From Shirley Chisholm To Hillary Clinton

Lakhota

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2011
2008-05-19-ShirleyChisholm1.jpg

Democratic Presidential candidate Hillary Clinton is on the verge of making history as the first female ever nominated by a major Party for President of the United States. This is no small feat. Rather, it is the culmination of decades of struggle for women’s rights - and civil rights. Just as we participated in an unprecedented election of the first African American President of the United States in 2008, we now have the opportunity to shatter a few more cracks in that highest glass ceiling (to steal a line from someone). This remarkable moment didn’t occur overnight or in a vacuum however, and we must recognize the work and sacrifice of those that came before Clinton. My mind instinctively goes back to 1972, when Shirley Chisholm became the first African American to run for President. I witnessed firsthand the sexism, racism and humiliation she endured from all angles, and I can say wholeheartedly that today the struggle for gender equality and racial equality must be married more than ever because the fight for justice and fairness most definitely continues.

In 1972, I was a 17-year-old youth coordinator for Shirley Chisholm’s campaign. I was extremely proud to be in charge of organizing young people in support of her presidential bid. She was a woman of many firsts; the first African American congresswoman, the first woman to run for the Democratic Party’s Presidential nomination and the first African American woman to run for President. She once stated: “If they don’t give you a seat at the table, bring a folding chair.” Those are words that she not only lived by, but they also set an example for both women and African Americans at a time when we needed such a fierce role model. Sadly, because she was such a trailblazer and ahead of her time, Chisholm faced extensive backlash - even from some African American leaders.

One of the greatest lessons I learned while working with Chisholm at such a young age was that we must lead by example and pave the way no matter how rough or uncharted the terrain. As I often say, we have made tremendous progress in this great nation of ours, but we have more barriers to break down. The only way to do so is to unite in our collective struggle to move forward. Blacks must fight misogyny, and women must fight racism.

Earlier this month, Clinton took to the stage at a warehouse at the Brooklyn Navy Yard and echoed this sentiment as she moved one step closer to securing the nomination. “Tonight’s victory is not about one person,” she said. “It belongs to generations of women and men who struggled and sacrificed and made this moment possible.”

I couldn’t agree more.

More: From Shirley Chisholm To Hillary Clinton

Women have come a long way, baby. Let Hillary help take them even farther.

From the article:
"She was a woman of many firsts; the first African American congresswoman, the first woman to run for the Democratic Party’s Presidential nomination... "​

Just for the record, and not to take anything away from Shirley, (a) there were two other women running for the Democratic Party nomination in that same year (Patsy Takamoto Mink and Bella Abzug) and (b) the first woman to have her name placed in nomination by either major party was Laura Clay, in 1920. She was the daughter of Cassius Clay. While Chisholm was the first Black woman to seek the office, Mink was the first Asian, in the same year.

Last edited:

Democratic Presidential candidate Hillary Clinton is on the verge of making history as the first female ever nominated by a major Party for President of the United States. This is no small feat. Rather, it is the culmination of decades of struggle for women’s rights - and civil rights. Just as we participated in an unprecedented election of the first African American President of the United States in 2008, we now have the opportunity to shatter a few more cracks in that highest glass ceiling (to steal a line from someone). This remarkable moment didn’t occur overnight or in a vacuum however, and we must recognize the work and sacrifice of those that came before Clinton. My mind instinctively goes back to 1972, when Shirley Chisholm became the first African American to run for President. I witnessed firsthand the sexism, racism and humiliation she endured from all angles, and I can say wholeheartedly that today the struggle for gender equality and racial equality must be married more than ever because the fight for justice and fairness most definitely continues.

In 1972, I was a 17-year-old youth coordinator for Shirley Chisholm’s campaign. I was extremely proud to be in charge of organizing young people in support of her presidential bid. She was a woman of many firsts; the first African American congresswoman, the first woman to run for the Democratic Party’s Presidential nomination and the first African American woman to run for President. She once stated: “If they don’t give you a seat at the table, bring a folding chair.” Those are words that she not only lived by, but they also set an example for both women and African Americans at a time when we needed such a fierce role model. Sadly, because she was such a trailblazer and ahead of her time, Chisholm faced extensive backlash - even from some African American leaders.

One of the greatest lessons I learned while working with Chisholm at such a young age was that we must lead by example and pave the way no matter how rough or uncharted the terrain. As I often say, we have made tremendous progress in this great nation of ours, but we have more barriers to break down. The only way to do so is to unite in our collective struggle to move forward. Blacks must fight misogyny, and women must fight racism.

Earlier this month, Clinton took to the stage at a warehouse at the Brooklyn Navy Yard and echoed this sentiment as she moved one step closer to securing the nomination. “Tonight’s victory is not about one person,” she said. “It belongs to generations of women and men who struggled and sacrificed and made this moment possible.”

I couldn’t agree more.

Don't forget she's the first major party candidate to be under federal criminal investigation, can you say violations of the espionage act, public corruption, influence peddling and racketeering????????????

I wouldn't mind a woman president, but HELL NO to the hildabitch. The fact that Chisholm is ignoring this says much about her.

I couldn’t agree more.

Don't forget she's the first major party candidate to be under federal criminal investigation, can you say violations of the espionage act, public corruption, influence peddling and racketeering????????????

I wouldn't mind a woman president, but HELL NO to the hildabitch. The fact that Chisholm is ignoring this says much about her.

Yeah, for one thing it says she's just like all the other dead people, who do tend not to say a whole lot about current events.
Shirley Chisholm passed away in 2005.

:rolleyes:

I couldn’t agree more.

Yeah, for one thing it says she's just like all the other dead people, who do tend not to say a whole lot about current events.

So the OP was just another regressive lie, is that what you're saying?

I couldn’t agree more.

Uhhhhhhh....... no Sparkles. The article is correct about what she did then ---- in 1972.

Or didn't you read that far?

can you say violations of the espionage act, public corruption, influence peddling and racketeering????????????

I wouldn't mind a woman president, but HELL NO to the hildabitch.

lol @ influence peddling oooh be very afraid of the corrupt vagina.. peddling political influence!

psst i hear it's the downfall of America!! :lol:

Tremendous amounts of talent are lost to our society just because that talent wears a skirt.

The emotional, sexual, and psychological stereotyping of females begins when the doctor says, "It's a girl."

Of my two handicaps, being female put many more obstacles in my path than being black.

---- Shirley Chisholm (1924-2005)​

I couldn’t agree more.

Uhhhhhhh....... no Sparkles. The article is correct about what she did then ---- in 1972.

Which had what to do with the hildabitch? Or did you read the title of the op and the article? Also my comment stands in reference to the author of the article ignoring the investigation of the hildabitch. Just proves regressives have no respect for this nation or its laws.

I couldn’t agree more.

Which had what to do with the hildabitch? Or did you read the title of the op and the article? Also my comment stands in reference to the author of the article ignoring the investigation of the hildabitch. Just proves regressives have no respect for this nation or its laws.

You're not the brightest bulb in the light tower are ya?

Once again this was your post:

"I wouldn't mind a woman president, but HELL NO to the hildabitch. The fact that Chisholm is ignoring this says much about her."

"Chisholm" is not the author here. The fact that she's referred to in the third person kinda gives it away, even if it were possible to write a blog 11 years after your own death in which you "ignore" something.

--- again, dead people do tend to "ignore this". Where "this" is defined as "everything".

Forum List

Back