Federal budget cuts would end flyovers at sports events

Obamanation

Silver Member
Sep 6, 2012

Well, maybe when we have a President that actually loves his Country we will see them return. Kinda sad if you ask me. I was 7 in 1976 and I can still remember the flyover we had on the 4th of July --- 200 years! Man I was (and still am) so proud to be an American!

Funny, that taking Air Force 1 to Fla. to pla golf with Tiger is an acceptable way to spend my tax dollars, but instilling pride in the minds and hearts of every 7 y/o at a sporting even just costs too much money.

Last edited:

Well, maybe when we have a President that actually loves his Country we will see them return. Kinda sad if you ask me. I was 7 in 1976 and I can still remember the flyover we had on the 4th of July --- 200 years! Man I was (and still am) so proud to be an American!

Funny, that taking Air Force 1 to Fla. to pla golf with Tiger is an acceptable way to spend my tax dollars, but instilling pride in the mids and hearts of every 7 y/o at a sporting even just costs too much money.
It's for the best. God forbid anyone have to give up their obama phone.

What do Sporting Events have to do with the Military and Patriotism?

Military Iron should be displayed at Air Shows and Base Open Houses. That's it.

F*ck the NFL and Major League Baseball.

Anywhere Americans get together and raise a Flag, sing the National Anthem, Pleage allegiance, say a prayer for Country... it has something to do with Patriotism IMO.

I have no problem with Fly-Overs.. But when budgets are tight, they are an expense that is easy to cut.

Just as Obama's separate vaca's are easy to cut.

Flyovers are public relations advertisments for the military. They are marketing tools

Right now, the military doesn't need to advertise to market to potential additional recruits.

If anything I expect the military is going to start reducing its ranks.

It is an unnecessary expenditure for a military facing budget cuts

Flyovers are disrespectful. Using the military to endorse a commercial product or event? Terrible misuse of our military....right Shroom?

Flyovers are disrespectful. Using the military to endorse a commercial product or event? Terrible misuse of our military....right Shroom?

Until you noted it, I hadn't thought about it, but you are absolutely right.

As I posted before, Fly Overs are not an endorsement of a commercial product or event. Flyovers are done in conjunction with the playing of the National Anthem, Raising or Lowering of the American Flag, or during the funeral of fallen Service member (Missing Man Formation).

They can also be done as a display of American Air Power.

I still remember a film shown during basic training in 1967 of Naval Firepower. At 19 I was very impressed and even awed by such a display of our military power. Over the next five years I attended the funerals of five guys I went to school with which put that power in vivid perspective.

Along with those films I later watched on TV the military exhibitions in Nazi Germany and Red Square displays in the former Soviet Union. I recognized the intent of such displays by the reaction to the crowd at Niner Games and during the Giant's World Series runs.

I'm still impressed with the power of our war planes and skills of Naval/Marine/AF Aviators, but I now understand those feelings when framed by my visits to the Vietnam Memorial on the Mall in DC.

Last edited:

Funny, that taking Air Force 1 to Fla. to pla golf with Tiger is an acceptable way to spend my tax dollars, but instilling pride in the minds and hearts of every 7 y/o at a sporting even just costs too much money.

November 2011: The Pentagon spends $37 million for the Blue Angels as a fraction of the Pentagon's $645 billion annual budget, but cuts in defense spending might require eliminating the aerobatic team.
See:
Blue Angels fly into age of budget woes ? USATODAY.com

I'd be sorry if the Blue Angels' shows were cut back. I enjoyed watching them this summer in Baltimore, where they participated in activities held in honor of the 200th anniversery of the National Anthem.

As I posted before, Fly Overs are not an endorsement of a commercial product or event. Flyovers are done in conjunction with the playing of the National Anthem, Raising or Lowering of the American Flag, or during the funeral of fallen Service member (Missing Man Formation).

They can also be done as a display of American Air Power.

Justify, justify. Last time I checked, sporting events were commercial ventures. How disrespectful! :lol:

I just wish they would stop playing the chickenhawk national anthem, "Proud to be an American", nothing angers me more than some hillbilly who never served in the military yelling at me to stand up during the song while I am at a sporting event.

Amen if the NFL and MLB really cared about the troops they would everything they could to stop these pointless wars this president and congress love to do all over the world

Forum List

Back