Female genital mutilation is a crime in the US

FEMALE GENITAL MUTILATION ON THE RISE IN THE U.S.
BY LUCY WESTCOTT ON 2/6/15 AT 8:24 AM

The number of women and girls at risk for female genital mutilation (FGM) in the United States has more than doubled in the past 10 years, according to new figures released on Friday.

The data, the first on FGM in the U.S. for a decade, is being published to coincide with the United Nations’ International Day of Zero Tolerance for FGM.

More than half a million women and girls in the U.S. are at risk of undergoing FGM in the U.S. or abroad, or have already undergone the procedure, including 166,173 under the age of 18, according to the Population Reference Bureau (PRB). ...

Female Genital Mutilation on the Rise in the U.S.
Immigration to the U.S. from African and Middle Eastern countries—where the practice of FGM is a deeply entrenched cultural tradition—is the sole factor for the rise in numbers, says Mark Mather, a demographer at PRB who led the data analysis. There has not been an increase in the practice happening in the U.S. itself, he says.

The next two sentences in that article you just quoted.
Thank you.

The number of women and girls at risk for female genital mutilation (FGM) in the United States has more than doubled in the past 10 years, according to new figures released on Friday.

The data, the first on FGM in the U.S. for a decade, is being published to coincide with the United Nations’ International Day of Zero Tolerance for FGM.

More than half a million women and girls in the U.S. are at risk of undergoing FGM in the U.S. or abroad, or have already undergone the procedure, including 166,173 under the age of 18, according to the Population Reference Bureau (PRB). ...

Immigration to the U.S. from African and Middle Eastern countries—where the practice of FGM is a deeply entrenched cultural tradition—is the sole factor for the rise in numbers, says Mark Mather, a demographer at PRB who led the data analysis. There has not been an increase in the practice happening in the U.S. itself, he says.

Thank you.

So what? Are you imagining I said it was due to other factors?

Actually the existence of FGM was exposed to the West back in the '70s by that trendy leftist liberal Gloria Steinem in Ms Magazine. The article was called "The International Crime of Female Genital Mutilation".

But --- you knew that, right?
No you are just to retarded to LOOK AT THE GAWD DAM SEARCHES IDIOT
What is your point, exactly? Are you saying that FGM is being done in the US and the authorities are intentionally not prosecuting it? Are the police/law enforcement not arresting people who practice it in the US? Should those who are having this done to their children in other countries be prosecuted here?

If you are saying FGM is being practiced in the US, do you have evidence of that?

What is your point Jesus christ WTF is the point . you seriously have to ask? gawd dam this Country is full of lunatics on steroids.

jUST LIKE YOUR OTHER IDIOTS UP THERE WHO CAN'T SEE THE EVIDENCE THAT CLEARLY STATES IT IS FROM THE . ............N . WORLD HEALTH ORGANIZATION ARE YOU PEOPEL SO FKD UP IN THE HEAD YOU DO NOT SEE IN THE HEADLINES THE ARTICLE " WORLD HEALTH ORGANIZATION'........

GAWD DAM, JESUS CRIPE!!!!!

WTF part of WHO don't you get nor see . View attachment 175787

Did you not notice that your infowars article, and the image you posted from The Hill in the OP, are regarding the US? :lol:

No I noticed that some can't click the link in the corner of the ARTICLE so to save then from looking like a.h I provided an image where it SAYS THE HILL on the left side corner of the article.

View attachment 175808

What does that have to do with your previous post about the WHO?

you said
View attachment 175812

So I just gave you the part where it said the Hill, and failed to put the rest in because then came the " Eeeh fk I don't give a chit...and I left it as was/ is. With out putting the rest and there are US stats of being done or did you miss that too on the way down the posts.

View attachment 175815

FGM has been a crime in America since 1996. Federal law provides that, “whoever knowingly circumcises, excises, or infibulates the whole or any part of the labia majora or labia minora or clitoris of another person who has not attained the age of 18 years shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than 5 years, or both.”
Female genital mutilation is a crime in the US — so why is it rarely prosecuted?

I don't know why I bother, but:

I asked what the point of your OP was, and gave some possible examples. Rather than simply explain your point, you replied with something about the World Health Organization (making the name of the organization bold, large font, and in red for emphasis) that did not seem to have anything to do with my question. I replied by pointing out that your OP contains an article and a headline about FGM in the US, because the only thing that I could imagine you were trying to say is that the point had to do with FGM being worldwide.

If it isn't obvious to you yet after all your posts on this board, you often post in a way that does not make sense to most people reading it. ;)

Thank you.

So what? Are you imagining I said it was due to other factors?
No, but I'm guessing MindWars might be.

...Included in the data are girls at risk of being sent back to their family’s origin country to undergo FGM—a practice widely known as “vacation cutting”—or having a traditional midwife or cutter sent to perform FGM in the U.S. ...

...FGM has been illegal in the U.S. since 1996, but an amendment to the law banning vacation cutting wasn’t passed until 2012. In 2006, Khalid Adem, an Ethiopian immigrant, was the first person convicted of performing FGM in the U.S. after prosecutors alleged he cut his daughter’s clitoris with a pair of scissors....

Dear God.

...Included in the data are girls at risk of being sent back to their family’s origin country to undergo FGM—a practice widely known as “vacation cutting”—or having a traditional midwife or cutter sent to perform FGM in the U.S. ...

...FGM has been illegal in the U.S. since 1996, but an amendment to the law banning vacation cutting wasn’t passed until 2012. In 2006, Khalid Adem, an Ethiopian immigrant, was the first person convicted of performing FGM in the U.S. after prosecutors alleged he cut his daughter’s clitoris with a pair of scissors....

Dear God.

That's nothing short of child abuse

Dear God.
OWWWWW !
Someone ought to snip a little off his you know what. With scissors.

I suppose if we really stand firm on this practice and make it illegal no matter how hard they try to wiggle around it, some day it will be a thing of the past. No one from our culture thinks it is acceptable. But see, that's the thing. It's not our culture and there is deeply held belief that girls who have not been cut are disreputable. Sluts/low class.
MindWars faulted Maine for not passing an additional felony law for FGM, but the legislature DID pass legislation to launch an outreach and education effort in the immigrant communities where FGM is popular, hopefully convincing them that it is not a good choice for their daughters.
Who knows. Changing the cultural beliefs is the best way to handle it, rather than throwing parents in jail for honoring their culture. It would be similar to outlawing circumcision for Jews.

Dear God.
OWWWWW !

I suppose if we really stand firm on this practice and make it illegal no matter how hard they try to wiggle around it, some day it will be a thing of the past. No one from our culture thinks it is acceptable. But see, that's the thing. It's not our culture and there is deeply held belief that girls who have not been cut are disreputable. Sluts/low class.
MindWars faulted Maine for not passing an additional felony law for FGM, but the legislature DID pass legislation to launch an outreach and education effort in the immigrant communities where FGM is popular, hopefully convincing them that it is not a good choice for their daughters.
Who knows. Changing the cultural beliefs is the best way to handle it, rather than throwing parents in jail for honoring their culture. It would be similar to outlawing circumcision for Jews.

Addressing cultural mores directly --- as is being done in, say, Africa on this issue -- is always going to be more effective than throwing laws at it. That's what I keep saying about gun culture. That's how we already drastically reduced the disgusting cultural practice of smoking cigarettes .... not by throwing laws at it but by making it uncool.

Dear God.
OWWWWW !

I mean not really similar in that one is a religious rite and the other a cultural tradition that spreads across many religions, cultures, and nations.

According to the World Health Organization (WHO), more than 200 million females alive today have been subjected to female genital mutilation (FGM). Aliens from the 30 countries where this practice is concentrated are immigrating to the United States, and a serious effort is not being made to prevent them from practicing FGM here.
Female genital mutilation is a crime in the US — so why is it rarely prosecuted?
View attachment 175766

Just turn your head it will all go away or you can act like a trendy leftist liberal and deny it even exist that's always the easy cowardly way out. They're experts at that.

Which liberals deny that female genital mutilation exists?

Fact of the matter is- it is liberals who have always taken the lead in combating female genital mutilation- such as the National Organization for Women.

See if you can find a doctor that performs it in this country. Good luck
We have a Somali community in Maine and the girls having the procedure done are being taken to the Caribbean or back to Africa to have it done.

And the abusive parent needs to be arrested when they set foot here.

Oh but it's their culture that makes it ok.

Why do you think that their culture makes FGM okay?

Neither of these were ever answered.

Wonder why.

Dear God.
OWWWWW !

I mean not really similar in that one is a religious rite and the other a cultural tradition that spreads across many religions, cultures, and nations.
Which is a religious rite, in your view?

Dear God.
OWWWWW !

The one between Abraham and God.

Dear God.
OWWWWW !

She won't answer.

Dear God.
OWWWWW !

She won't answer.
Circumcision, then. In America, most boys are circumcised now at birth, as a hygiene thing. It has nothing to do with religion for most folks. It's not just a religious rite for Jews anymore.

OWWWWW !

She won't answer.
Circumcision, then. In America, most boys are circumcised now at birth, as a hygiene thing. It has nothing to do with religion for most folks. It's not just a religious rite for Jews anymore.
It's not just for Jews, but for all Jews it is a religious rite.

She won't answer.
Okay. You're losing me in the weeds with this argument.
I figured someone would jump on me for comparing FGM to circumcision, but I wasn't trying to say they were the same. Just that the same kinds of cultural beliefs fuel both procedures in the two groups.

Dear God.
OWWWWW !

While circumcision may be a religious rite, it is also cultural. In the US, according to the CDC, 58% of newborns in hospitals were circumcised. From what I've read, non-religious circumcision is widely practiced in South Korea, and there are some African nations who regularly circumcise without a religious element.

U.S. Circumcision Rates Drop by 10 Percent: CDC
BBC - Ethics - Male circumcision: Cultural and health aspects to circumcision

She won't answer.

I'm neither Jewish nor Muslim, yet it was done to me and all the other Irish Catholic boys I grew up with, and with no necessity of there being a priest there (or a rabbi or an imam).

So how is that a "religious rite"?

She won't answer.
Okay. You're losing me in the weeds with this argument.
I figured someone would jump on me for comparing FGM to circumcision, but I wasn't trying to say they were the same. Just that the same kinds of cultural beliefs fuel both procedures in the two groups.
One is a religious rite. The others aren't. That's the difference. Just sayin.

Forum List

Back