Federal judge smacks down Trump governor

Aren't these ballot drop offs, drive through drop off ballot boxes that are manned at these ballot drop off stations in Texas?

While the proclamation does little to counties like Tarrant and Denton, it has a significant impact on counties with larger populations. Harris County, which is home to Houston and is the third-largest county in the U.S, will lose 11 established drop-off sites, The Associated Press reported.

Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner criticized the decision. "Growing up, I was bused over 20 miles as a student in the first integrated class at Klein High School. Because of the Governor's decision today, I would now have to go even farther to drop off an absentee ballot and make sure my vote is counted," he said. Turner called the decision to reduce the number of sites "a direct attempt at voter suppression," and said, "We should be focused on making voting more accessible and stop trying to create obstacles and distractions with unsubstantiated claims of voter fraud."

In a press release, Texas Democratic Party Chair Gilberto Hinojosa called the decision a failed attempt to change voting rules "at the last minute." In a statement to CBS News, a Texas Democratic Party official confirmed that a lawsuit was in progress. The ACLU of Texas also strongly condemned the order in a statement, calling Abbott's decision "another thinly disguised attempt to stymie the vote."

Texas drastically limits ballot drop-off sites before election

The most sacred of American freedoms, the right to vote, is under extreme, aggressive attack by Republicans.

Thank God for judges seeking to protect us from them.
Fake news from a proven liar.
Fake Poster!! :)

The unelected activist judge exceeded his authority
Not so far. We'll have to see whether it is struck down, but not today.
There is no reasonable reason, for the governor to change the rules at the 11th hour, other than voter suppression.

Texas only allows mail in ballots via a request, and an EXCUSE, and they are not allowing corona virus safety concerns as an excuse.

Only large populated counties will be harmed greatly, with only one ballot drop off location... which is where most voting democratic citizens reside.

Gov Abbott, and any appeals, should justly reject his last minute voter suppression actions imo.

Their law, says Counties decide how many ballot drop off box stations they need and put out.

So, libs demanded mail-in ballots

but now you have lost confidence in the postal service and you want in-person voting after all?
Dropping off a mail-in ballot is a form of cheating

Your position is simple. You think anything that allows more people to cast a vote is "cheating".

You probably thought the 15th / 19th / 26th amendments were "cheating"

The problem with dropping off "mail in " ballots is that the ID of the person dropping off the ballot isn't checked. The ballot deliverer and the voter isn't necessarily the same person, and the vote could have easily been changed in the process.

You know when the post office drops off ballots, the same exact situation applies.

The problem with dropping off "mail in " ballots is that the ID of the person dropping off the ballot isn't checked. The ballot deliverer and the voter isn't necessarily the same person, and the vote could have easily been changed in the process.

You know when the post office drops off ballots, the same exact situation applies.

Good point. The postal workers could be tampering with it as well.

But the chances are a lot more when you have activists "harvesting" ballots that with mailmen delivering all sorts of crap to America's postal patrons.

The unelected activist judge exceeded his authority
Not so far. We'll have to see whether it is struck down, but not today.
There is no reasonable reason, for the governor to change the rules at the 11th hour, other than voter suppression.

Texas only allows mail in ballots via a request, and an EXCUSE, and they are not allowing corona virus safety concerns as an excuse.

Only large populated counties will be harmed greatly, with only one ballot drop off location... which is where most voting democratic citizens reside.

Gov Abbott, and any appeals, should justly reject his last minute voter suppression actions imo.

Their law, says Counties decide how many ballot drop off box stations they need and put out.
As usual with these cretins, voter suppression is the plan. It will fail.

When I find interest in a court ruling I usually check who appointed the federal judge.
U.S. District Judge Robert Pitman is a Democrat appointed by Obama, for the record.

I don't like the federal government sticking its nose into what should be the state's business.
I don't like the state government sticking its nose into what should be the county's business.

Based on this view towards government, in this situation I classify the result as two "I don't likes" making an "I like".
Violating the right to vote isn’t the states’ business.

Indeed, it’s the responsibility of the states to protect and defend the right to vote.

When the states violate the right to vote – such as this case in Texas – then it becomes the business of the Federal courts, as it’s the Federal courts’ business to protect the rights and protected liberties of the people.

If the states don’t want the Federal courts weighing in on what they do, the states need to stop violating the rights of the people.

Pretty simple.

How many extra-Constitutional wars on abstractions which have nothing to do with the common defense do we have? They should be more limited than voting.
Thats too cryptic, Daniel

I’m not yet totally fluent in liberish
He's not brght enough to be cryptic....It's just word salad.

When I find interest in a court ruling I usually check who appointed the federal judge.
U.S. District Judge Robert Pitman is a Democrat appointed by Obama, for the record.

I don't like the federal government sticking its nose into what should be the state's business.
I don't like the state government sticking its nose into what should be the county's business.

Based on this view towards government, in this situation I classify the result as two "I don't likes" making an "I like".
Violating the right to vote isn’t the states’ business.

Indeed, it’s the responsibility of the states to protect and defend the right to vote.

When the states violate the right to vote – such as this case in Texas – then it becomes the business of the Federal courts, as it’s the Federal courts’ business to protect the rights and protected liberties of the people.

If the states don’t want the Federal courts weighing in on what they do, the states need to stop violating the rights of the people.

Pretty simple.
Voting isn't a right, Gomer Pyle.

“While the proclamation does little to counties like Tarrant and Denton, it has a significant impact on counties with larger populations. Harris County, which is home to Houston and is the third-largest county in the U.S, will lose 11 established drop-off sites, The Associated Press reported.” ibid

And Harris County (Houston) is overwhelmingly Democratic – hence the unlawful desire by Republicans to disadvantage Harris County voters.

\When the states violate the right to vote – such as this case in Texas – then it becomes the business of the Federal courts, as it’s the Federal courts’ business to protect the rights and protected liberties of the people.

Pretty simple.

I agree in part. The federal courts do not like getting involved in state matters, unless there is a clear constitutional violation. BUT... remember, this is a federal election, which means like in "Bush V Gore" the federal role was made quite clear.

And Harris County (Houston) is overwhelmingly Democratic – hence the unlawful desire by Republicans to disadvantage Harris County voters.

I guess limiting drop boxes was because it would have been too obvious if they ordered only one polling site per county.

Forum List

Back