French Synagogue converted into Mosque

Sunni Man

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2008

A Marseille synagogue is to be converted into a mosque as the demand for places of religious worship for Jews and Muslims shifts in the southern French city.

Several months ago, the Al Badr Association, a Muslim organization, purchased the Or Thora synagogue near the Saint-Charles train station in Marseille for some $400,000, daily French newspaper La Provence reported on Tuesday.

Al Badr is to reopen the religious place of worship as a mosque this summer, as the numbers of Jews continued to dwindle at the synagogue, while an overflow of worshippers overwhelmed one of Al Badr’s other mosques.

The French paper reported that the Or Thora synagogue sometimes has as little as 10 worshippers present despite having a capacity of 250, while the Al Badr mosque often became so busy that worshippers were forced to pray outside the complex on a Friday, the holy day of worship in Islam.

http://www.newsweek.com/marseille-synagogue-be-converted-mosque-jews-leave-452938

A Marseille synagogue is to be converted into a mosque as the demand for places of religious worship for Jews and Muslims shifts in the southern French city.

Several months ago, the Al Badr Association, a Muslim organization, purchased the Or Thora synagogue near the Saint-Charles train station in Marseille for some $400,000, daily French newspaper La Provence reported on Tuesday.

Al Badr is to reopen the religious place of worship as a mosque this summer, as the numbers of Jews continued to dwindle at the synagogue, while an overflow of worshippers overwhelmed one of Al Badr’s other mosques.

The French paper reported that the Or Thora synagogue sometimes has as little as 10 worshippers present despite having a capacity of 250, while the Al Badr mosque often became so busy that worshippers were forced to pray outside the complex on a Friday, the holy day of worship in Islam.

http://www.newsweek.com/marseille-synagogue-be-converted-mosque-jews-leave-452938

They bought the property, so they can do whatever they want with it.

Not enough Jewish people to go to the Synagogue and there is a need for a Mosque.

The National Front will tie this project up in litigation. The Mayor of Nice is also planning to sue as well.

The National Front will tie this project up in litigation. The Mayor of Nice is also planning to sue as well.
In my neck of the woods, a local Synagogue was turned into a halfway house. And the old Methodist church next to the cemetery where much of my family is buried was turned into a restaurant with a bar in the basement, but it didn't thrive so it was torn down and a gas station/store is now on the spot. This thread implies there is some sort of sacrilege in this change of property, but it happens all over the world all the time. There is no irony here.

• Thanks
Reactions: mdk
It will all work till they raid the place and find it full of weapons.

If France were smart they would start booting all Muslims out of France.

You can't cure fucking stupid.

In my neck of the woods, a local Synagogue was turned into a halfway house. And the old Methodist church next to the cemetery where much of my family is buried was turned into a restaurant with a bar in the basement, but it didn't thrive so it was torn down and a gas station/store is now on the spot. This thread implies there is some sort of sacrilege in this change of property, but it happens all over the world all the time. There is no irony here.

I live in the Rust Belt so this is a common occurrence. Dwindling populations and congregations have left many churches up for sale in my area. Luckily, most of them have been purchased by other growing dominations or repurposed in way that still incorporates the architectural beauty of the building. It is a shame when some of them have to be razed after falling into despair.

Last edited:

Exactly...we have the same sorts of things going on where I am. Demographic shifts, aging populations, dwindling worshippers in one area and increases in others.

Exactly...we have the same sorts of things going on where I am. Demographic shifts, aging populations, dwindling worshippers in one area and increases in others.

Which Mosque do you attend?

Which Mosque do you attend?

The same one you do.

Forum List

Back