First Thought game.

galena

2012_smiley18.gif

hmmmm you will have to explain.... even looking it up was of no help.....

Yesss! I've won the obscure connection award :muahaha:

>> A cat's-whisker detector (sometimes called a crystal detector) is an antique electronic component consisting of a thin wire that lightly touches a crystal of semiconducting mineral (usually galena) to make a crude point-contact rectifier. Developed by early radio researchers Henry H. C. Dunwoody, G. W. Pickard and others, this device was used as the detector in early crystal radios, from the early twentieth century through World War II, and gave this type of radio receiver its name. Crystal radios were the most popular type of radio until the mid 1920s. The cat's whisker detector was the first type of semiconductor diode, and in fact, the first semiconductor electronic device. Cat's whisker detectors are obsolete and are now only used in antique or antique-reproduction radios, and for educational purposes. -- Wiki<<​

A project I worked on as a wee sprout. :)

>> A cat's-whisker detector (sometimes called a crystal detector) is an antique electronic component consisting of a thin wire that lightly touches a crystal of semiconducting mineral (usually galena) to make a crude point-contact rectifier. Developed by early radio researchers Henry H. C. Dunwoody, G. W. Pickard and others, this device was used as the detector in early crystal radios, from the early twentieth century through World War II, and gave this type of radio receiver its name. Crystal radios were the most popular type of radio until the mid 1920s. The cat's whisker detector was the first type of semiconductor diode, and in fact, the first semiconductor electronic device. Cat's whisker detectors are obsolete and are now only used in antique or antique-reproduction radios, and for educational purposes. -- Wiki<<​

I saw the part about galena being a mineral but didn't dig any deeper... you are a PITA!!!!!!

I saw the part about galena being a mineral but didn't dig any deeper... you are a PITA!!!!!!

Flattery will get you everywhere.

Flattery will get you everywhere.
:smiliehug:

OK, somebody's gonna have to essplain how you get from "galena" to "beard".... :dunno:

.... let it go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :)

Since nobody but the poster finds "galena" relevant, I went back to the prior post of whiskers. Whiskers equals beard. Hugs.

You just want to squish little boys' radio projects like so many bugs. :crybaby:

Goatherder

Forum List

Back