Does the press have a responsibility to hide some information?

• Total voters
Just playing "Devils Advocate" here: isn't the government's responsibility to keep their people/information secret? If the press is able to learn of that classified information, shouldn't they report it?

As a general rule, of course. There are exceptions. Should the media report the names and locations of our spies? The press has a responsibility to the public, but it also has a responsibility to the country. Note that I said the country, and not any particular party or person.

If the press felt like it had any responsibility it would not lead us into bogus colonial wars of aggression, but it was bought up by corporate interests. Bezos bought up the Wall Street Journal but has a deal with the CIA worth more than 3 times what he paid for the paper. Our "free press" is a tool of control.

I'm unaware of that but I would be interested in learning more about it. You got a link or two to help me get started?

Anyone really interested in confronting the illusion of america can find links by performing searches. That is what the internet is for, even though it is repeatedly scrubbed by the corporate authoritarians of uncomfortable information the masses may learn of. May not be your intent here, but typically all anyone really is after when they ask for a link is to hurl partisanshithead accusations of "fake" or "false" based upon the source of the link ---- which should always be triangulated by the coherent observer anyway. No link is ever anything more than a place to start for those genuinely interested in objective critical reality.

WashPost Owner Secretly Doing Business With the CIA

Trump Leak Now Points To Bezos' Hidden $600M Deal With Obama CIA To Feed Washington Post - Conservative Daily Post

You can't really call alt Right sites that are well known for lies a valid place to start.
See? That's whaty I was talking about. Ok then, nevermind, don't bother to research. You asked for a place to start and you don't want to start at all. You just wanted to label a source and remain ignorant. Right on cue.

Jimmy Dore on Twitter

As a general rule, of course. There are exceptions. Should the media report the names and locations of our spies? The press has a responsibility to the public, but it also has a responsibility to the country. Note that I said the country, and not any particular party or person.

If the press felt like it had any responsibility it would not lead us into bogus colonial wars of aggression, but it was bought up by corporate interests. Bezos bought up the Wall Street Journal but has a deal with the CIA worth more than 3 times what he paid for the paper. Our "free press" is a tool of control.

I'm unaware of that but I would be interested in learning more about it. You got a link or two to help me get started?

Anyone really interested in confronting the illusion of america can find links by performing searches. That is what the internet is for, even though it is repeatedly scrubbed by the corporate authoritarians of uncomfortable information the masses may learn of. May not be your intent here, but typically all anyone really is after when they ask for a link is to hurl partisanshithead accusations of "fake" or "false" based upon the source of the link ---- which should always be triangulated by the coherent observer anyway. No link is ever anything more than a place to start for those genuinely interested in objective critical reality.

Trump Leak Now Points To Bezos' Hidden $600M Deal With Obama CIA To Feed Washington Post - Conservative Daily Post

You can't really call alt Right sites that are well known for lies a valid place to start.
And you can't really call your response an interest in learning. A simple search will give multiple sources that help establish the validity of the story.
amazon web services cia - Google Search

This is the problem with american society, this is why it cannot self correct, this is why we are destined to live under an authoritarian colonial style wealth extraction paradigm.

The problem is not the power structure, it does what power always does; whatever it is allowed to.

The problem with america is the people, the public who passively cooperates and participates in their own subjugation.

See? That's whaty I was talking about. Ok then, nevermind, don't bother to research. You asked for a place to start and you don't want to start at all. You just wanted to label a source and remain ignorant. Right on cue.
Help me to understand why this is even an issue? So the C.I.A. contracted with Amazon for cloud services? Do you have any idea how many government contracts Microsoft has with the government? Blackberry has had quite a few as well. The government needs technology, you know.

Help me to understand why this is even an issue? So the C.I.A. contracted with Amazon for cloud services? Do you have any idea how many government contracts Microsoft has with the government? Blackberry has had quite a few as well. The government needs technology, you know.

Bezos also ownes the Washington Post who never saw a war it didn't urge america into, and the Washington Post has never alerted readers to the connection when it does so. For starters.

Washington Post Gives Editorial Page To CIA Warmonger

Oligarchy. Feudalism. Endless war for profit on the backs of the people to benefit the substantial people.

Bezos also ownes the Washington Post who never saw a war it didn't urge america into, and the Washington Post has never alerted readers to the connection when it does so. For starters.

Oligarchy. Feudalism. Endless war for profit on the backs of the people to benefit the substantial people.
From my perspective - this is not an issue on any level.

1. Bezos owns the Washington Post - he doesn't run it. I highly doubt he's ever stepped foot in a single editorial meeting. He doesn't dictate content.

2. Even if the Washington Post "urges America into war" - so what? They don't make that decision. The President of the United States does (while Congress, constitutionally, should). The opinion of the Washington Post has no bearing on reality. Now - if you can prove that they are intentionally posting misinformation to get us into a war - that's a different story. But just giving their opinions in Editorial pieces is irrelevant.

3. The Washington Post has no responsibility to tell everyone of obscure "Kevin Bacon 6-steps from everyone" connections. Bezos bought them. He also owns Amazon which provides cloud services to millions of customers (including government). Big deal. And it's no secret.

Jimmy Dore on Twitter

Oh my. Some crazy spouts tinfoil has conspiracy theories and wants to blame his imagined "deep state" for his delusions, and right on cue the brain dead president who believes crap he hears on fox above what our investigative agencies tell him repeats those same conspiracy theories. I wish I could say this was surprising.

1. Bezos owns the Washington Post - he doesn't run it. I highly doubt he's ever stepped foot in a single editorial meeting. He doesn't dictate content.

2. Even if the Washington Post "urges America into war" - so what? They don't make that decision. The President of the United States does (while Congress, constitutionally, should). The opinion of the Washington Post has no bearing on reality. Now - if you can prove that they are intentionally posting misinformation to get us into a war - that's a different story. But just giving their opinions in Editorial pieces is irrelevant.

3. The Washington Post has no responsibility to tell everyone of obscure "Kevin Bacon 6-steps from everyone" connections. Bezos bought them. He also owns Amazon which provides cloud services to millions of customers (including government). Big deal. And it's no secret.

I think Bezos is the guy who declared publicly that he was sending his team of reporters out to dig up dirt to bury Trump and none to dig up dirt on Hillary, no?

An interesting issue. On the one hand, freedom of the press is critical and the New York Times is in the business of press - not National Security. On the other hand, the NY Times just revealed the identity of an operative - essentially providing a national security secret to our enemies. At best, it is unpatriotic. At worst, it could be construed as "treason".

What say you, USMB community? Should the press reveal anything that it learns or do they have some sort of responsibility to protect certain information?

NY Times explains why they published name of undercover CIA agent — it does not go over well
Great topic and one that's been on my mind a lot lately. I respect the freedom of the press and think they play a huge role in uncovering and communicating information to the people. Problem in today's world is there is a tremendous lack of respect for privacy and ediquitte which is a major problem. Ironically I jut watched a documentary on princess Diana and it turned my stomach to see how aggressive and persistent the press was with her and her family. Even led to her death... very sad.

My position as of now is that we need to respect the freedom of the press and not cross the line of injecting government control. But I'd also like to see an increase in accountability. Perhaps ratings for shows and reporters that reflect accuracy in their reporting. Perhaps mandatory public apologies or rebuttals for any fake news reported on the front page or opening of each TV show for any outlet that is being advertised as a news source. Otherwise they should be labeled as entertainment news.

I think Bezos is the guy who declared publicly that he was sending his team of reporters out to dig up dirt to bury Trump and none to dig up dirt on Hillary, no?
And if that is the case - then that is a reason to have issue with him. But not because he owns two businesses and one of them legitimately holds government contracts.

Sure pard, sure. The press has nothing do do with america going to war.

They'll be moaning about "fake news" out the other side of their mouths any minute now.

They'll be moaning about "fake news" out the other side of their mouths any minute now.

Is it OK for the press to choose sides and actively hype up some news and suppress other news according to their owner's political leanings?

That is not free press. That is propaganda.

Is it OK for the press to choose sides and actively hype up some news and suppress other news according to their owner's political leanings?

Bill Clinton deregulated the FCC. There were 50 some odd companies in the US media machinery back in the 1980s. Now 6 multinational cprporations control ~90% of what americans see, hear, and read; and since americans are such lazy partisanshitheads, come to believe. Corporate state propaganda. That is afterall how we got into these bogus endless colonial wars of occupation and profiteering.

Bill Clinton deregulated the FCC. There were 50 some odd companies in the US media machinery back in the 1980s. Now 6 multinational cprporations control ~90% of what americans see, hear, and read; and since americans are such lazy partisanshitheads, come to believe. Corporate state propaganda. That is afterall how we got into these bogus endless colonial wars of occupation and profiteering.

So, yes that's free press to use your newspaper to push one candidate over the other by unbalanced or "focused attack" reporting? Or, no, that's not free press?

Just playing "Devils Advocate" here: isn't the government's responsibility to keep their people/information secret? If the press is able to learn of that classified information, shouldn't they report it?

If the press does release classified information, it can only do so because of failures in the system to keep classified information out of the hands of those who are not eligible to receive it.

Leakers are the traitors, not the press.

You're half right, fncceo

Anyone that discloses classified information to people not authorized to receive it commits treason and should be prosecuted. This includes the government official who "leaks" the information and the press who reports it. Regarding the press, the reporter, editor, and everyone who authorized publication of classified information is treasonous.

Information is classified to protect America and American lives. Publishing classified information does not constitute "news." It is an attack on this country that should not be tolerated.

So, yes that's free press to use your newspaper to push one candidate over the other by unbalanced or "focused attack" reporting? Or, no, that's not free press?
Now 6 multinational cprporations control ~90% of what americans see, hear, and read; and since americans are such lazy partisanshitheads, come to believe. Corporate state propaganda.

Corporate state propaganda. That is afterall how we got into these bogus endless colonial wars of occupation and profiteering.
Posts like this is exactly how we got into these endless tinfoil hat conspiracy theories...

There is plenty of reliable "media" thanks to the internet. TheBlaze isn't owned by any corporation. The Drudge Report isn't owned by any corporation. There are literally hundreds of options out there not owned by corporations. But if you were to recognize any of those, you wouldn't have any crazy conspiracy theories to peddle.

Corporate state propaganda. That is afterall how we got into these bogus endless colonial wars of occupation and profiteering.
Posts like this is exactly how we got into these endless tinfoil hat conspiracy theories...

There is plenty of reliable "media" thanks to the internet. TheBlaze isn't owned by any corporation. The Drudge Report isn't owned by any corporation. There are literally hundreds of options out there not owned by corporations. But if you were to recognize any of those, you wouldn't have any crazy conspiracy theories to peddle.

The Blaze, and the Drudge Report are owned by lying crazies.

The very term "conspiracy theory" was coined by the CIA to hurl at anyone who questions governmental over reaching power.

Forum List

Back