Firing federal workers isn't as easy as Trump's budget makes it seem

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
This goes along with the previous post. Eliminating agencies sounds great but it also means terminating the employees of that agency. The key is something all federal employees hate – Reduction in Force. It means their jobs don't exist any more.

So, what happens to them? Well, there is, of course, a very complicated set of procedures and I've posted this link to the appropriate section of the Office of Personnel Management so you can find out for yourselves. Here's the crux of the whole thing:

When an agency must abolish positions, the RIF regulations determine whether an employee keeps his or her present position, or whether the employee has a right to a different position. The regulatory requirements governing reduction in force are contained in Title 5, Code of Federal Regulations, Part 351. Federal agencies must follow the procedures contained in the Code of Federal Regulations when conducting a RIF. The law provides that OPM's RIF regulations must give effect to four factors in releasing employees:

tenure of employment (e.g., type of appointment);

veterans' preference;

length of service; and

performance ratings.

The full document is @ Reductions in Force and here is the article that deals with it @ Firing federal workers isn't as easy as Trump's budget makes it seem

speaking from the Post Office point of view.....to fire a Veteran,he/she has to do something pretty major....they get more breaks and chances than the non vets.....and get hired easier too......

speaking from the Post Office point of view.....to fire a Veteran,he/she has to do something pretty major....they get more breaks and chances than the non vets.....and get hired easier too......

I worked for a few years at the Bulk Mail Center when they first opened and the bosses did look after the employees. If an employee showed up for work drunk or stoned, they were sent home as soon as it was detected instead of being fired. We got lots of vacation and sick days so they didn't lose any money. I was told that the only way you could be fired was if you were convicted on a morals charge. That probably isn't true, but it was the urban myth at the BMC.

I worked for a few years at the Bulk Mail Center when they first opened and the bosses did look after the employees. If an employee showed up for work drunk or stoned, they were sent home as soon as it was detected instead of being fired. We got lots of vacation and sick days so they didn't lose any money. I was told that the only way you could be fired was if you were convicted on a morals charge. That probably isn't true, but it was the urban myth at the BMC.
in my 33 years in the PO i saw quite a few people get fired for theft.....theft and a shitty attendance was the hardest things for the union to defend someone on.....

Forum List

Back