Florida Gov. DeSantis Has Just Signed A Bill Into Law That Would Allow Everyday Floridians To Sue Big Tech Platforms For Monetary Damages

There's a place for lies, slander, dangerous medical advice, personal attacks and insane conspiracy theories. Maybe Conservative Treehouse or WMD would be appropriate for Trump.
maybe

but that doesn’t negate the fact that all that takes place on facebook and tweeter as well, and they shouldn’t be above the law and protected from liability

That's the point.. Facebook doesn't want the liability associated with lies, slander and bad medical advice. Trump needs to take that on himself.. He's trying to undermine the election process. Facebook doesn't want to be party to that.

Trump should take on the liability of his lies and conspiracy theories.

No, that's NOT the point, because Facebook doesn't currently face any liabilities associated with the content posted by its users. Basically, you're doing the same dishonest shit they're trying to: demanding that they get to act like publishers, while trying to cloak your bigotry in the mantle of "platform".

You have no business accusing anyone else of being a liar, given that you've never said a truthful word in all the time you've been spewing shit on this board. Oh, and the word "lie" is not defined as "saying things I don't like". Good to know that your knowledge of the English language is as extensive as your knowledge of the law.

Democrats running around screaming free markets! Free markets! Just unbelievable. Literally, as if they care about free markets.

They are just cheering because it's working, Republicans are being silenced.

And dblack doesn't see a problem
it’s not even about free markets. Free markets welcome the exchange of ideas, not censorship.

with that said, facebook is free in a free society to publish the content they want...with that said they should therefore be treated the same as everyone else in that business
Exchange of ideas like football players kneeling during the National Anthem? How did the right like that exchange of ideas?
I think some folks didn't like it....what's your point? I am not seeing the connection here. Facebook is free to have requirements of their employees as well. Facebook employees can sue Facebook....just like Kap was free to sue the NFL.

what we however is talking about something different all together. We are talking about consumers being able to sue Facebook. Just like consumers are free to sue the New Yorker, or NY Times....why do you continue to think that Facebook should be immune, be treated differently and get better protections?
you can sue anybody for anything.
You can sue FB.
HOWEVER
Passing a law to create a cause of action where none exists for the purpose of damaging specific entities is unconstitutional.
Article 1 Section 9 "No bill of attainder or ex post facto Law shall be passed."
sorry no facebook and tweeter are protected under federal law from liability

Govt can make laws creating a cause of action

this isn’t a bill or attained or ex post facto law. 1) it’s not criminal 2) nobody is saying they are guilty of anything
Government CANNOT make laws intended to harm individuals.
It's that Constitution you guys love to ignore.
How is allowing Facebook to be sued for cause "making a law intended to harm individuals?"
The "cause" doesn't exist. Only exists because a law was created for the express purpose of creating a cause SO FB could be sued and remember..."Corporations are people my friend."
govt can create cause of action
Not directed at harming a specific individual.
this law isn’t directed at a specific individual
A legislative act that singles out an individual or group for punishment without a trial.
ok...and how does that appply here?
Legislative act...check
Singles out...check
fines=punishment w/o trial...check and Check.
Who does it single out?
My god you are stupid.
Internet platforms and information providers.
You know, just like DuhDumbass bragged.

Try reading some news sometime.

So laws against air pollution from coal fired generators are "singling out" utility companies?

You really are incredibly stupid.
Of course. Laws don't say you can't pollute. They say that if the amount of pollution exceeds X then you get fined Y. Companies then make their business decisions. Coal fired generators or smelting plants, all the same. As permitted by the EPA regulations passed by Congress and affirmed by the SCOTUS. Under that damned General Welfare clause.

This piece of crap? Sorry. 1, 10, and expostfacto.

Wanna try another stupid analogy?
Nope. They have specific regulations for coal fired power plants. For instance, the have rules regulating how tall the smoke stack has to be.

You're simply too stupid to waste time arguing with.

The Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act (PLCAA) is a United States law that protects firearms manufacturers and dealers from being held liable when crimes have been committed with their products.
yep, indirectly for legal sales

it however doesn’t make them immune from direct actions or negligence

The Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act (PLCAA) is a United States law that protects firearms manufacturers and dealers from being held liable when crimes have been committed with their products.
Exactly, moron. In other words, they can't be sued.
Exactly. Except for acts of congress, anybody can sue anybody for anything.

So unless you can show congress enacted a law to protect facebook, they can currently be sued by anybody for anything.

Fool !!!
I just proved they can't. You even quote one law that says so.

How stupid can one person be?

Civil rights act 1965
americans with disabilities act of 1990
Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act of 2009

Make that every 20 years

Previously, I stated under the new Florida law, lawsuits can proceed against social media companies who arbitrarily censor users, up to $100,000 each.

However, in cases where the censoring is deplatforming* directed at candidates for Florida state offices, the Florida Election Commission will impose FINES of $250,000 per day, and $25,000 per day for de-platforming candidates for non-statewide offices.

* practice by a social media platform to permanently delete or ban a user, or to temporarily delete or ban a user from the social media platform, for more than 14 days

< Don't worry about what this says. just click it and it will give your the full text of the Florida law (SB 7072 - the Stop Social Media Censorship Act,)

Arbitrarily? Good luck proving that.

Only if someone tries to sue. I think most lawyers would see the problems with pursuing such a lawsuit.
What's the problem ? A forum engages in arbitrary censorship, breaks the law, and gets sued.

Or the site adds a new rules to the TOS.

"Any person my be banned for the good of the site". Now the bannings would not be arbitrary.

Congress creates new reasons for people to sue all the time.

Ledbetter Act, Civil Rights Act, american disabilities act
Congratulations, you've shown that "all the time" is once every ten years.
or just threw out three rather obvious ones off the top of my head

sorry you were and are so uninformed
Unless you had two irrefutable examples for the last 40 years, he would find some reason to criticize it.

I wouldn't call regulating the shutting down of speech from the President of the United States (while China & Iran leaders speak freely) > "over involved"

It's over involved when a state tries to dictate how a company over 2,000 miles away conducts their business.

What's the problem ? A forum engages in arbitrary censorship, breaks the law, and gets sued.

It would never happen because Florida does not have jurisdiction over a company not in their state. A state can only make laws for their state, not for companies in another state.

For something that happens all the time, I would figure you would know of some of them.
If I said Trump sues people all the time I could name at least 10 lawsuits in the last 4 years.

It's over involved when a state tries to dictate how a company over 2,000 miles away conducts their business.
I disagree 100%. Since Twitter, Facebook, etc. are in computers of Floridians, day in and day out, Desantis has every bit a purpose to get a handle on this. With the internet, there is no such thing as 2,000 (or any) miles away.

Civil rights act 1965
americans with disabilities act of 1990
Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act of 2009

Make that every 20 years
haha dude those are obvious and well known to anyone with a 8th grade education

there are numerous others created at every level of govt all the time

i am sorry you aren’t familiar and uneducated

For something that happens all the time, I would figure you would know of some of them.
If I said Trump sues people all the time I could name at least 10 lawsuits in the last 4 years.
i don’t have access to all fifty states legal code but geez man...those are pretty famous acts and you didn’t even have a clie!!!

I disagree 100%. Since Twitter, Facebook, etc. are in computers of Floridians, day in and day out, Desantis has every bit a purpose to get a handle on this. With the internet, there is no such thing as 2,000 (or any) miles away.

Legally, the businesses are still based in other states. Twitter, Facebook and other sites are not in computers of Floridians. Floridians have their computers contact the computers in other states.

This is my idea of "all the time"

Mass shootings.

By the end of 2019, there were 417 mass shootings in the U.S., according to data from the nonprofit Gun Violence Archive (GVA), which tracks every mass shooting in the country.

Forum List

Back