Gabby Douglas apologizes in wake of national anthem criticism

This was pathetic...

Questioning this patriotism because where she put her hand is a joke...

Gabby Douglas apologizes in wake of national anthem criticism

don't people have anything better to do nowadays?

here is a quote from the article I like" Unfortunately, the social media era makes not offending people quite impossible."

Gabby showed respect during the national anthem......she did not raise a fist in a black power solute

Used to be that it was sufficient to stand at attention and gaze at the flag when the anthem was played. Look at old Olympic ceremonies and that was what you saw

But since Obama was caught not having his hand on his heart, the flag nuts have insisted you MUST put your hand on your heart

Ridiculous that this was an issue.

Way to taint a wonderful victory.

When I was a kid, I was taught proper flag etiquette was to place your hand on your heart during the Pledge of Allegiance and to remove your hat and stand at attention during the National Anthem

When I was a kid, I was taught proper flag etiquette was to place your hand on your heart during the Pledge of Allegiance and to remove your hat and stand at attention during the National Anthem

That's incorrect according to U.S. Code. Unless you're military, in which you salute from start to finish, you're supposed to face the flag, stand at attention, and place your right hand over you heart. Men wearing hats are to place the hat over their left should which puts their hand over their heart. If no flag is visible, face the direction of the music and do the same as if a flag was there.

That's incorrect according to U.S. Code. Unless you're military, in which you salute from start to finish, you're supposed to face the flag, stand at attention, and place your right hand over you heart. Men wearing hats are to place the hat over their left should which puts their hand over their heart. If no flag is visible, face the direction of the music and do the same as if a flag was there.

Phelps laughed during the anthem and not much was said, except why was he laughing...

By the way no other country does the hand on heart thing... Actually the view from most people outside US is that they bitch about something about the flag or anthem but will let a fellow countryman die in the gutter and call that patriotism....

don't people have anything better to do nowadays?

Good point.

One might notice this flows over into the political candidates as well.

Some of these networks spent story after story commenting about Trump's dismissal of a baby. And they hardly touched on Hillary's crimes and Obama's secret $400 million, etc. --- because apparently the public does not care about that stuff.
THAT, is the mainstream news media for you these days. Sick.

People that go searching to be outraged usually succeed. Some folks just need to get a life.

I guess her little demonstration back fired on her. Boo hoo.

proxy.jpg

Big deal...this is America; she meant no disrespect.
Even if she chose not to place her hand over her heart, that is the right of an American citizen.

Phelps laughed during the anthem and not much was said, except why was he laughing...

By the way no other country does the hand on heart thing... Actually the view from most people outside US is that they bitch about something about the flag or anthem but will let a fellow countryman die in the gutter and call that patriotism....

Are we supposed to do things the way other countries do them?

If anyone dies in the gutter, it's the fault of people like you that don't do enough to help them.

I wouldn't go so far as to get outraged over it, but seriously who didn't grow up putting your hand over your heart during the anthem and so would have to actively decide NOT to do so ? Meaning , I think she neglected to do so on purpose, making her a twat, but it's not really that big a deal.

You don't salute in the military if: You are not covered, or you are in formation, then the formation leader salutes for you all while you stand at attention.

You don't salute in the military if: You are not covered, or you are in formation, then the formation leader salutes for you all while you stand at attention.

Didn't mention being in formation just being in the military. My statement included the military as part of the U.S. Code. It specifically and accurately corrected the incorrect manner in which rightwinger was taught about how an individual, not in the military, is supposed to present him/herself when the National Anthem is being played. If you want to address where I was wrong related to that, do so. You're wasting your time.

Her failure disrespected the Nation she was supposed to be representing. She should be barred from further representation while she learns how to do so properly.

Forum List

Back