as what 'nothing' meant.
Japan attacked 151,000 Americans and Filipinos stationed in the Philippines. Think Bataan and Corregidor. The 200 modern fighters originally meant for Singapore would have been there...but were in Russia.

b. Roosevelt: "I would rather lose New Zealand, Australia or anything else than have the Russian front collapse."
Robert Dallek, "Franklin D. Roosevelt and American Foreign Policy, 1932-1945," p. 338.

When one begins to consider FDR's 'Russia Uber Alles' policy, evidence from KGB archives, opened in 1991, and the Venona Papers, sheds dispositive light on the reasons for said policy.

Was FDR a dupe of Soviet influence?

No doubt.

The right-wing paranoia of some in the US never ceases to amaze me. Both the US, and Britain, backed the Soviets because they were in a life and death struggle with fascism, and the Soviets were (unfortunately) temporarily needed. A large portion of the war was fought on the Russian front, and considerable help was needed there in order to avoid disaster. As with economic questions, FDR understood this better than many others in the US, no great surprise I guess.

There was indeed increasing doubt about Soviet intentions in Eastern Europe, but there was no doubt about the consequences of a German victory, or even a standoff with Hitler, hence the aid. The more extreme statements here are highly dubious however.

Out tens of thousands of planes produced (and destroyed) 200 were not going to sway very much, and would not have saved Singapore. You might also want to look at an atlas, and check the distance between there and the Philippines.

As for not wanting the Russian front to collapse, he was correct. The resources and land base of the Soviet Union falling to fascism would have been a disaster. Japan was already overextended in the Pacific, and Australia, and even more so New Zealand, were not likely to go under. And even if they did, tough as it may seem, they would have been a lesser problem to losing the Eurasian land mass.

One stray logic thought I am having is that if FDR was in bed with the left wing Communists and was fighting with them against something it was probably the right wing Hitler.

There is another post or two on here about the leftist Hitler I am going to link this thread to so PC can shut down that line if thinking lol.

Really I believe the step across the ends of the horse shoe is pretty small but hey, its interesting.

The second front in Europe was talked about for 1942, but instead the allies invaded Africa delaying the European front until 1944. Most of Lend lease went to about forty nations and some nations sent America some Lend Lease including Cheese. The sea voyage to the USSR was one of the most hazardous trips and instead of shipping parts we did send factories. And it's true the Russians were not allies like the English, they were very difficult to abide, but still every German they killed was one German less. Might check out the casualty figures. In that regard it was essential that we keep Russia in the game, in fact, I wonder if we could have won in Europe with out the Russians? But keeping Russia in the war seemed essential for the Allies. I'm sure some remembered that Russia did drop out in WWI and make a separate peace with Germany. But Monday morning quarterbacking seems pretty easy.

OK, the lesson to be taken from the OP is that FDR was a great politician, but not a great "wartime leader." His decisions usually reflected a path of least resistance, which gave an advantage to his more determined "ally" (Stalin). About the most that can be said about FDR's conduct of WW2 was that he saved American lives by allowing the USSR and Germany to bleed themselves dry before we invaded Europe.

OK, the lesson to be taken from the OP is that FDR was a great politician, but not a great "wartime leader." His decisions usually reflected a path of least resistance, which gave an advantage to his more determined "ally" (Stalin). About the most that can be said about FDR's conduct of WW2 was that he saved American lives by allowing the USSR and Germany to bleed themselves dry before we invaded Europe.

I will disagree a bit. FDR was the driving force behind getting us into the war as fast as we did. For trivia look up Charles Lindbergh. Imagine if one of them isolationists, pacifists, NAZI lovers or Stalin haters was president. It was a real movement at the time. In some ways I can understand. Imagine being a WWI vet having to decide to send your kid to the next European war.

Now FDR did not hammer home the importance of planes to the Navy or blitzkreig but hey, we had our navy in the right place. Guess like Lincoln he was a president who needed generals to be generals.

It was FDR's deviously communist plot to use the Red Army to bleed the Nazis throughout 1943 and avoid a real second front till 1944.

You are, of course, a dim-wit.

Do you understand the full implication of "dim"?
Good.

Sadly, you have a great deal of company.

If Roosevelt's plan was to use Russia in the battle against Nazi Germany, which, of course, is absolutely true....

...how do you explain the following:

The inordinate endorsement of the Soviet Union by Roosevelt.
1933 was the onset of both a) Soviet espionage's "golden age," and of
b) Roosevelt's conferring of diplomatic recognition on the Soviet Union.

WWII began in 1939.

And after the war, with Germany defeated, Roosevelt made certain to turn Eastern Europe over to Stalin.
So....still using the USSR against Nazi Germany?

Really?

So....the Marshall Plan was....what? A ploy?

Wise up.

One stray logic thought I am having is that if FDR was in bed with the left wing Communists and was fighting with them against something it was probably the right wing Hitler.

There is another post or two on here about the leftist Hitler I am going to link this thread to so PC can shut down that line if thinking lol.

Really I believe the step across the ends of the horse shoe is pretty small but hey, its interesting.

Nazi...national socialism....based on nationalism and/or race...
Communism....international socialism.
Both Leftist.

You should take notes.

Nazi...national socialism....based on nationalism and/or race...
Communism....international socialism.
Both Leftist.

You should take notes.

Got it. You believe FDR fought a war against socialist germany because FDR was a socialist.

It was FDR's deviously communist plot to use the Red Army to bleed the Nazis throughout 1943 and avoid a real second front till 1944.

Good.

If Roosevelt's plan was to use Russia in the battle against Nazi Germany, which, of course, is absolutely true....

WWII began in 1939.

And after the war, with Germany defeated, Roosevelt made certain to turn Eastern Europe over to Stalin.

Really?

Wise up.

FDR died before the war was over.

What would you of liked Truman to have done? This is the May 1945, the Red Army is in front of you on the game board. The army which has been pushing the Germans back since '42.

I find it amazing the politicians were able to talk our public into a war in Korea a few years after.

Good.

WWII began in 1939.

Really?

Wise up.

FDR died before the war was over.

What would you of liked Truman to have done? This is the May 1945, the Red Army is in front of you on the game board. The army which has been pushing the Germans back since '42.

I find it amazing the politicians were able to talk our public into a war in Korea a few years after.

PC's sort of off the deep end here, but FDR really did fail to see the moral depravity of communism. I've never seen what seemed an adequate reason why. He certainly understood the danger of fascism, and Huey Long. A govt that guarantees a volkswagen for every family and a chicken in every pot during a recession, in exchange for civil rights, while also protecting corporate ownership ... if capital swears feality to the Reich, is still a dangerous notion.

FDR had no knowlege of either the Holocaust or really the severity of Stalin's depopulation campaigns of the 30s. In the US, capital was so antagonistic towards the New Deal, and the notion that govt could enforce a living wage and let the unions loose, there was at least thought to a coup. Practical realities, rather than the sanctity of private investment, may have kept FDR from unleashing those like William O. Douglas who thought the New Deal and SEC acts didn't go far enough in regulating corporate behavior, and they had no faith at all in shareholders to constrain predatory behavior. FDR may have at least in part chosen to not see Stalin for what he was. But, there's no doubt that FDR (and Churchill) saw the Soviets as having more lives to expend, and less political oppostition to spending them, than did the other two allies.

FDR repeatedly, with Lend Lease, and outright gifts, and then the second front, avoided any chance that Stalin would make a seperate peace, and require the US and Britian to achieve uncondidtional surrender by the fascists. That was always FDR's FIRST PRIORITY WITH RUSSIA. Without Russia, the Battle of the Bulge and Hurtgen Forest would have yielded casualties that poisoned our society like Britan was poisoned by the Somme.

As for Truman and Korea, I think we simply had belief in our leaders who'd gotten us through the depression and then WWII to be the most powerful and stable country ever, that when Truman (and Mao) basically stumbled into a war, they thought they had to back him up, because that's what we did.

Forum List

Back