Gabby Douglas apologizes in wake of national anthem criticism

When I was a kid, I was taught proper flag etiquette was to place your hand on your heart during the Pledge of Allegiance and to remove your hat and stand at attention during the National Anthem

That's incorrect according to U.S. Code. Unless you're military, in which you salute from start to finish, you're supposed to face the flag, stand at attention, and place your right hand over you heart. Men wearing hats are to place the hat over their left should which puts their hand over their heart. If no flag is visible, face the direction of the music and do the same as if a flag was there.

WFT is US Code? I've never heard of such a thing.

This is bullshit. As long a person stands quietly and respectfully during the playing of the national anthem, nothing more is required. This hand on your heart stuff is just lunacy. One must be patriotic in just this way. Garbage.

don't people have anything better to do nowadays?

Good point.

One might notice this flows over into the political candidates as well.

Some of these networks spent story after story commenting about Trump's dismissal of a baby. And they hardly touched on Hillary's crimes and Obama's secret $400 million, etc. --- because apparently the public does not care about that stuff.
THAT, is the mainstream news media for you these days. Sick.

No, that's because Hillary's crimes and Obama's secret $400 million are Republican lies, and don't really exist.

There wasn't anything to apologize for. When did this become a requirement?

By hard work and by practicing many hours a day for years you won a gold medal for your nation by competing against the best the rest of the world has to offer and defeating all of them while rooting on your teammates, but not putting your hand over your heart is an outrage!

Stupid as hell.

Last edited:
When I was a kid, I was taught proper flag etiquette was to place your hand on your heart during the Pledge of Allegiance and to remove your hat and stand at attention during the National Anthem

That's incorrect according to U.S. Code. Unless you're military, in which you salute from start to finish, you're supposed to face the flag, stand at attention, and place your right hand over you heart. Men wearing hats are to place the hat over their left should which puts their hand over their heart. If no flag is visible, face the direction of the music and do the same as if a flag was there.

This is bullshit. As long a person stands quietly and respectfully during the playing of the national anthem, nothing more is required. This hand on your heart stuff is just lunacy. One must be patriotic in just this way. Garbage.

36 U.S. Code § 301 - National anthem

Try reading and quit being a stupid motherfucker for once.

It's still bullshit.

You have a law that tells you what to do when the national anthem is playing. Total bullshit.

It's still bullshit.

You have a law that tells you what to do when the national anthem is playing. Total bullshit.

What's bullshit is something actually has to be written for people to be respectful.

You said nothing more is required. Seems it is.

Typical lefty thinking something they don't like is bullshit because they don't like it.

It would have been nice if she followed custom as her team mates did. They obviously were

taught manners. But Gabby did not so now, being a public figure will receive the negative comments!

By hard work and by practicing many hours a day for years you won a gold medal for your nation by competing against the best the rest of the world has to offer and defeating all of them while rooting on your teammates, but not putting your hand over your heart is an outrage!

Stupid as hell.

Hard work doesn't cancel disrespect. If she is remembered at all it will be for disrespecting her Country; not her athletic performance. She deliberately dishonored herself and she certainly deserves the disrespect she has earned for herself.

The same way people disrespect US soldiers who don't 'toe the line' and present themselves prostrate on the ground in front of them.

I ignore you people, you are not to be given the time of day. You have no clue how to earn something by hard work.

I seem to remember Bush changing it to allow vets the option of standing at attention. Most military, while in civilian clothes, just stand at attention. That's what I always preferred doing and still do.

I seem to remember Bush changing it to allow vets the option of standing at attention. Most military, while in civilian clothes, just stand at attention. That's what I always preferred doing and still do.

The code I referenced says military personnel not in uniform may render the salute as if they were. If they choose not to, it would revert to what's expected of civilians and that is standing at attention with your hand over your heart.

I've seen older veterans still salute despite. Most of them are of the age to have fought in WWII or Korea.

My response above was to the moron that said "as long as a person stands quietly and respectfully . . ., nothing more is required". That's simply not true.

Stupid as hell.

Hard work doesn't cancel disrespect. If she is remembered at all it will be for disrespecting her Country; not her athletic performance. She deliberately dishonored herself and she certainly deserves the disrespect she has earned for herself.
No dumb ass, she will be remebered for her outstanding performances.
Only the Geritol brigade, such as yourself, will be reduced to crying bitches...

Stupid as hell.

Only the Geritol brigade, such as yourself, will be reduced to crying bitches...

Can I mention that Michael Phelps was joking with teammates during the playing of the US National Anthem, and no one criticized him. The stupid shaming of young women on the internet continues.

Stupid as hell.

Can I mention that Michael Phelps was joking with teammates during the playing of the US National Anthem, and no one criticized him. The stupid shaming of young women on the internet continues.
Everyone has their own method of saluting.

Carlos-Smith.jpg

This is just stupid. But in the wake of this stupidity Gabby Douglas still apologized. She's a bigger person with more class than anyone who complained about her.

Forum List

Back