Federal appeals court strikes down Arizona bail law for immigrants

JakeStarkey

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2009
A regional federal appeals court struck down an Arizona law on Wednesday that denied bail to some immigrants who are in the United States illegally and charged with some serious felonies.

I don't care if they are illegal. I do care if they are suspected of serious felonies and get out on bail.

A regional federal appeals court struck down an Arizona law on Wednesday that denied bail to some immigrants who are in the United States illegally and charged with some serious felonies.

I don't care if they are illegal. I do care if they are suspected of serious felonies and get out on bail.

I think that's an issue to factor into their bail hearing. But people are released on bail for serious felonies all the time. The purpose of bail isn't to punish someone. Its to prevent them from fleeing while the prepare their defense for charges they have yet to be convicted on.

• Banned
But are these "people" illegal immigrants who have other countries to which to flee?

But are these "people" illegal immigrants who have other countries to which to flee?

Probably. And that should definitely factor into their bail. But if a US citizen has relatives in Mexico, the same thing is true. I say their bail should be set using the same procedures that apply to everyone else. And the fact that they could flee to another country should be factored in, like it would for anyone who could flee.

Forum List

Back