Fixing America: 1st step...make military TRULY all-volunteer

Your idea for a volunteer military would just not work. Troops being able to walk away at will would quickly reduce the military to an uncontrollable rabble. Neither would a conscripted military work. We saw how the blow back in Vietnam forced the US to end the war. The only reason we left Vietnam is because of the marches and protests by the people.
The following is just speculation on my part and may be completely in error. I believe the military/industrial complex (MIC) controls many in Congress. Most, but not all, are on the republican side of the aisle. The MIC also knows what I posted above about volunteerism and conscription working against their interests. What the MIC wants is a steady stream of people who are forced to join the military for financial reasons. This occurs when there are few jobs outside of the military and when wages are kept low. This is exactly what the gop is working for. They do not want a jobs bill and they do not want a higher minimum wage. Who benefits from this situation? Clearly it is the MIC because when this happens people join the military of necessity due to the fact that there are no other choices available.

If the troops could say no, we never would've had a Vietnam War. Or it would've been much shorter.

I agree with the 2nd half of your post.
In WW2 there was a relatively short period of basic training to prepare soldiers for the field. But think how much war has changed from WW2 until now. Today's soldiers have to not only learn battle skills, they must work with complex electronic and communication systems. The time it takes to go from a new recruit to a qualified soldier takes much, much more time due to the technology involved. If highly skilled soldiers can just quit and walk off the field when they feel like it the effectiveness of the unit can be completely compromised. The idea of a citizen soldier putting down his shovel to go and fight when they feel like it is not practical in today's complex world.

That's true, but its also true for many jobs in many lines of work.

How much power to military officers really have? For example, lets say in 2024, a hypothetical independent President John Doe took power, and the Independent Party took Congress, and all just voted to invade and conquer Canada and Mexico, for no good reason. Instant war on our neighbors.

If the military officers all said no, what happens? This is sort of tied to the gun debate. Because if a national confiscation ever was ordered, the military would have to do it. There aren't enough cops to do it even if all agreed to, and I guarantee 98% of cops would say fuck off, they wouldn't do it.

What if the military said no also?

Just some thoughts on what I wish politicians would run on for 2016.

And one of them is that I wish they'd make the military all volunteer. TRULY all volunteer. What do I mean? I mean no contracts. If a military member refuses to do his job, or leaves, he is AWOL and could be thrown in jail.

It shouldn't be that way. It should be just like a police officer. You work at will. You can quit anytime you want. Do your job, and follow orders, or get fired and find a new job, but, no jail.

Why do that? Well, for one, I'm sick of the war loving radicals who say "we" need to go fight (insert country) everywhere in the world. When they say "we" they don't mean "we" they mean "they" as in the US troops. Our troops deserve better.

All these politicians and radical right wingers who clamor for wars....would they pick up that rifle and go fight if asked? HELL NO, but they'll preach that "we" need to "do something" about every craphole in the world.

Make it all volunteer, all the time. So, the ONLY time our military will fight....is when all our brave men and women decide its worth fighting.

When radicals on the right, or left, say we need to go intervene in Crapistan or wherever, but 60% of the Army says they just wont go do it, then there we go, instantly a smarter foreign policy.

DESCRETION. Its a tried and true way that for decades police depts. have been able to ignore stupid laws politicians pass or demand, because cops can just say "nope, not doing it".

Well, our men and women of the military deserve the same chance to say "Hey, Washington, this is fucking stupid, and we are NOT going to fight there, its not worth it".

I guarantee our foreign policy gets better, and if or when a REAL threat comes here....our military will destroy it without hesitation.

But God damn it, I'm sick of seeing our boys thrown into all these shitholes for no good reason, and face jail time if they dared to say no.

You should TRULY volunteer yourself for a mental health evaluation. :cuckoo:

What a wonderful idea...you get an order you don't like...so you can quit and go home with no consequences. Iran launches a nuke at Israel...the president(obviously not this one) gives the order to strike Tehran. Your ten nuke missiles are selected to launch. You throw your keys on the launch console and call mommy. You gotta be shitting me.

I would hope, even now, we have people manning nuclear missile launch sites that have the ability in their hearts to risk their jobs to say "NO" when asked to launch a nuke.

In fact, I bet most of our military would say "NO" if the hypothetical order came down to "Go door to door and confiscate all the guns in the United States citizenry".

Anyway. Im just sick of hearing people like John McCain and other morons preaching about how "we" need to do something militarily about the Ukraine/Russia situation. As if THEY are gonna be the ones picking up a gun.

Our troops deserve better. And they aren't even getting the proper care when they return home. Im sick of seeing it, and I've never even been in the military.

The US would not launch a first strike nuclear attack, and if the US was attacked with nukes, I would hope the people manning the launch sites would launch our nukes before a second wave killed a few milion more Americans.

Going door to door to confiscate 'all the guns' would be considered a violation of the 2nd Amendment that every soldier takes an oath to defend, therefore it would be an unlawful order. There are no consequences to disobeying an unlawful order.

I haven't heard John McCain even suggest 'picking up a gun' as a solution to the Ukraine,Russia situation. If you have a link to his 'preaching' military intervention I would be interested in reading it.

Last edited:
Just some thoughts on what I wish politicians would run on for 2016..

how would letting people skip out on their military service "fix" america?

you want the training and you want us to invest money in giving you skills, you sign a contract. otherwise you're useless because you're going to take off the minute it gets hot.

It wouldn't be skipping out. It would simply be quitting a job, like anyone else can. It may prevent dickheads like John McCain and others under the defense lobbyist payroll from begging for yet another war against another country that poses us no immediate threat. And another generation of brave vets who fought....only to be denied care once they get home.

If the United States ever came under a true, REAL, legitimate, immediate threat from a foreign nation, I have no doubt that every single person in the military would fight until victory was won. Like any war, a few would not, some would find ways out. That happens already. But under a REAL threat, the military and millions of armed citizens would fight.

I just think we need to stop sending our troops into places that don't threaten us. Especially if we aren't gonna take care of them when they get back.

Well you're wrong.

Dude, your idea is just silly. No one in any type of position of power would give your idea any credence whatsoever .

Thanks for the laugh.

And one of them is that I wish they'd make the military all volunteer. TRULY all volunteer. What do I mean? I mean no contracts. If a military member refuses to do his job, or leaves, he is AWOL and could be thrown in jail.

It shouldn't be that way. It should be just like a police officer. You work at will. You can quit anytime you want. Do your job, and follow orders, or get fired and find a new job, but, no jail.

Why do that? Well, for one, I'm sick of the war loving radicals who say "we" need to go fight (insert country) everywhere in the world. When they say "we" they don't mean "we" they mean "they" as in the US troops. Our troops deserve better.

All these politicians and radical right wingers who clamor for wars....would they pick up that rifle and go fight if asked? HELL NO, but they'll preach that "we" need to "do something" about every craphole in the world.

Make it all volunteer, all the time. So, the ONLY time our military will fight....is when all our brave men and women decide its worth fighting.

When radicals on the right, or left, say we need to go intervene in Crapistan or wherever, but 60% of the Army says they just wont go do it, then there we go, instantly a smarter foreign policy.

DESCRETION. Its a tried and true way that for decades police depts. have been able to ignore stupid laws politicians pass or demand, because cops can just say "nope, not doing it".

Well, our men and women of the military deserve the same chance to say "Hey, Washington, this is fucking stupid, and we are NOT going to fight there, its not worth it".

I guarantee our foreign policy gets better, and if or when a REAL threat comes here....our military will destroy it without hesitation.

But God damn it, I'm sick of seeing our boys thrown into all these shitholes for no good reason, and face jail time if they dared to say no.

You and JosefB make an awesome couple

What a wonderful idea...you get an order you don't like...so you can quit and go home with no consequences. Iran launches a nuke at Israel...the president(obviously not this one) gives the order to strike Tehran. Your ten nuke missiles are selected to launch. You throw your keys on the launch console and call mommy. You gotta be shitting me.

I would hope, even now, we have people manning nuclear missile launch sites that have the ability in their hearts to risk their jobs to say "NO" when asked to launch a nuke.

In fact, I bet most of our military would say "NO" if the hypothetical order came down to "Go door to door and confiscate all the guns in the United States citizenry".

Anyway. Im just sick of hearing people like John McCain and other morons preaching about how "we" need to do something militarily about the Ukraine/Russia situation. As if THEY are gonna be the ones picking up a gun.

Our troops deserve better. And they aren't even getting the proper care when they return home. Im sick of seeing it, and I've never even been in the military.

If they refused they would be courts martialed and sent to prison. The military is not like any other organization. You take the oath...you obey lawful orders...you do not quit...you go forward...it can't be any other way. If you survive you retire at a young age with lifetime security. Sure worked for me.

Ah, fair enough. LEO work is he same deal really....do your 25, go into some shady situations that could get you hurt for no good reason....and retire with a decent paycheck. But at least that's at home, protecting our streets.

I just hate seeing the military get sent to bumfuck Earth for no good reason, BUT, you military guys....if you say its worth it and I'm wrong, then I plead ignorance.

Your profile tag says
"America's new direction...(proposed)
Pull back from foreign entanglements
Muscle up at home (military /infrastructure/economy)
Man up to friend and foe
Lead
New management required. "

I agree.

The US would not launch a first strike nuclear attack, and, if the US was attacked with nukes, I would hope the people manning the launch sites would launch our nukes before a second wave killed a few milion more Americans.

. There are no consequences to disobeying an unlawful Going door to door to confiscate 'all the guns' would be considered an unlawful order and should be disobeyedorder.
I haven't heard John McCain even suggest 'picking up a gun' as a solution to the Ukraine,Russia situation. If you have a link to his 'preaching' military intervention I would be interested in reading it.

But laws are just ink on paper. If a law is passed banning them, and a court upholds it, then an order to confiscate is "lawful".

That's why I think discretion is so important for men and women in uniform who carry guns......foreign or domestic.

Our wars have been poorly waged because our leaders require the military to fight with one...sometimes two...hands tied behind our back. The first war we wage with total commitment and no holds barred could well be the last war we ever wage. No one would want to risk total destruction.

The US would not launch a first strike nuclear attack, and, if the US was attacked with nukes, I would hope the people manning the launch sites would launch our nukes before a second wave killed a few milion more Americans.

. There are no consequences to disobeying an unlawful Going door to door to confiscate 'all the guns' would be considered an unlawful order and should be disobeyedorder.

But laws are just ink on paper. If a law is passed banning them, and a court upholds it, then an order to confiscate is "lawful".

That's why I think discretion is so important for men and women in uniform who carry guns......foreign or domestic.

It would take a Constitutional Amendent that reverses the 2nd Amendment to ban 'all the guns.' If that happens, (fat chance) it would become a lawful order and soldiers would obey it. See how that works.

A bit crude, but when I was in the service we called guys like you 'shithouse lawyers.' Most of what comes out of your mouth is crap.

I have no problem with that so long as they receive a large percentage of their pay in a lump sum when their enlistment is up. If they bail early, they kiss off a big pot of money.

Last edited:
A naive suggestion. It is based on the deluded world view of man as inherently good in nature, thus man will freely choose to do what's good.

The truth is that all humans are born with sin nature. Man in inherently evil. Man's sin nature means that man desire evil and want to sin. Man will freely choose to do evil.

The good that we do comes from God and not from ourselves.

Last edited:

I'm sure the Germans would love such a position during World War II. The landing on D-Day was the bravest advancement of our marines in the face of certain death. Why shouldn't half of those young soldiers just up and say "The hell with this!" ?? What would the results and repercussions have been?

I served in active duty as a "volunteer" along side special forces. I knew what I was getting into when I signed a government contract. I wanted to contribute my life towards the price of those freedoms I enjoy, freedoms that all came with a cost from those not willing to give up. Lives like those in Gettysburg, who fought for the idea of abolishing slavery, a battle which proved the bloodiest in United States History to date. They didn't quit, or choose to save their own selfish hides over a cause. If you don't like the military or what it stands for, you can simply choose to remain on the sidelines. The military isn't for everyone, but you should at least respect those who died to preserve and defend our freedoms.

Last edited:

I agree with your point on McCain. Like all politicians, you just have to follow the money to see where their loyalty really is. And I'm glad John Kerry opened his mouth on Syria and Putin stepped up. I don't like that commie but he kept Obama from sending troops to Syria. Both parties should be ran out of office.

Anyway, there is a reason that orders are followed in the military. The more junior you are, the less you actually know about the situation. When the order comes to launch nukes, it's not one that is done lightly. I don't want some punk ass tree hugger in cammies saying he won't launch nukes because they are bad for the environment. When he's told to launch, there is a good reason. This isn't a movie, this is real life.

Our wars have been poorly waged because our leaders require the military to fight with one...sometimes two...hands tied behind our back. The first war we wage with total commitment and no holds barred could well be the last war we ever wage. No one would want to risk total destruction.

Harry Truman is long dead. We have entered the world of namby pamby military execution. We are the leader...let us act like one.

I think a mandatory draft would have a better effect. Then you would have the sons of some of these meatheads who always want war in the military. I suspect they would be less likely to send them to war.

Where did the myth of "radical right wingers who start wars" come from? Every conflict in the bloody 20th century started during a democrat administration. Clinton topped off the 20th century by authorizing NATO to bomb a defenseless European country without congressional authorization to deflect attention from the fact that he forced an intern to commit sodomy in the Oval Office. President Bush had approval of 35% of democrats in congress to send combat troops to Iraq and then democrats pretended they were too stupid to understand what they voted for and undermined the conflict after they authorized it. The last time I looked a radical left winger was in the White House and the conflict in Afghanistan has been going on for his first term and into his 2nd.

Where did the myth of "radical right wingers who start wars" come from? Every conflict in the bloody 20th century started during a democrat administration. Clinton topped off the 20th century by authorizing NATO to bomb a defenseless European country without congressional authorization to deflect attention from the fact that he forced an intern to commit sodomy in the Oval Office. President Bush had approval of 35% of democrats in congress to send combat troops to Iraq and then democrats pretended they were too stupid to understand what they voted for and undermined the conflict after they authorized it. The last time I looked a radical left winger was in the White House and the conflict in Afghanistan has been going on for his first term and into his 2nd.

Bush pushing two wars that made little sense went a long way to create the idea right wingers start wars. Then when I was watching the Republican debates the other candidates weren't so nice to Ron Paul because he doesn't think we should be starting wars and policing the world. Also so John McCain.

I'm sure the Germans would love such a position during World War II. The landing on D-Day was the bravest advancement of our marines in the face of certain death. Why shouldn't half of those young soldiers just up and say "The hell with this!" ?? What would the results and repercussions have been?

I served in active duty as a "volunteer" along side special forces. I knew what I was getting into when I signed a government contract. I wanted to contribute my life towards the price of those freedoms I enjoy, freedoms that all came with a cost from those not willing to give up. Lives like those in Gettysburg, who fought for the idea of abolishing slavery, a battle which proved the bloodiest in United States History to date. They didn't quit, or choose to save their own selfish hides over a cause. If you don't like the military or what it stands for, you can simply choose to remain on the sidelines. The military isn't for everyone, but you should at least respect those who died to preserve and defend our freedoms.

I truly hope it didn't come across as disrespectful, as I have a huge admiration for the military, and in fact, feel you guys are getting so short-changed by our government in that they gladly send you to war and find billions to do so..but never have the money to take proper car of you all when you return.

That said....would you still have done all that if not under contract? I say this out of ignorance since I don't know you.

I guess my biggest wish is that they would stop sending our troops into shitty situations for no real good reason. Normandy was a good reason. Somalia? Not.

so lets say this Country actually got attacked....are they also free to say...hey screw this....i aint fighting.....i was only here for the benefits ...i did not expect this to happen....

I truly hope it didn't come across as disrespectful, as I have a huge admiration for the military, and in fact, feel you guys are getting so short-changed by our government in that they gladly send you to war and find billions to do so..but never have the money to take proper car of you all when you return.

That said....would you still have done all that if not under contract? I say this out of ignorance since I don't know you.

I guess my biggest wish is that they would stop sending our troops into shitty situations for no real good reason. Normandy was a good reason. Somalia? Not.

Heinlein's Terran Federation is a limited democracy, with aspects of a meritocracy in regard to full citizenship, based on voluntarily assuming a responsibility for the common good.

Citizens are people who joined the Federal Service and were honorably or medically discharged and given franchise. Joining the Federal Service does not necessarily mean the military. Applicants may be assigned to any field where they sacrifice their time and effort for the Federation, though military service is the most glorified.

Suffrage can only be earned by those willing to serve their society by at least two years of volunteer Federal Service – "the franchise is today limited to discharged veterans", instead of anyone "...who is 18 years old and has a body temperature near 37 °C". Life and liberty exist only if they are deliberately sought and, often, bought painfully by great effort and sacrifice.

There is an explicit contrast to the "democracies of the 20th century", which according to the novel, collapsed because "people had been led to believe that they could simply vote for whatever they wanted... and get it, without toil, without sweat, without tears."

"A citizen accepts personal responsibility for the safety of the body politic, defending it with his life, a civilian does not." - Johnny Rico while still a student.

"A citizen has the courage to make the safety of the human race his personal responsibility." - Johnny Rico after weeks of military service.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back