Fixing America: 1st step...make military TRULY all-volunteer

You want to end stupid wars.....do the opposite of what you are suggesting, Bucs. Require military service. Even assholes won't thoughtlessly send their own into war without just cause.

A naive suggestion. It is based on the deluded world view of man as inherently good in nature, thus man will freely choose to do what's good.

The truth is that all humans are born with sin nature. Man in inherently evil. Man's sin nature means that man desire evil and want to sin. Man will freely choose to do evil.

The good that we do comes from God and not from ourselves.

There is no god. Man is good.

Just some thoughts on what I wish politicians would run on for 2016.

And one of them is that I wish they'd make the military all volunteer. TRULY all volunteer. What do I mean? I mean no contracts. If a military member refuses to do his job, or leaves, he is AWOL and could be thrown in jail.

It shouldn't be that way. It should be just like a police officer. You work at will. You can quit anytime you want. Do your job, and follow orders, or get fired and find a new job, but, no jail.

Why do that? Well, for one, I'm sick of the war loving radicals who say "we" need to go fight (insert country) everywhere in the world. When they say "we" they don't mean "we" they mean "they" as in the US troops. Our troops deserve better.

All these politicians and radical right wingers who clamor for wars....would they pick up that rifle and go fight if asked? HELL NO, but they'll preach that "we" need to "do something" about every craphole in the world.

Make it all volunteer, all the time. So, the ONLY time our military will fight....is when all our brave men and women decide its worth fighting.

When radicals on the right, or left, say we need to go intervene in Crapistan or wherever, but 60% of the Army says they just wont go do it, then there we go, instantly a smarter foreign policy.

DESCRETION. Its a tried and true way that for decades police depts. have been able to ignore stupid laws politicians pass or demand, because cops can just say "nope, not doing it".

Well, our men and women of the military deserve the same chance to say "Hey, Washington, this is fucking stupid, and we are NOT going to fight there, its not worth it".

I guarantee our foreign policy gets better, and if or when a REAL threat comes here....our military will destroy it without hesitation.

But God damn it, I'm sick of seeing our boys thrown into all these shitholes for no good reason, and face jail time if they dared to say no.

Yeah, an army of people who can just leave is an army that doesn't work!!!!!!

You sign up, if you're stupid enough not to understand what you're getting yourself in for, then that's your problem. If you do know, then you signed up.

And one of them is that I wish they'd make the military all volunteer. TRULY all volunteer. What do I mean? I mean no contracts. If a military member refuses to do his job, or leaves, he is AWOL and could be thrown in jail.

It shouldn't be that way. It should be just like a police officer. You work at will. You can quit anytime you want. Do your job, and follow orders, or get fired and find a new job, but, no jail.

Why do that? Well, for one, I'm sick of the war loving radicals who say "we" need to go fight (insert country) everywhere in the world. When they say "we" they don't mean "we" they mean "they" as in the US troops. Our troops deserve better.

All these politicians and radical right wingers who clamor for wars....would they pick up that rifle and go fight if asked? HELL NO, but they'll preach that "we" need to "do something" about every craphole in the world.

Make it all volunteer, all the time. So, the ONLY time our military will fight....is when all our brave men and women decide its worth fighting.

When radicals on the right, or left, say we need to go intervene in Crapistan or wherever, but 60% of the Army says they just wont go do it, then there we go, instantly a smarter foreign policy.

DESCRETION. Its a tried and true way that for decades police depts. have been able to ignore stupid laws politicians pass or demand, because cops can just say "nope, not doing it".

Well, our men and women of the military deserve the same chance to say "Hey, Washington, this is fucking stupid, and we are NOT going to fight there, its not worth it".

I guarantee our foreign policy gets better, and if or when a REAL threat comes here....our military will destroy it without hesitation.

But God damn it, I'm sick of seeing our boys thrown into all these shitholes for no good reason, and face jail time if they dared to say no.

I'm sure the Germans would love such a position during World War II. The landing on D-Day was the bravest advancement of our marines in the face of certain death. Why shouldn't half of those young soldiers just up and say "The hell with this!" ?? What would the results and repercussions have been?

I served in active duty as a "volunteer" along side special forces. I knew what I was getting into when I signed a government contract. I wanted to contribute my life towards the price of those freedoms I enjoy, freedoms that all came with a cost from those not willing to give up. Lives like those in Gettysburg, who fought for the idea of abolishing slavery, a battle which proved the bloodiest in United States History to date. They didn't quit, or choose to save their own selfish hides over a cause. If you don't like the military or what it stands for, you can simply choose to remain on the sidelines. The military isn't for everyone, but you should at least respect those who died to preserve and defend our freedoms.

There were no U.S. Marines at the Normandy landing...

I'm sure the Germans would love such a position during World War II. The landing on D-Day was the bravest advancement of our marines in the face of certain death. Why shouldn't half of those young soldiers just up and say "The hell with this!" ?? What would the results and repercussions have been?

I served in active duty as a "volunteer" along side special forces. I knew what I was getting into when I signed a government contract. I wanted to contribute my life towards the price of those freedoms I enjoy, freedoms that all came with a cost from those not willing to give up. Lives like those in Gettysburg, who fought for the idea of abolishing slavery, a battle which proved the bloodiest in United States History to date. They didn't quit, or choose to save their own selfish hides over a cause. If you don't like the military or what it stands for, you can simply choose to remain on the sidelines. The military isn't for everyone, but you should at least respect those who died to preserve and defend our freedoms.

Hey man....can you huff and puff some more? What does "alongside special forces" mean?

Why is it that so few of our USMB vets are able to be honest about their military service? Especially regarding the reason(s) that they joined?

I joined because of the recession in 1982 and for the benefits(education, health), not to mention also that my family has been here in the US since the revolution and each generation has served in the ,military, my sons also joined.
All I wanted to do was maint. or admin duty. I had no desire to be a grunt...

Bucs, I have to disagree with you, i think that holding people to a contract is really the only method to instill discipline.

Particularly when you are talking about young people who don't have a lot of it to start with.

Another good point, the average age of those fighting our wars is quite young, and they are very different than a 30+ year old.

Guess my gripe is the moron politicians making decisions that screw over our military folks more so than the structure of the military and its contracts.

but again, whose fault is that? we keep voting these idiots in.

I think a bigger problem in the military is it's unwillingness to let people go even when they prove unfit for military service. They wanted to Wash out Bradley...er...Chelsea Manning in Boot Camp, but someone insisted on keeping him. Look how well that turned out.

Nidal Hasan was batshit crazy and didn't want to be in the Army. They not only whitewashed his questionable record, they promoted the idiot.

I think a mandatory draft would have a better effect. Then you would have the sons of some of these meatheads who always want war in the military. I suspect they would be less likely to send them to war.

Nah that's doesn't work.

During the drafting period of the Viet Nam War the children of the affluent only got drafted if they allowed it to happen.

So under your system (which we had remember, and a lot of here lived it) only the dienfranchised and the poor got drafted.

Now if EVERY child was drafted, no exceptions, that might work, but that never happened in all the time that this nation had a draft.

I think a mandatory draft would have a better effect. Then you would have the sons of some of these meatheads who always want war in the military. I suspect they would be less likely to send them to war.

Nah!~ that doesn't work.

During the drafting period of the VietNam conflict the children of the affluent only got drafted if they allowed it to happen.

Almost every kid I went to elementary school (children of the upper middle class) GOT DEFERRED

So under your system (which we had, remember, and a lot of here lived it) only the disenfranchised and the poor got drafted.

Now if EVERY child was drafted, no exceptions, that might work, but that never happened in all the time that this nation had a draft.

Last edited:

It shouldn't be that way. It should be just like a police officer. You work at will. Y

We already have the no-contract solution, it's called the Militia, and it can only be compelled to serve during a time of invasion (not simply a "time of war").

Why does [MENTION=22689]bucs90[/MENTION] ignore the best response to his question?

You want to end stupid wars.....do the opposite of what you are suggesting, Bucs. Require military service. Even assholes won't thoughtlessly send their own into war without just cause.

How is that any different from the original Militia system?

This is the first time I've seen liberals on USMB advocate for restoring the Militia of the Several States.

Last edited:

How is that any different from the original Militia system?

This is the first time I've seen liberals on USMB advocate for restoring the Militia of the Several States.

You are a spaz. Nobody takes your comment seriously....which is why you need to beg for a reply. You are 23 and healthy. You should be in Kabul.

Your idea is worse then bucs's. Congrats

I suppose you want us to imagine your reasoning? I'll bet it's really smart

You want my reasoning as to why forcing people to join the military is a bad idea? Really? 1) There's no need to do so. We have a population of over 300 million, I'm pretty sure we can find enough volunteers. 2) We're not in a perpetual state of War that threatens our existence, like Israel. 3) I fail to see how forcing people to join the military is going to reduce any conflicts we get involved in whatsoever.

You want my reasoning as to why forcing people to join the military is a bad idea? Really? 1) There's no need to do so. We have a population of over 300 million, I'm pretty sure we can find enough volunteers. 2) We're not in a perpetual state of War that threatens our existence, like Israel. 3) I fail to see how forcing people to join the military is going to reduce any conflicts we get involved in whatsoever.

What brilliance! I'm so glad I'm not competing with you for some kind of logic medal. You rock!

You fail to see how mandatory service in the armed forces would reduce our likelihood of getting involved in conflicts? That spark of brilliance is especially bright. Especially since I already explained it to you. Thanks for being you.

What brilliance! I'm so glad I'm not competing with you for some kind of logic medal. You rock!

You fail to see how mandatory service in the armed forces would reduce our likelihood of getting involved in conflicts? That spark of brilliance is especially bright. Especially since I already explained it to you. Thanks for being you.

Compared to you - I'm Steven fucking hawking, I know. Your explanation was retarded. There are already children of politicians who are in the military. That hasn't stopped us from getting in to wars, has it?

Compared to you - I'm Steven fucking hawking, I know. Your explanation was retarded. There are already children of politicians who are in the military. That hasn't stopped us from getting in to wars, has it?

Oh! You were thinking about politicians! Of course. A person of limited intelligence would. Can you think of anyone else who might have a bit of an interest? I'll bet you can if you really try.

Oh! You were thinking about politicians! Of course. A person of limited intelligence would. Can you think of anyone else who might have a bit of an interest? I'll bet you can if you really try.

Who else but politicians send people to war, numskull?

Who else but politicians send people to war, numskull?

Awwwww. Aren't you just the sweetest thing! Precious.

Forum List

Back