Felons to get the right to vote in Fla.

It could be that the Rapist, Armed Robbers and others could soon vote in all Fla, elections. Fla, in this election will make the decision that all Felons will have the right to vote, and this encludes the ones who are serving time for murder and are one Death Row. How do you feel about this?

I know George Soros and Styer like the idea after all it is the Progressive way of life to come.

As a liberal, I don't get this. What are they thinking. You broke the law, you've been sent to prison. You should know you lose your ability to vote for the rest of your life.

And Florida is hardly a massive left wing state too. Weird.

It could be that the Rapist, Armed Robbers and others could soon vote in all Fla, elections. Fla, in this election will make the decision that all Felons will have the right to vote, and this encludes the ones who are serving time for murder and are one Death Row. How do you feel about this?

I know George Soros and Styer like the idea after all it is the Progressive way of life to come.

As a liberal, I don't get this. What are they thinking. You broke the law, you've been sent to prison. You should know you lose your ability to vote for the rest of your life.

Only three states commit this atrocity. Where have you been.

A person who had a pinch of pot on him while in college shouldn’t be denied the right to for the rest of his life.

Only three states commit this atrocity. Where have you been.

A person who had a pinch of pot on him while in college shouldn’t be denied the right to for the rest of his life.

The problem here is that a person with pot on them shouldn't be committing an offense. But they are because the US has its priorities all wrong.

This is a different issue.

There is an interesting history to laws removing the right to vote from felons.

In Florida, People With Past Felony Convictions Can't Vote, But That Could All Change

MCEVERS: A majority of people with felony convictions in Florida these days are white. But this whole process in Florida started with attempts to keep black people from voting. It was after the Civil War when Southern states had to rewrite their constitutions to allow freed slaves to become citizens. But what they did was pass what are known as Black Codes, creating new crimes like vagrancy and arresting people for these crimes and charging them with felonies and then ruling that anyone who has committed a felony would lose their voting rights for life. All of this became law in Florida in the 1860s, and the voting part is still in the constitution.

Florida is one of the stricter states when it comes to restoration of voting rights for convicted felons based on what I see here on the National Conference of State Legislatures website:

Florida

Upon conviction of a felony, the civil rights of the person convicted shall be suspended in Florida until such rights are restored by a full pardon, conditional pardon, or restoration of civil rights by the governor (Flor. Const. Art. 4 § 8, F.S.A. § 944.292). The Executive Clemency Board sets the rules for restoration of civil rights, which includes a 5- or 7-year waiting period, depending on the seriousness of the offense. There is a list of crimes for which an individual may never apply for rights restoration.

http://www.ncsl.org/research/elections-and-campaigns/felon-voting-rights.aspx
What are the facts behind any proposed change?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back