FYI - Massive Data Breach!!

I am guessing it includes citizens of other nations, although the article doesn't say that. But if so that's over a third of the Earth's population.
It's the initial reporting so who knows. The main point isn't the numbers but what was stolen, every piece of our information, every single item from birth though death........... That is the message to focus on, at least that is what I'm focusing on. Ya want to focus on numbers then be my guest.

It is reported that 2.9 billion American's personal data has been stolen. This includes everything including our social security numbers, every address we've live at, phone numbers, EVERYTHING!! The data was taken from National Public Data which sells this data to the government, police, employers, et (typically for background checks) and the data was not encrypted.

2.9 Billion People May Have Been Compromised in National Public Data Breach. Here’s What You Need to Know

How do 2.9 billion Americans lose their information? That's more Americans than even won Olympic medals this year.

It's the initial reporting so who knows. The main point isn't the numbers but what was stolen, every piece of our information, every single item from birth though death........... That is the message to focus on, at least that is what I'm focusing on. Ya want to focus on numbers then be my guest.
Yeah, that is definitely a problem. I did find more;

The breach is related to an incident from April 8, when a known cyber-criminal group named USDoD claimed to have access to the personal data of 2.9 billion people from the U.S., U.K., and Canada and was selling the information for $3.5 million, according to a class action complaint. USDoD is thought to have obtained the database from another threat actor using the alias “SXUL.”

It could be disinformation to spook us. There are a few wars going on.
Still, I guess it doesn't hurt any of us to do a little 'security checkup' on our own data. I would even say that is advisable under the circumstances.

"CNET (short for “Computer Network”) is a well-established online media platform that provides a wide range of content, primarily focused on technology and consumer electronics."

I only focus on numbers when something doesn't add up. (Small pun intended). There has been so many fake news stories in the past few years I can't help but have a critical eye. Sometimes the numbers give away the lie.

I only focus on numbers when something doesn't add up. (Small pun intended). There has been so many fake news stories in the past few years I can't help but have a critical eye. Sometimes the numbers give away the lie.
I just heard from an insider friend (works on these types of cases), the breach is real and is as serious as has been reported. He's recommending a credit freeze. Even with fraud alert I may do the freeze or lock just to be on the safe side.
Plus time to change all of our passwords and set up two tier security.

While looking online about this item, I actually ran across a few articles from "journalists" that claimed "2.9 billion social security numbers were stolen".
Nope, not going to confuse the issue by posting that dumbness here.
But it seems journalism has become something that isn't serving us all that well.

Last edited:
It is reported that 2.9 billion American's personal data has been stolen. This includes everything including our social security numbers, every address we've live at, phone numbers, EVERYTHING!! The data was taken from National Public Data which sells this data to the government, police, employers, et (typically for background checks) and the data was not encrypted.

2.9 Billion People May Have Been Compromised in National Public Data Breach. Here’s What You Need to Know
I wonder how long after the class action lawsuit is filed they go tit's up?

And?

Forum List

Back