Francis Keys bridge hit by ship. Bridge collapses, mass casualty event.

lol 'one in a trillion', eh?

It happens all the time. That's because it's stupid to build big bridges over major port traffic.

And how many transits by ships under all existing bridges during that time period?

The whole reason for a bridge is to allow ship traffic in these cases.

Let me ask those who know
The lights go out so boat is drifting and they take measures because they thought they would continue to drift? But, power comes back on and thats when rear starts sliding and front turns toward bridge? With power back on they get some speed and power goes out again but now they are drifting right toward bridge and can’t stop nor turn ?

Not sure if they got full power back or just the emergency power came on.

Still need more information. What does emergency power actually provide power to?

The lights go out so boat is drifting and they take measures because they thought they would continue to drift? But, power comes back on and thats when rear starts sliding and front turns toward bridge? With power back on they get some speed and power goes out again but now they are drifting right toward bridge and can’t stop nor turn ?

Not sure, but the "power" could have been an emergency generator kicking on for a few seconds providing electricity.

That doesn't mean that the engine came back online to turn the propeller for steerage.

WW

And how many transits by ships under all existing bridges during that time period?

The whole reason for a bridge is to allow ship traffic in these cases.
How many hits by a giant container ship did it take to bring that bridge down?

That mofo is a nightmare. Once they built the MM it was worth the extra mileage to avoid the HRBT, but now it’s as bad. I sat in HRBT traffic moving less than a mile over an hour just a few days ago. Most locals I know avoid it as much as possible especially in the summer.
The 2 tunnel systems in downtown Baltimore are the same way. Bumper to bumper traffic going nowhere in a hurry, with it completely stopping more often than not. When there's an accident in them, you can forget going anywhere for a couple hours. I've been stuck in them a few times because of that. You can't back out, can't go around, you're just "there" and wondering at times if you'll get out alive.

One of my coworkers texted me yesterday morning to check on me. I was already in shock from the bridge collapsing when he mentioned it could have been me on it at that time of the morning if my brickmason sub was ready to mobilize at a project site in DC. I've been on this guy's ass for the past 3 weeks trying to get him on site because he's holding up the job. He was in Vegas last weekend for March Madness and called me earlier today to let me know he'll be out there some time tomorrow to measure and do takeoff's... and here I was pushing him to get his crew together.

Why?

The harbor will not be blocked/closed for a time frame measured in years, that's how long it may take to redesign and rebuild.

It will take a much shorter amount of time to get lift crane barges in place to clear the debris and open the shipping channel back up. Probably a time frame measured days to get the barges in place, and 2-4 weeks to clear a channel. Once the debris is removed the port is open for business.

WW
It’s 8th in Nation so this should not be a country wide issues for a lot of products

Have you ever captained a boat even a small one. Just trying to establish a base line reference point

Not sure if they got full power back or just the emergency power came on.

Still need more information. What does emergency power actually provide power to?

Not sure specifically in this case, but having been to sea on major ships...

I could see and emergency generator supplying:
  • Emergency interior lights
  • Exterior ships lighting (so other ships can see it and it would be just a black whole in the night)
  • Probably Fire Control monitoring systems and suppression systems
  • And of course Bridge operations including communication systems
But I was an aviation type, not ships maintenance.

WW

It’s 8th in Nation so this should not be a country wide issues for a lot of products

Any excuse for price gouging is valid in the business ethics as practiced in the U.S. It's a major reason why we're going to be a banana republic soon.

The ship never regained power. The lights that came on right before it hit the bridge are from the emergency generator kicking in. The engine never recovered. The ship drifted at an angle when the anchor was dropped. The wind and current played into that. They had no steering, no rudder control, no thrusters/propulsion due to the engine being dead. Basically, they were at God's mercy.

The 2 tunnel systems in downtown Baltimore are the same way. Bumper to bumper traffic going nowhere in a hurry, with it completely stopping more often than not. When there's an accident in them, you can forget going anywhere for a couple hours. I've been stuck in them a few times because of that. You can't back out, can't go around, you're just "there" and wondering at times if you'll get out alive.

One of my coworkers texted me yesterday morning to check on me. I was already in shock from the bridge collapsing when he mentioned it could have been me on it at that time of the morning if my brickmason sub was ready to mobilize at a project site in DC. I've been on this guy's ass for the past 3 weeks trying to get him on site because he's holding up the job. He was in Vegas last weekend for March Madness and called me earlier today to let me know he'll be out there some time tomorrow to measure and do takeoff's... and here I was pushing him to get his crew together.
My wife used to cross that bridge a few times a week taking loads in and out. She was given a new route keeping her closer to home start of the year. It really rattled her cage thinking what could have been.

Forum List

Back