🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

From Black to White: Why Sammy Sosa and Others Are Bleaching Their Skin

DigitalDrifter

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2013
An interesting trend.

Sammy Sosa was a just a glowing brown-skinned boy when he first stepped on the baseball field as a new member of the Texas Rangers in 1989. The bright-eyed Dominican Republic native was barely 21-years-old when he came to the United States as a baseball rookie and probably didn’t have a clue that his career would lead him to become one of the most prolific Major League Baseball players of all time.

Some 600 home runs, a shaky relationship with the Chicago Cubs—where he achieved the brunt of his baseball success—a retirement and a bunch of years later, Sosa looks a whole lot different from the vibrant and hazelnut-toned young man he came to America as.

All these folks using bleaching creams are going to get skin cancer. Its not worth it.

Not surprised about Sammy Sosa. Dominicans are known for their colorism. I dated this Dominican guy for about 4 months. His mom and sister thought I was too dark for her son(even though he was about only a half a shade lighter than I am). They have this thing in Dominican culture where you're encouraged to date/ marry someone of the same or lighter complexion than you.

Now we broke up for other reasons, but I thought it was interesting how deeply they're involved in colorism. Especially since many of them are dark skinned.

All these folks using bleaching creams are going to get skin cancer. Its not worth it.

Not surprised about Sammy Sosa. Dominicans are known for their colorism. I dated this Dominican guy for about 4 months. His mom and sister thought I was too dark for her son(even though he was about only a half a shade lighter than I am). They have this thing in Dominican culture where you're encouraged to date/ marry someone of the same or lighter complexion than you.

Now we broke up for other reasons, but I thought it was interesting how deeply they're involved in colorism. Especially since many of them are dark skinned.
American blacks are just as obsessed with their skin tone.

An interesting trend.

Sammy Sosa was a just a glowing brown-skinned boy when he first stepped on the baseball field as a new member of the Texas Rangers in 1989. The bright-eyed Dominican Republic native was barely 21-years-old when he came to the United States as a baseball rookie and probably didn’t have a clue that his career would lead him to become one of the most prolific Major League Baseball players of all time.

Some 600 home runs, a shaky relationship with the Chicago Cubs—where he achieved the brunt of his baseball success—a retirement and a bunch of years later, Sosa looks a whole lot different from the vibrant and hazelnut-toned young man he came to America as.

Is he really sure he wants to do this?

White skin means you're the "oppressor" in the eyes of the regressives.

Forum List

Back