🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Fort Worth Mayor Apologizes For Police Shooting; Officer Resigns

Fort Worth shooting: Officers weren't asked to do a wellness check. Here's how it changed things - CNN
(CNN)When Atatiana Jefferson's neighbor called police, he says he expected them to go check to see if she was OK.

But the officer who shot her in her own home was sent on a call that police often handle as a potential burglary.
Authorities are looking into what former Fort Worth police officer Aaron Dean and his partner were told before arriving to Jefferson's home.
"The information came from the neighbor to the call-takers and while it was relayed to the dispatch, it was determined to be an open structure call," Fort Worth interim Police Chief Ed Kraus told reporters on Tuesday.
dude save your dbl standard bullshit,,the only reason you are on the cops side is because the victim is black,,,

Damn at least you showed up, but I notice you don't call it out as racism though.

Sorry, we don't know its racism. I need actual evidence to make that leap. The cop put himself in a bad position where his options were limited and then the worst possible chain of events happened.
Nobody's gonna want to take the job anymore. The consequences will destroy your life. Mistakes arent permitted if you're a cop.

I sure wouldn't want to be a cop and when it comes to the majority of them, they have my respect for what they have to do, however maybe some of their procedures or training need be revised.
training and procedures should always be under review. Doesn't change scenarios however. They have every right to defend themselves when a gun is pointed at them. If you feel differently, explain why?

Why do people assume cops should assume black women aren't armed criminals?

Is it so hard to admit this cop screwed up?, you seem to make the loss of a life here of minimal consequence because the woman is black. The woman did nothing wrong by reaching for a gun when she heard a noise in her back yard. for her own sake she could have been smarter about not making herself a target, but she did nothing criminal.
I personally don't want to live in a militarized police state where civilians are seen as guilty before proven innocent and that their personal homes are the domain of the State. As a homeowner ( if you own property) You have every right to defend your home from an intruder with a fire arm, and you should not have to worry about police shooting you while doing it. The cop did not give himself enough time to assess the situation and Its an obvious fact because the woman is dead. They had no reason to rush into the situation and what the cop did by moving around the side of the building was lessen his own options. He actually made it harder to identify who it was inside the house than if he did it the right way. So yes he screwed up, and if he was sent on the wrong kind of call then dispatch screwed up or maybe police need to rethink the way police are sent out on residential calls

Blaming the victim for leaving her door open? you really think so? Hey well they were playing video games in the back room, and most likely she or the 8 year old just forgot to close it.
You know, worse things have happened like someone playing games on their phone while their baby is dying in a hot car, because they forgot their baby is in the back seat... who does that? So you know, yes sometimes people can forget to close their front door but its not "Asking For It".
how did he screw up?

he murdered an innocent women in her own home,,,
nope. you're wrong. An innocent woman was accidentally shot. again, a court will see it that way. I don't give a fk what you think.

sorry but his shot was well trained and deliberate ,,,not an accident,,
that's how they're trained to hit middle mass. didn't you know that? So he's a good shot. doesn't make it murder, only a tragic killing that was unnecessary had the neighbor not called for the check.

I just said it was well trained and deliberate,,so WTF
yes it would have turned out very different if he wasnt there,,,that seems to be happening a lot more lately,,,call the cops and they kill you for it,,,

Police should just stop responding to calls from those hood rat nests. Let them call Al Sharpton or Black Lives Suck or somebody instead.

So black people may wish for that to happen

But the consequences for black people would be devastating

Apparently they're fine with being killed by black people, and only seem to snivel when a white cop is involved, so obviously it makes little sense for any cops to set themselves up for lawsuits and criminal charges every time some hood rat wins a Darwin Award, and also makes no sense for city governments to let themselves get looted by the latest hood rat industry, baiting cops and getting rich. In an atmosphere where a major political Party is supporting 'racial replacement agendas and advocating assassinations of police officers, just don't expect much in the way those Super Cops Hollywood shows on TV are full of to rush to join police forces. They make their own beds, let them wallow in them. The black middle class doesn't give a shit, they just use hood rats as hostages to extort bennies for themselves, so they've been devastating themselves for decades.

Who leaves the front doors wide open at 2 a.m. in a thug infested shithole? Why didn't her neighbors check it out themselves first? Lots of questions here, but creating a charged atmosphere that is the main contributor here; blame the scum running around wearing 'Kill The Pigs' socks and hiring BLM scum to teach college classes advocating killing cops. Why do people assume cops should assume black women aren't armed criminals? That is particularly stupid.

Is it so hard to admit this cop screwed up?, you seem to make the loss of a life here of minimal consequence because the woman is black. The woman did nothing wrong by reaching for a gun when she heard a noise in her back yard. for her own sake she could have been smarter about not making herself a target, but she did nothing criminal.
I personally don't want to live in a militarized police state where civilians are seen as guilty before proven innocent and that their personal homes are the domain of the State. As a homeowner ( if you own property) You have every right to defend your home from an intruder with a fire arm, and you should not have to worry about police shooting you while doing it. The cop did not give himself enough time to assess the situation and Its an obvious fact because the woman is dead. They had no reason to rush into the situation and what the cop did by moving around the side of the building was lessen his own options. He actually made it harder to identify who it was inside the house than if he did it the right way. So yes he screwed up, and if he was sent on the wrong kind of call then dispatch screwed up or maybe police need to rethink the way police are sent out on residential calls

Blaming the victim for leaving her door open? you really think so? Hey well they were playing video games in the back room, and most likely she or the 8 year old just forgot to close it.
You know, worse things have happened like someone playing games on their phone while their baby is dying in a hot car, because they forgot their baby is in the back seat... who does that? So you know, yes sometimes people can forget to close their front door but its not "Asking For It".
how did he screw up?

again... there needs to be an investigation to see if the cop was sent out on the right type of call and if he knew any reason why he was there in the first place.
But assuming he was there on a welfare check especially or even an open structure call.... what was their rush? why rush when they have to think there might be "innocent" residents inside? Why not consider someone did just forget to close their door? why not consider someone inside might need medical attention? WHY ONLY go in with the thought of a burglar or intruder? The cops in this story had complete control of the situation, the front door was open and the lights were on giving them a clear view back into the house... so who is going to sneak up on them there? If they weren't sure then call for backup and have someone else watch the side of the house while they went in the front. Why rush the situation? no one was going anywhere and yes, calling inside would have been the correct thing to do...at least wait for back up. There should be the reasonable assumption by police that someones home is just that.... it wasn't a bank or jewelry store with the front door left open.
rush? wtf are you talking about? the cop was there on an open structure call and saw someone point a gun at him. What was the rush? He defended himself? weak.

He wasn't near the front door, was in the dark outside. wtf is wrong with fkwads? omg, you have no common sense. fk.

Holy shit! watch the video again. They walked right by the open front door and walked around the side into the dark. Thats the point. And yes, he defended himself because he put himself needlessly into a bad situation. I bet if you were to ask that officer today, he would admit he screwed up.

Apparently they're fine with being killed by black people, and only seem to snivel when a white cop is involved, so obviously it makes little sense for any cops to set themselves up for lawsuits and criminal charges every time some hood rat wins a Darwin Award, and also makes no sense for city governments to let themselves get looted by the latest hood rat industry, baiting cops and getting rich. In an atmosphere where a major political Party is supporting 'racial replacement agendas and advocating assassinations of police officers, just don't expect much in the way those Super Cops Hollywood shows on TV are full of to rush to join police forces. They make their own beds, let them wallow in them. The black middle class doesn't give a shit, they just use hood rats as hostages to extort bennies for themselves, so they've been devastating themselves for decades.

Who leaves the front doors wide open at 2 a.m. in a thug infested shithole? Why didn't her neighbors check it out themselves first? Lots of questions here, but creating a charged atmosphere that is the main contributor here; blame the scum running around wearing 'Kill The Pigs' socks and hiring BLM scum to teach college classes advocating killing cops. Why do people assume cops should assume black women aren't armed criminals? That is particularly stupid.

how did he screw up?

again... there needs to be an investigation to see if the cop was sent out on the right type of call and if he knew any reason why he was there in the first place.
But assuming he was there on a welfare check especially or even an open structure call.... what was their rush? why rush when they have to think there might be "innocent" residents inside? Why not consider someone did just forget to close their door? why not consider someone inside might need medical attention? WHY ONLY go in with the thought of a burglar or intruder? The cops in this story had complete control of the situation, the front door was open and the lights were on giving them a clear view back into the house... so who is going to sneak up on them there? If they weren't sure then call for backup and have someone else watch the side of the house while they went in the front. Why rush the situation? no one was going anywhere and yes, calling inside would have been the correct thing to do...at least wait for back up. There should be the reasonable assumption by police that someones home is just that.... it wasn't a bank or jewelry store with the front door left open.
rush? wtf are you talking about? the cop was there on an open structure call and saw someone point a gun at him. What was the rush? He defended himself? weak.

He wasn't near the front door, was in the dark outside. wtf is wrong with fkwads? omg, you have no common sense. fk.

or you just dont care because the victim was black and not white,,,
cause you opinion is very different when that happens
Now comes the race baiting...predictable.

dude save your dbl standard bullshit,,the only reason you are on the cops side is because the victim is black,,,

Damn at least you showed up, but I notice you don't call it out as racism though.

Sorry, we don't know its racism. I need actual evidence to make that leap. The cop put himself in a bad position where his options were limited and then the worst possible chain of events happened.
Nobody's gonna want to take the job anymore. The consequences will destroy your life. Mistakes arent permitted if you're a cop.

I sure wouldn't want to be a cop and when it comes to the majority of them, they have my respect for what they have to do, however maybe some of their procedures or training need be revised.
training and procedures should always be under review. Doesn't change scenarios however. They have every right to defend themselves when a gun is pointed at them. If you feel differently, explain why?

I think this has already been explained so many times. YES a cop has the right to defend himself when a gun is pointed at him. So does anyone including a home owner when a cop goes onto your private property late at night without identifying himself. Again. The cop put himself into a situation where he had to communicate through a window pane at night. He could see the lights on in the house. HE NEEDS to consider there are possibly innocent people inside going about their everyday life.. WHICH WAS THE CASE. Yes, the woman did nothing fucking wrong, you cant get around that fact. but she is dead which means someone screwed up.. so who would that be?

My common sense tells me what I would have done as a cop... yes. I would be concerned for my own safety, but seeing that this looks like a lived in residence, and most families are home at 2 in the morning... I am going to keep it foremost in my mind that I do'nt want to make a mistake and shoot an innocent person..... maybe that means i take a few more minutes to identify who is in the house before i get myself into a standoff situation.
But you know, I'm really not a cop. so I'd like to hear what EX cops or active on USMB would have done in this situation.

I think this has already been explained so many times. YES a cop has the right to defend himself when a gun is pointed at him. So does anyone including a home owner when a cop goes onto your private property late at night without identifying himself. Again. The cop put himself into a situation where he had to communicate through a window pane at night. He could see the lights on in the house. HE NEEDS to consider there are possibly innocent people inside going about their everyday life.. WHICH WAS THE CASE. Yes, the woman did nothing fucking wrong, you cant get around that fact. but she is dead which means someone screwed up.. so who would that be?

My common sense tells me what I would have done as a cop... yes. I would be concerned for my own safety, but seeing that this looks like a lived in residence, and most families are home at 2 in the morning... I am going to keep it foremost in my mind that I do'nt want to make a mistake and shoot an innocent person..... maybe that means i take a few more minutes to identify who is in the house before i get myself into a standoff situation.
But you know, I'm really not a cop. so I'd like to hear what EX cops or active on USMB would have done in this situation.
Also, when you're indoors, with the lights on at 2:30 in the morning, you can't see a thing outside a dark window. Cant blame the woman either for grabbing a gun when someone's prowling around on your property at 2:30.

...what?? so you are called to a possible robbery --someone aims a firearm at you and you DON'T defend yourself??
Since he didn't identify himself as a cop, she had every right to do that. He didn't have to shoot. He's outside the house and could have easily taken cover.
easy for you do say sitting behind a computer drinking coffee...
..in a lot of these incidents everyone crying and saying he should've done this or that, would've done the SAME thing
...if someone pointed a firearm at you, you would not defend yourself???!!!
It's not defense when you ignore protocol and murder an innocent person in their own home who is aiming s gun at you due to your own negligent actions.
...you don't understand or did not read my posts
.....it was an open structure dispatch - --possible burglary with a burglar-- call, not a welfare check....the police do not go the front door and knock ''hey Mr Burglar, we're here--you can run now'''
A police call sheet on Saturday labeled the call as a “burglary.” A written statement released by police on Saturday afternoon referred to the dispatch as an “open structure” call.
https://www.star-telegram.com/news/local/fort-worth/article236163388.html

they never said burglary,,,stop lying,,,
jesus f christ--I even put it in BIG BOLD letters
get some glasses please
it's right there in the link and my post!!!!!!!!!!!!
'''''A police call sheet on Saturday labeled the call as a “burglary.” A written statement released by police on Saturday afternoon referred to the dispatch as an “open structure” call'''
it's the title of the link!!!!!!!
Officer in shooting acted as if responding to burglary, not welfare check, expert says

you don't see the word'' burglary''..??????!!!!!!!!

Also, when you're indoors, with the lights on at 2:30 in the morning, you can't see a thing outside a dark window. Cant blame the woman either for grabbing a gun when someone's prowling around on your property at 2:30.

Yes. also both of the residents cars were parked in the driveway which would indicate people home, kids toys on the floor. After thinking about this for some time, I'm starting to think that the cop being no more than a rookie was too obsessed with the thought of an intruder, when all these other clues were around, sort of like having tunnel vision... i have to wonder now who the other officer was and if he was more experienced, why was this other guy taking the lead? We have no evidence this cop was a bad guy, racist or anything like that but the mistakes are pretty obvious.

...what?? so you are called to a possible robbery --someone aims a firearm at you and you DON'T defend yourself??
Since he didn't identify himself as a cop, she had every right to do that. He didn't have to shoot. He's outside the house and could have easily taken cover.
..in a lot of these incidents everyone crying and saying he should've done this or that, would've done the SAME thing
It's not defense when you ignore protocol and murder an innocent person in their own home who is aiming s gun at you due to your own negligent actions.
.....it was an open structure dispatch - --possible burglary with a burglar-- call, not a welfare check....the police do not go the front door and knock ''hey Mr Burglar, we're here--you can run now'''
A police call sheet on Saturday labeled the call as a “burglary.” A written statement released by police on Saturday afternoon referred to the d
ispatch as an “open structure” call.
That was on the call sheet. There's no evidence of yet the officers responding to the call were told it was a burglary call. And it's been reported the officers thought they were on an open structure call. And the neighbor called the non-emergency line.
use some brains please--open structure = possible burglary
The Fort Worth Star-Telegram gives more context: Though the department continues to note that officers thought they were responding to an "open structure call," a police call sheet reportedly showed that the call was labeled a burglary. Mike Benza, a law professor at Case Western Reserve University, observed to the Star-Telegram that officers typically respond quite differently to a burglary than to a welfare check.
that's why they were OUTSIDE!!
you are also blind

A police call sheet on Saturday labeled the call as a “burglary.” A written statement released by police on Saturday afternoon referred to the dispatch as an “open structure” call.

get some glasses please
'''''A police call sheet on Saturday labeled the call as a “burglary.” A written statement released by police on Saturday afternoon referred to the dispatch as an “open structure” call'''
Officer in shooting acted as if responding to burglary, not welfare check, expert says

Hey well, I don't think anyone is saying there should not be an investigation or trial, I for one am not calling to hang the guy, But we can see he screwed up and shot a woman who was not a burglar. Now the reason for the mistake?
so why was he sent on a Open structure call when the neighbor was calling about a simple door left open by a neighbor? How did the police get that wrong? that cant be glossed over with an "oh well.. clerical error. someone dead.. so sorry" ..
And still... IMHO..... seeing that the lights were on, cars in the driveway, kids toys on the floor, the cop needed to act with more caution. Possibly it has something to do with his lack of experience and jumpyness.

whites usu
Racist white right winger chiming in. Even though black people are a scourge on this nation I still don't think its ok for a cop to go and shoot a lady minding her own business in her own home.

Thxs racist, right winger, here is a tidbit for you. Racist, right wingers are a scourge on this nation and always have been.

If black people would knock it the fuck off with their 50% of all violent crime bullshit, we wouldn't have paranoid cops.

Funny how they are not paranoid with the other 50% that whites are committing.
..whites usually don't burn/riot/loot/ when dangerous jackass criminals are justifiably shot---like blacks do

When whites do it, it is called a celebration, generally after winning a Super Bowl or Stanley Cup.
idiocy--thank you
whites do not LOVE criminals like blacks do

get some glasses please

Hey well, I don't think anyone is saying there should not be an investigation or trial, I for one am not calling to hang the guy, But we can see he screwed up and shot a woman who was not a burglar. Now the reason for the mistake?
so why was he sent on a Open structure call when the neighbor was calling about a simple door left open by a neighbor? How did the police get that wrong? that cant be glossed over with an "oh well.. clerical error. someone dead.. so sorry" ..
And still... IMHO..... seeing that the lights were on, cars in the driveway, kids toys on the floor, the cop needed to act with more caution. Possibly it has something to do with his lack of experience and jumpyness.
open door---open structure...they are thinking someone broke in --very easy

get some glasses please

....most people know communication between humans is far from perfect--no matter how much training/policy/etc

get some glasses please

Right, but a break in was never reported by the neighbor. So how did the police department screw that up? That needs to be a serious investigation and however this turns out, you cant get away from the fact an innocent person was killed. No doubt these procedures vary from department to department but on the face of it here it seems they are seriously lacking.

whites usu
Thxs racist, right winger, here is a tidbit for you. Racist, right wingers are a scourge on this nation and always have been.

If black people would knock it the fuck off with their 50% of all violent crime bullshit, we wouldn't have paranoid cops.

..whites usually don't burn/riot/loot/ when dangerous jackass criminals are justifiably shot---like blacks do

When whites do it, it is called a celebration, generally after winning a Super Bowl or Stanley Cup.
idiocy--thank you

Then quit defending the criminal cop. He is the one up on murder charges.

Even if the officer was called in on an open structure call, watching the body cam footage, he fired his weapon as he was giving the last word of the command, which meant that she had no time to comply.

Combine that with the fact that he didn't identify himself as an officer, well, he screwed up in a big way and needs to be held accountable. Manslaughter at the least, murder if they can get it.

whites usu

idiocy--thank you

Then quit defending the criminal cop. He is the one up on murder charges.
..you also must be brainwashed by hate/racism/something
please read my posts--I'm not defending him--stop the stupidshit
.. point is most people do not think in realistic terms--they think everything is like a movie or TV show
...he didn't murder her ..he didn't go there to kill a BLACK person
he should get about 10 years like the cop lady got

get some glasses please

Right, but a break in was never reported by the neighbor. So how did the police department screw that up? That needs to be a serious investigation and however this turns out, you cant get away from the fact an innocent person was killed. No doubt these procedures vary from department to department but on the face of it here it seems they are seriously lacking.
..seems easy and understandable how it could be dispatched as either--odd that the door was open at that time of night [230 AM! ]
Ms. Jefferson’s house had been open for several hours.
bold mine
etc
...so, the cops [anyone with common sense and/or a sense of security ] would approach the situation with the thought that there is possible danger
...we were taught in responding to an incapacitated person to first look for the danger that caused the problem
....better to approach with caution....yes?

Even if the officer was called in on an open structure call, watching the body cam footage, he fired his weapon as he was giving the last word of the command, which meant that she had no time to comply.

Combine that with the fact that he didn't identify himself as an officer, well, he screwed up in a big way and needs to be held accountable. Manslaughter at the least, murder if they can get it.
ok--read my other post
..if YOU were giving a command to someone and they pulled out a weapon and aimed it at you, would you continue giving commands?

it's not murder

Forum List

Back