Five Bad Reasons To Vote For A President

Papageorgio

The Ultimate Winner
May 18, 2010
PNW
So, I was looking up reasons to vote for various candidates and this article pops up.

How many on the list have you used as reasons to vote for someone?

5 bad reasons to vote for a presidential candidate

1. You'd "like to have a beer with" them
2. You'd like to see the first _______ President
3. You like their position on a single issue
4. They're the candidate of "your" party
5. They seem like the inevitable winner

I have fallen #1 and #4. Anyone else fall for the 5 bad reasons.

Last edited:
Five very good points, agreed. 4 and 5 especially.

A few more bad reasons to vote for/bad reasons to vote against:

• "He has nice hair"/"He's bald"
  • "She's hot"/"She looks like a hag"
  • He/she is with ____ religion"/"He/she is not with ____ religion" (or any religion)
  • Has nice family/Doesn't have nice family

Last edited:
I could give a couple of reasons not to depend on the personal opinions of somebody named Bonnie Kiristian. Actually every one of those alleged "bad" reasons are actually good reasons. You almost gotta laugh that a dimwit like ms. Kiristian thinks that the stated agenda of a political party is unimportant when voting for a president.

I have had a lot of people get mad at me for not falling prey to reason number 4. They think I should vote for the lesser of two evils.

I could give a couple of reasons not to depend on the personal opinions of somebody named Bonnie Kiristian. Actually every one of those alleged "bad" reasons are actually good reasons. You almost gotta laugh that a dimwit like ms. Kiristian thinks that the stated agenda of a political party is unimportant when voting for a president.

You can't very well vote for reasons 4 or 5 and then complain you got a "RINO".

In fact as a corollary, not voting for somebody because you think they're a RINO/DINO is just as bad.

Every time I load that page I get bombarded with script-running freeze-ups, so for handy reference the reasons not to vote were:

Agree with G5000 -- 4 just waters down the choices and 5 ensures that 4, and the whole frickin' duopoly system, self-perpetuate. There is no reason in the world we should be in any way limited to two choices on Election Day.

If anything 5 serves as a reason to stay home.

Every time I load that page I get bombarded with script-running freeze-ups, so for handy reference the reasons not to vote were:

Agree with G5000 -- 4 just waters down the choices and 5 ensures that 4, and the whole frickin' duopoly system, self-perpetuate. There is no reason in the world we should be in any way limited to two choices on Election Day.

Thanks for posting them Pogo, I added the reason on my original post. I go through an iPad to get to web pages and many pop-ups and script errors don't show up. :)

I won't fall for 4 again. As far as 1? I think like ability is a partial reason to vote for someone, but not a main reason.

Thanks for posting them Pogo, I added the reason on my original post. I go through an iPad to get to web pages and many pop-ups and script errors don't show up. :)

I thought maybe you wanted the mystery to force the reader to the link :)
--- which would be a good idea, the writer has worthy thought-blurbs on each one, but yeah it hangs up seriously.

I won't fall for 4 again. As far as 1? I think like ability is a partial reason to vote for someone, but not a main reason.

I think we should just abolish all political parties and start over.
Or maybe at most let them form under charters with short finite terms (ten years?) that expire and cannot be renewed.

--- which would be a good idea, the writer has worthy thought-blurbs on each one, but yeah it hangs up seriously.

I did want that, but I don't want to frustrate people...ok some people.

Or maybe at most let them form under charters with short finite terms (ten years?) that expire and cannot be renewed.

I would like that, I do admit a bias when I see a political party attached. I try not to but it is difficult. I admit I like some of Sanders ideas, I don't find Hillary credible, I thin Trump is a bull in a China Shop. Carson I don't know enough about. I have a real issue with the negative. I want to know why I should vote for a candidate.

No no I support that idea. People are too goddam lazy. Too many times they don't even look past a headline. ANY way we can get 'em to look into the context, it's a good thing.

I would like that, I do admit a bias when I see a political party attached. I try not to but it is difficult. I admit I like some of Sanders ideas, I don't find Hillary credible, I thin Trump is a bull in a China Shop. Carson I don't know enough about. I have a real issue with the negative. I want to know why I should vote for a candidate.

Agree with all of that. When it comes to at least the little local stuff (judges, sheriffs, county officials) I figure out a way to
get the info on the candidates without even seeing their PP affiliation. I'll literally block it off my screen. Can't do that with national candidates but it's a start.

I like the "bull in a china shop" imagery. It's perfect.

No no I support that idea. People are too goddam lazy. Too many times they don't even look past a headline. ANY way we can get 'em to look into the context, it's a good thing.

Agree with all of that. When it comes to at least the little local stuff (judges, sheriffs, county officials) I figure out a way to
get the info on the candidates without even seeing their PP affiliation. I'll literally block it off my screen. Can't do that with national candidates but it's a start.

I like the "bull in a china shop" imagery. It's perfect.

Local elections here don't have political affiliations attached so I like that. I just read their positions on issues. I dislike the national scene that you have to back every position of the Democrats or the Republicans or you are labeled a radical.

Both parties have agendas and I don't agree with either 100%, however I do tend to agree with Republicans more, that doesn't mean I reject all Democratic positions. I think what sometimes works best is a compromise until we get a better idea of the ramifications of a bill or law.

I think the writer simplifies things . For example the "beer". Line . It's not about beer, it's about a candidate who's in tune with the working class american. Is that a bad reason ?

I think the writer simplifies things . For example the "beer". Line . It's not about beer, it's about a candidate who's in tune with the working class american. Is that a bad reason ?

I think it goes to likability, I'd have a beer with someone like but that doesn't mean I'd vote for them for President. Would you?

Yes that's what the line means, but yes it's also a bad reason. That's all based on emotional presentation, and that's a dangerous road.

Now if the candy-date's actual record and performance reflect that, then yes that's a good reason to get your vote. But just the fact that he can put you emotionally at ease visually ---- not so much.

I'm afraid to load that page again (takes too long to close it) but I believe the writer points out how much money, and how much percentage of a campaign's work/advertising/propaganda --- is dedicated specifically to engineering those perceptions. That's why I complain that we don't elect a candidate any more --- we purchase a product, and whoever's got the best sales presentation wins.

Last edited:
So, I was looking up reasons to vote for various candidates and this article pops up.

• He/she is with ____ religion"/"He/she is not with ____ religion" (or any religion)
Bad reasons? These reasons are why Obama got elected.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Bad reasons? These reasons are why Obama got elected.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Uh -- really. O'bama got elected because of his religion and nice hair?
Had nothing to do with the fact that the economy had just collapsed and the alternative was a septuagenarian cancer survivor representing "more of the same" who took a Barbie doll for a running mate as a "fuck you" huh?

Forum List

Back