Florida Explanding 'Stand Your Ground' Law So You Can Fire A Warning Shot!

Firing a warning shot doesn't mean no one will be hurt. The person you are warning might be hurt, but someone ten miles away might be killed from your bullet.

Really? Ten miles away? Where can I get a gun that fires ten miles? I'll bet that recoil is a bitch

Wait, a Republican correcting a law that wrongly sent a black woman to prison for 20 years? Something isn't right here.

What do you think happens to the round after it's fired? You have to account for the trajectory of the round that fired.

What do you do fire it in the air?, Into the ground or just anywhere you feel like it.?

Perhaps you should rethink your position.

I will concede that a safely placed warning shot can shock a person into compliant behavior that precludes having to shoot them. But it takes years of experience and many hours of training to be able to safely place a warning shot during a confrontation and in the heat of the moment.

I'm very aware of all of that. Perhaps you should rethink your position that sending someone to prison for 20 years is a reasonable sentence for firing one that never harmed a hair on anyone's head.

If you pull a gun - then shoot to kill - that is usually the brief summary of any training one gets while getting a CCW permit.

Which is very different form the approach in many other countries - you are required to shoot not to kill, but to disarm, therefore the legs and so on.

Could I just shoot them in the leg and call that their warning?

I'm not an expert, but I always learned that if you are going to pull the trigger, shoot to kill.

Immie

You guys are either fantasizing after watching too many cop shows or you live in some really low life neighborhoods.

The 3rd option that you left out is the actual one. We are speculating, often with tongue in cheek, about what the new law means. I've never had to even think about drawing my weapon.

It is ridiculous that they even think they have the authority to grant us "permission" to fire ANY kind of shot, warning or otherwise, in a life-threatening situation. If someone's trying to harm me or someone I'm shooting them until the threat is over.

Florida Expanding 'Stand Your Ground' Law

I would never fire a warning shot.
Same here. If someone is pointing a gun at me, and demanding my money, I would be toast if I even considered firing a warning shot. The strategy would be to not let the gunner know that I have a gun. With the element of surprise, and as soon as he is distracted, I would draw my gun and neutralize him so he isn't a threat anymore.

I'm not an expert, but I always learned that if you are going to pull the trigger, shoot to kill.

Immie

You guys are either fantasizing after watching too many cop shows or you live in some really low life neighborhoods.

The facts are, you shoot to kill. But don't reload unless they are still shooting back at you.

And I have pulled my gun on someone.

Twice.

Didn't have to shoot either time, but I was ready to. I was ready to empty that 357 Mag first time from 10 feet and the 9mm the second time from 30 feet.

The only time I didn't shoot and should have, I couldn't get to my gun. He is still walking the streets.

It is ridiculous that they even think they have the authority to grant us "permission" to fire ANY kind of shot, warning or otherwise, in a life-threatening situation. If someone's trying to harm me or someone I'm shooting them until the threat is over.

I think the courts have ruled that an acceptable warning can be done in the form of muzzle blast.

Wait, a Republican correcting a law that wrongly sent a black woman to prison for 20 years? Something isn't right here.

What do you think happens to the round after it's fired? You have to account for the trajectory of the round that fired.

What do you do fire it in the air?, Into the ground or just anywhere you feel like it.?

Perhaps you should rethink your position.

I will concede that a safely placed warning shot can shock a person into compliant behavior that precludes having to shoot them. But it takes years of experience and many hours of training to be able to safely place a warning shot during a confrontation and in the heat of the moment.

It is fairly intuitive that a safe warning shot would be to shoot directly into the ground as close to a 90 degree angle as possible, with the slight angle away pointing away from any habitation.

"If the expansion takes place, law-abiding citizens who fire a warning shot “would be immune from Florida’s ’10-20-Life’ law, which requires anyone who shows a gun while committing certain felonies…be sentenced to 10 years in prison.” If someone is wounded, the “10-20-Life” law requires a sentence of 25 years to life."

That confused me. Why is a law needed to prevent someone going to jail while committing a felony if there is no felony committed?

I can't even come up with a scenario off the top of my head where I would fire a "warning shot."

Because libtards have prosecuted gun owners for giving warning shots.

i would, and WILL ...., two in the chest and one to the head !! :up: ... :lmao: ... :up: ... :lmao: ... :up: ... :lmao: ... :up: ... :lmao: ... .

a leg wound will bring on a law suit so fast you will not realize that all your wealth and property now belongs to the one you shot.., you'd be better off killing him/her.., dead people make poor witnesses :up:

Firing a warning shot doesn't mean no one will be hurt. The person you are warning might be hurt, but someone ten miles away might be killed from your bullet.

Really? Ten miles away? Where can I get a gun that fires ten miles? I'll bet that recoil is a bitch

22 LR can travel up to 2 miles
30-06 can go up to 3 miles
50 caliber up to 5.

Some big bore guns like the .900 NE, who fucking knows?

That is not 'effective range' just how far the bullet can travel whether ballisticly stable or not.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back