Fishing's decline looms

Two Thumbs

Platinum Member
Sep 27, 2010
Where ever I go, there I am.
Fishing's decline looms; will fish eaters notice? - Yahoo! News

In May, New England's fishermen will again see a cut to the number of fish they can catch, this time so deeply that the historic industry's existence is threatened from Rhode Island to Maine. But as hard as the cuts are likely to hit fishing communities, local seafood eaters may not notice at all. In the region's markets, grocery stores and restaurants, imported fish dominate, and the cuts make that less likely to change.

The cuts will shrink the catch limit 77 percent for cod in the Gulf of Maine and 61 percent for cod in Georges Bank, off southeastern Massachusetts. That's the worst of a series of reductions to the catch of bottom-dwelling groundfish, such as haddock and flounder, that many fear could be fatal to the industry.

"They're going to wipe it out!" said Gilson. "The only thing that's going to be the same is the ocean you're looking at."

The best part of this article is how the liberal media kept spinning how it effected eaters of fish. Like that matters to a destroyed industry

This must be another "phase" in Obama's job creation blueprint.

Obama caused overfishing?

Obama's admin is currently setting policy, with a massive error on the side over being overly protective of the environment and disinterested in it's effect on industry.

Whether you are talking drilling permits, or Fishing Quotas. Currently the people making those decisions are extreme environmentalists, and anti industry types.

Last edited:
The ultimate question is how long can humans catch fish at a rate much faster than they reproduce? I'm no environmentalist nor am I in the corner of industry. I sit plainly in the middle. If there is no overfishing then no need for restrictions. If we are overfishing, then find another profession, cold turkey. Problem is we dont know. Neither side can give conclusive evidence. Any other view is purely opinion. And we all have opinions.

one thing about it. They'll never be a shortage of wolves out here in Idaho.

I know we could make up for the shortage of fish with more elk...but governmental biologist fixed that to

Last edited:
Here's more government lunacy concerning fish...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/837/0...owing-them-up/

Our government is killing thousands of red snapper in the Gulf of Mexico.

Way to go, egg head!

Well, the mega-corporations who own big agra are planning on killing everything in the oceans, so no biggie. Maybe they're cooking up frankenfish with goat genes to replace them with.

The Gulf's Growing 'Dead Zone' - TIME

Newfoundland is one big ghost town since they overfished themselves out of existence.

It's a real phenomena, folks, and ignored at everyone's peril.

I've been fishing the Long Island Sound for most of my life.

There are far fewer fish and species now then there were in the past.

I'm sure somehow he was responsible for the cruise ship engine fire too. He was probably on the grassy knoll....smoked on the hindenberg....etc...;

You are really confused.

Before 2009, all of you liberals blamed Bush for EVERYTHING, including 9/11, Katrina, and every other tragedy that happened since his birth.

Here's more government lunacy concerning fish...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/837/0...owing-them-up/

Our government is killing thousands of red snapper in the Gulf of Mexico.

Way to go, egg head!

Well, the mega-corporations who own big agra are planning on killing everything in the oceans, so no biggie. Maybe they're cooking up frankenfish with goat genes to replace them with.

The Gulf's Growing 'Dead Zone' - TIME

The river & gulf are full of algae that it is causing the dead zone. It needs to be harvested & turned into fuel.

Cheer up, progressive dingbats. China and Japan will move to fill the production gap for fish like they did for lumber. We'll pay top dollar for inferior, mercury and dioxin laden crap, pulled out of the sea by the unregulated fishing industry of those countries, and processed by kids in the worst imaginable conditions. Enjoy! The important thing is that our independent fishermen, like our indepedent loggers, will be jobless and on foodstamps. Win/win.

This must be another "phase" in Obama's job creation blueprint.

Obama caused overfishing?

Obama's admin is currently setting policy, with a massive error on the side over being overly protective of the environment and disinterested in it's effect on industry.

Whether you are talking drilling permits, or Fishing Quotas. Currently the people making those decisions are extreme environmentalists, and anti industry types.

When it comes to the fishing industry, you're barking up the wrong tree. We have overfished for years, and we're paying for it now. I don't know what the answer is. We just have too many people and people are eating more fish than ever before. This will eventually be a worldwide problem.

I'm sure somehow he was responsible for the cruise ship engine fire too. He was probably on the grassy knoll....smoked on the hindenberg....etc...;

You are really confused.

Before 2009, all of you liberals blamed Bush for EVERYTHING, including 9/11, Katrina, and every other tragedy that happened since his birth.

There is a lot of truth in that statement.

Forum List

Back