🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Food Stamps: Just say no to sugary soda

The government has taken TRILLIONS from us for things that have helped NO ONE.

At the very least, people who can not afford food deserve to eat nicely when it comes time to get something back from the taxes they've paid into.

I don't agree with the taxes spent on Iraq, and I didn't get a damn thing out of that.

Feeding hungry people is the LEAST of my tax concerns in this country.

I disagree with nothing you said.
However I again say how that tax money is spent is up to lobbyists and congress.
And we are not really entitled to any of it unless some law says we are and even then laws can be changed at any time.

But it's not.

It's up to the people. But the people don't care. They'd rather bitch about it on the internet.

So government does what it wants.

It doesn't have to be like that though. Apparently you've already folded.

Yet, you still vote. That's interesting.

Yes it is up to the people but thru a combination of long term low level brainwashing and just plain stupidity, they do not care. Some go thru the motions like the Tea Partiers, but they are just being led by the powers that be.

Corporations pretty much control America. The people get thrown enough bones to keep them quiet while keeping the meat. btw where do you think all that money we spend on medicare and medicaid winds up?

will this measure save the gvt any money?

the answer is NO....

and since the answer is NO, then why is it any of our business on what someone else drinks?

the answer is NO....

and since the answer is NO, then why is it any of our business on what someone else drinks?

No one is telling them what to eat and drink. It is changing what is covered. If they want soda they are more them free to purchase it with cash.

the answer is NO....

Well that is a point. I do however hate waste with tax monies and sugary stuff usually just winds up costing more tax dollars later for health care and perhaps disabilities, diabetyes, circulation issues etc related to obesity.

But hey it is good for medicare money for the electric cart sellers.

Paulie, Paulie, Paulie..... You may have all the sodas you like. No one is denying you that.

Yeah, unless I'm on food stamps.

Don't fucking patronize me and play a stupid little game.

I'm going to say it again...

If I've paid taxes all my life, and I end up in an unfortunate position where I now need food stamp benefits because I lost a job, then you will dictate my grocery list over my fucking dead body.

It's amazing to me how the elitism shifts sides in this particular debate.

You sound rather entitled, Paulie.

It's a program I'm ok with, tox.

I'll agree with anyone though, that it needs MAJOR reform. And the reform it needs isn't what people can and can't buy. It's how the money is handed out, who it's handed out to, and who is ultimately benefiting from it.

I've said all along that I'd prefer the government ration actual food that it produces instead of handing out CASH.

But as long as it's going to be cash, which ultimately lines the pockets of Big Food, then I'm ok with people eating whatever.

If I've paid taxes all my life, and I end up in an unfortunate position where I now need food stamp benefits because I lost a job, then you will dictate my grocery list over my fucking dead body.

It's interesting that when you think of this issue, you focus on how YOU would feel if you were given food stamps and you were restricted in your choices...because of all the taxes you've paid in your life, you are entitled to have whatever you want to buy.

I think of it as with all the taxes that I currently pay, I don't want that money being used by a mother to purchase Pepsi to put into her toddler's sippy cup.

This might be a good reason, among others:

The cost of obesity among U.S. full-time employees is estimated to be $73.1 billion, according to a new study by a Duke University obesity researcher, published in the Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine.

This is the first study to quantify the total value of lost job productivity as a result of health problems, which it finds is more costly than medical expenditures.

Collectively, the per capita costs of obesity are as high as $16,900 for obese women with a body mass index (BMI) over 40 (roughly 100 pounds overweight) and $15,500 for obese men in the same BMI class. Presenteeism makes up the largest share of those costs.

Obese workers cost workplace more than insurance, absenteeism, according to new study

I'll agree with anyone though, that it needs MAJOR reform. And the reform it needs isn't what people can and can't buy. It's how the money is handed out, who it's handed out to, and who is ultimately benefiting from it.

I've said all along that I'd prefer the government ration actual food that it produces instead of handing out CASH.

But as long as it's going to be cash, which ultimately lines the pockets of Big Food, then I'm ok with people eating whatever.

What is Big Food? And why can't Big Food be restricted?

Why can't food stamps cover fruits, vegetable, low-sugar cereal, meat from the butcher, milk, juice?

Why does it have to be used for junk food, just so people don't have to spend their cigarette money to pay for crap?

Yep back to commodities.

So your saying you would rather them take the debit card away and go back to tickets?

So your saying you would rather them take the debit card away and go back to tickets?

Nope give out food.
That is the way it started out.

It's interesting that when you think of this issue, you focus on how YOU would feel if you were given food stamps and you were restricted in your choices...because of all the taxes you've paid in your life, you are entitled to have whatever you want to buy.

I think of it as with all the taxes that I currently pay, I don't want that money being used by a mother to purchase Pepsi to put into her toddler's sippy cup.

I don't feel that I should be punished in some way because someone else is irresponsible. I'm responsible with my spending and my diet. So yeah, you could say that because of that, and the fact that it's my tax dollars as well, I feel a bit entitled when it comes to this issue.

Why should we have to err on the side of not having nice things? I'm sure there are just as many responsible beneficiaries as irresponsible ones.

the answer is NO....

No one is telling them what to eat and drink. It is changing what is covered. If they want soda they are more them free to purchase it with cash.

:lol::lol::lol:

gawd, you have a lot of balls to post that spin and then come back here. :lol::lol::lol:

They are telling them they cannot eat the food and drink paid for with the funds. If the funds are all they have for food.... :cuckoo:

Of course they can always beg for soda. :lol:

This might be a good reason, among others:

The cost of obesity among U.S. full-time employees is estimated to be $73.1 billion, according to a new study by a Duke University obesity researcher, published in the Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine.

This is the first study to quantify the total value of lost job productivity as a result of health problems, which it finds is more costly than medical expenditures.

Collectively, the per capita costs of obesity are as high as $16,900 for obese women with a body mass index (BMI) over 40 (roughly 100 pounds overweight) and $15,500 for obese men in the same BMI class. Presenteeism makes up the largest share of those costs.

Obese workers cost workplace more than insurance, absenteeism, according to new study

hmmmm....are all those ''workers'' on food stamps?

but why weren't we all obese when i was a kid and soda was avail to all of us?

and are you implying that we need our government to help out businesses by putting this soda restriction in as law?

i still say it is an absolute OVER REACH by our gvt.

The tickets were just in lieu of actual cash. It was fundamentally the same as using a card. It's just on a card now because that's where we've progressed in technology.

I said "actual food that the government produces".

the answer is NO....

:lol::lol::lol:

gawd, you have a lot of balls to post that spin and then come back here. :lol::lol::lol:

They are telling them they cannot eat the food and drink paid for with the funds. If the funds are all they have for food.... :cuckoo:

Of course they can always beg for soda. :lol:

Yep if they are stupid enough to beg for soda. It is not food and does very little in the way of nutrition.

Where do you live that people on food stamps get CASH?

People on this kind of assistance do not get cash, they do not get a check, they don't even get "food stamps." They get a little card that looks/works like a credit/debit card with a preset limit that they can use to buy food. This keeps the cashier from being able to give change in cash that would then allow them to go out with that change and buy things that are already not allowed with "food stamps."

You see, even though you claim that people on food stamps are allowed to purchase whatever they want, you are wrong. They cannot for instance go out and buy cigarettes or alcohol with their food stamp card. And yes, there are other things that are not allowed.

Rick

The tickets were just in lieu of actual cash. It was fundamentally the same as using a card. It's just on a card now because that's where we've progressed in technology.

our government actually pays farmers to NOT grow food instead....

just crazy!

our government actually pays farmers to NOT grow food instead....

just crazy!

Yeah, and then hands us out cash on a debit card to go buy food so that grocery chains can line their pockets with the expenditures.

But we're sitting here arguing about fucking SODA :rolleyes:

Forum List

Back