'From hell to limbo': Michael Kovrig describes more than a thousand days as China's prisoner

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
He was finally released in the middle of covid and it did immense damage to Chinas reputation. Kidnapping two Canadian businessmen on trumped up charges, no evidence, all to get back their own citizens.

The irony of Chinas economic cautionary tale may have been in the brightest light at this moment and it was Canadians in the middle of it.

On the evening of December 10, 2018, Michael Kovrig was out for dinner in Beijing with his six-months-pregnant partner, unaware it was the last time he'd enjoy her company for more than two and a half years.

Strolling home, the couple climbed a spiral staircase in front of his apartment building.

"And boom … I come out of the stairs and there's a dozen men in black, cameras on them, dressed identically, but no … markings, no badges, no nothing, surrounding us, shouting in Chinese, 'That's him,'" he told CBC News Chief Correspondent Adrienne Arsenault in an exclusive interview airing Monday.

He said a woman stepped forward and held up a piece of paper he wasn't given a chance to read.

"Apparently in Chinese it had a warrant for my arrest on it," he said. "They grabbed me. They grabbed my phone so I couldn't make a call. They pinned my arms."

The men pulled his partner away from him. His number one concern, he said, was her safety and the safety of their unborn child.

During the Korean War, a (later) neighbor was captured by the NKs and was a prisoner for more than 3 years. The guards were Chinese. It was horrible. He watched a red-headed boy die 'cause he lost the will to live. My neighbor survived. Toward the end of his life, he developed Parkinson's. The VA was very good to him. They installed a stair lift after he lost the ability to walk, and every week they sent a car to take him for a checkup followed by a lunch meeting with other former POWs.

Forum List

Back