🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Follow Sweden

Informative article. Thanks!

I am interested in seeing how they do with this. It could inform policy here if it works--maybe. I notice he mentioned that there definitely are social distancing measures at play in Sweden, but they are apparently "recommendations" instead of "orders." It seems school and businesses, including restaurants, have stayed open and they have only suggested isolation for the at risk population. (That was in a previous article I read). I'd like to know more about what those social distancing measures look like. If anyone has seen such an article, please share.

I'd also like to point out that the reason it might not work in the US is the number of people who are loudly refusing to follow the social distancing Orders that were instituted. Lots of bitching but not a lot of cooperation among some. If the people of Sweden care enough to follow guidelines but the people of the US won't, it's not going to be comparing apples and oranges, is it?

What you failed to realize is that refusing "social distancing orders" is not about refusing social distancing, but about refusing orders.

People, in general, do not like to be subjected to authorities, and any "order" that comes from top to bottom. You notice it yourself, Sweden recommended social distancing, they did not order it.

And second, nobody is responsible for you and your family but yourself. You can't expect from government to do it for you. You don't need government to tell you to wash your hands, or cover your mouth when you sneeze or cough. Those are basics of hygiene, that everyone should practice all the time, not only when there is a virus roaming around.
I'm a Mainer. I know all about not doing well with "Orders." Ask me nice and I'll do my damnedest for you. Order me and I'll resent you and put you on my shit list forever. My first reaction to closing our schools (I'm a teacher) was BULLSHIT WE DON'T NEED TO DO THAT. But I went home with my laptop and have been coping for six weeks now. When the CDC recommended masks I hollered - THAT'S THE FINAL STRAW. FUCK THAT. But now I have two and I am prepared to wear them if it gets me out of this fucking house and back to the classroom and my favorite diner and visiting friends and etc.. etc.

I just needed to calm down and think it over, learn a little something about WHY the orders. And our governor, although she's been strict, knows Mainers and she puts things very very politely and thanks us profusely for staying home and being miserable because she knows we are.

What is happening with all these protesters and sue-ers seems to be that they are getting madder and madder. The underlying reason most of the people on this board are saying they won't follow the Orders or shouldn't follow the Orders is because social distancing is bullshit, this Virus is nothing but a common flu and it's all fabricated, there aren't actually that many dead, etc. etc. THAT is the difference between not liking orders and having an agenda.

Who is feeding this growing denial and growing agitation? It's not just denial, it's destructive. And as this grows, it makes us less and less likely to follow Sweden's path, if the people there are indeed doing it voluntarily.

Last edited:
sweden-infections.jpg

End this nonsense today! The virus is already everywhere and is NOT contained

Coronavirus: Sweden’s per capita death toll tops region amid ‘low-scale’ lockdown

Sweden’s per capita death toll from the coronavirus has climbed higher than its Scandinavian neighbours, prompting questions about its relatively relaxed approach to the global pandemic.

As normally busy parks and cafes are left deserted across Europe, a result of governments’ extraordinary lockdown measures against Covid-19, Sweden has taken a different approach.

The country’s chief epidemiologist, Anders Tegnell has argued for a “low-scale” lockdown which he says is more sustainable in the long-term.

However, Sweden’s per capita death toll is starting to accelerate while its cities remain busy and many businesses stay open.

I couldn't find a graph exactly like yours, but it seems our rise in cases was even more precipitous. Yes, I see their cases are growing. Compared to other countries, though, is it actually worse or perhaps not quite so fast?

1587594728288.png

The rise in cases is due to more testing. Of course, the more you test the more people will be found to have the virus, which most dont even know they have
I couldn't find a graph exactly like yours, but it seems our rise in cases was even more precipitous. Yes, I see their cases are growing. Compared to other countries, though, is it actually worse or perhaps not quite so fast?

View attachment 326745

Wow, why do you score far more deaths per million citizens a win?

United States 4/22/2020 143 deaths per million

Sweden 4/22/2020 190 deaths per million

They SAY it is because the Virus has hit the nursing homes really hard. The author in the OP mentions that heads are gonna roll. I don't know if that's the truth or if they just aren't good at taking care of sick people.

Sadly, our state has the same problem. I imagine with more than 25% of our active cases now in nursing homes, our death toll is going to rise sharply soon.

The rise in cases is due to more testing. Of course, the more you test the more people will be found to have the virus, which most dont even know they have

View attachment 326745
That would be a reassuring thought.

View attachment 326745
That would be a reassuring thought.
Here's a graph that includes the rise in testing in the USA

covid-19-testing.jpg

Could you please quote where I said Sweden is more diligently following social distancing protocols?
"If the people of Sweden care enough to follow guidelines but the people of the US won't, it's not going to be comparing apples and oranges, is it? "
Happy to comply. Let me know if I can be of any more service to you.

And please don't minimize the protests: They've been held in the past week in Washington (state), Wisconsin, Oklahoma, Maine, Texas, Ohio, California and Minnesota and no doubt others. A national organizer says ten more are planned for this week, but many are also being organized at the local level. Other parties are suing the governments.
I've only seen news reports of the two.

You are not being honest here, either about my words or about the facts.
I disagree on both counts. Stop being a stuffed shirt.

Could you please quote where I said Sweden is more diligently following social distancing protocols?
"If the people of Sweden care enough to follow guidelines but the people of the US won't, it's not going to be comparing apples and oranges, is it? "
Happy to comply. Let me know if I can be of any more service to you.

And please don't minimize the protests: They've been held in the past week in Washington (state), Wisconsin, Oklahoma, Maine, Texas, Ohio, California and Minnesota and no doubt others. A national organizer says ten more are planned for this week, but many are also being organized at the local level. Other parties are suing the governments.
I've only seen news reports of the two.

You are not being honest here, either about my words or about the facts.
I disagree on both counts. Stop being a stuffed shirt.
It's not being a "stuffed shirt" to ask for honesty.

Here are the articles where I got my list of additional states. Except Maine, where I live, so I know there was a protest in Augusta on Monday.

Americans are always more likely to protect their rights than the Swedes, which is why Sweden was AWOL
when the Nazis were trying to over run the world.

Also Sweden is doing what we should have been doing all along so what do Swedes have to protest about?

And oh yeah, the NY Times has been Johnny on the spot running down the names of groups that may be involved in these anti lock down protests (now that there is talk the internments may go on and on while the
economy crumbles and being safe from a virus loses all it's meaning).

I didn't notice the Times' thirst for information when astro turf campaigns were built to prop up David Hogg and the teen gun grabbers and Greta Thunberg's environmental children's crusade (speaking of Swedes).

Half of what makes them so oily and putrid is how they selectively report the news to shape public opinion
to their liking. As honest as a nest of rats...the NY Times.

Last edited:
Americans are always more likely to protect their rights than the Swedes, which is why Sweden was AWOL

Also Sweden is doing what we should have been doing all along so what do Swedes have to protest about?

And oh yeah, the NY Times has been Johnny on the spot running down the names of groups that may be involved in these anti lock down protests (now that there is talk the internments may go on and on while the

I didn't notice the Times' thirst for information when astro turf campaigns were built to prop up David Hogg and the teen gun grabbers and Greta Thunberg's environmental children's crusade (speaking of Swedes).

Half of what makes them so oily and putrid is how they selectively report the news to shape public opinion
Jesus Christ! I didn't mean to unleash a diatribe. The NYT didn't MAKE UP the protests. I was just too lazy to look for more articles that listed more states. If MAINE is protesting, probably most everywhere is. You didn't know about the others, so I shared a couple articles. There are things you can actually use the MSM for as a resource, you know. Even if you don't like their politics, they report facts like protests.

Jesus Christ! I didn't mean to unleash a diatribe. The NYT didn't MAKE UP the protests. I was just too lazy to look for more articles that listed more states. If MAINE is protesting, probably most everywhere is. You didn't know about the others, so I shared a couple articles. There are things you can actually use the MSM for as a resource, you know. Even if you don't like their politics, they report facts like protests.
And they report many things out of context intentionally. That’s why everything must be vetted.

Our lockdown strategy in the USA was never about saving lives. It was about promoting fear and panic and crashing the economy.
Without a single legislative move, enormous power and autonomy has been taken away from the people.
And no one even blinked.
Makes you wonder why the Blob was in on it—declaring a national emergency and all. Doesn’t that make you angry?

Forum List

Back