Gas Spending.

I know that.
Your comment was fine.

I was just telling my wife this morning how much I enjoy my commute

I drive through 5 communities, nice roads, no traffic, window down, music or sports on the radio

Very relaxing
Imagine how much better if you had an hour to walk instead of sitting on your rear.

I have a Jeep Wrangler.
Love it, but onto the subject.

I have a 4 day workweek, and I just filled up EXACTLY one week later.

Result: $62.
That is per week.

Job is 68 miles Round-trip.

4 + weeks per month, means I spend about (62 x 4.2) = $260 per month

Let's round that up to $400. (From $260) Generous.
So I spend $400 per Month on Gas.

Thoughts?
Others?
Your Spending?
In the winter i can fill my 36 gallon tank and drive for about 5 weeks before refilling.

In the summer we do a bit of camping. This last weekend, our last trip this season, I spent nearly 150 dollars to fill my tank at close to 5 bucks a gallon. Drove 2.5 hours there and 2.5 back pulling my 26 foot travel trailer and had fumes left...it's getting expensive to pull the trailer.

You seriously can’t think of anything better to do than drive for an hour every day?
I have to go to work dude.

So it's an hour, big deal.
How many people have a 10-15 minute commute?

I'm not complaining.

$2.99/gallon here. 11 miles roundtrip to my job M-F in my 2015 Toyota Camry. Occasionally I have to go to Galveston, Angleton, downtown Houston or Conroe. Weekends, I drive my 2014 Toyota Tacoma. These days, I get out of town about once a month on the weekends.

Here are my thoughts...posted for my own benefit.

My wife is pondering the purchase of a new car, although her BMW has been the most wonderful car anyone could imagine for the past six years, seriously. I am pondering the fuel consumption possibilities for her next vehicle, presuming we will keep it for six years - 72k miles.

The Beemer uses mid-grade gas, and gets 25mpg all the time. Always has. Hence, at $4.25/gal we are spending $2,040 per year on fuel...$170/month.

Option A, would be to get a Honda Accord hybrid, which will get, say, 45mpg on regular, at $4.00/gal. $1,066 per year, spending $89/month - a savings of $80/mo.

On the other end of the spectrum, if she were to say, to hell with fuel economy, and buy a Genesis G70 with the twin-turbo 6, her mileage would only be around 18mpg, at $4.25 (assuming we run mid-grade, the monthly fuel cost would be $236/mo.

A Tesla Model 3 is rated at 132 mpg, so its theoretical cost per month would be $30.00.

So the most expensive of these options is only $66/mo more than we are spending now, so given the amounts of money we are talking about that wouldn't really be much of an issue.

America... When the oil reserves run dry, you'll wake up to 10 gas where it is available.

Simple. Don't act inappropriately. Inappropriate board activity is all I have ever tapped you with, and you deserved it ant the one point at a time. All of those two pointers warnings were senior mods, along with virtually every other mod that has been on the mod board for your Trolling, Pedo attacks, family attack, etc, your history going back to people that aren't even mods anymore or dead. But that is just because you brought it up.
My response is you have the choice to buy a smaller work car or move closer to your job. There is another option or two. You could car pool, like I did back during the Carter Administration in the days of the OPEC oil embargo, 13% inflation and the double nickle speed limit. You could move out of that state known for high taxes (including gas tax) and high gas prices, but its totally up to you. I don't care if you walk. To tell the truth and I don't have your gas problems as it is ordinarily much cheaper here, plus I get 60 cents off/gallon or more for shopping with Kroger. Plus, I don't use my Jeep the way you do, as I have been retired for years, so often put less than 15 miles a week unless kayaking.
How do you get .60 cents off per gallon by shopping at Kroger?

I've been shopping online there for years and have never seen that offer.

Kroger sell gas at their large supermarkets. They have a patronage card, that is scanned whenever we buy groceries, giving fuel points off, based on what we spend, and we eat fairly high up the hog, as they say, PJ loving to cook and experiment. Every week, I go online and answer their customer satisfaction survey, for an additional 50 point, it taking less than 5 min. Unless traveling, we don't us much gas. 60 cents off has become sort of an average, but we have gotten more than a dollar/gallon off during the last two months. My brother got us into the Kroger shopper patronage card program years ago, before he retired from Kroger. We like Kroger pretty well, as their prices are about like other major chains here, their floors are clean and shining, produce looks great, they aren't constantly running out of the name brands we are used to, and they keep plenty of friendly help available, and with 3 very large store within 3 miles of the house, they are conveniently located. Shopping there is a win/win for us. They have been around since 1883 and are the largest supermarket operator in the United States by revenue, so they pretty well have their act together. I was a purchasing agent in wholesale. They reflect many of the attributes I looked for in long term suppliers, in their business model, efficiency, service, average price point, operation and customer care.

You join their rewards membership, then you buy gift cards to other stores, like if you want a TV, get a gift card for Best Buy, you get 10x sometimes and we get a dollar off almost every visit because we buy gift cards for everything.

Kroger sell gas at their large supermarkets. They have a patronage card, that is scanned whenever we buy groceries, giving fuel points off, based on what we spend, and we eat fairly high up the hog, as they say, PJ loving to cook and experiment. Every week, I go online and answer their customer satisfaction survey, for an additional 50 point, it taking less than 5 min. Unless traveling, we don't us much gas. 60 cents off has become sort of an average, but we have gotten more than a dollar/gallon off during the last two months. My brother got us into the Kroger shopper patronage card program years ago, before he retired from Kroger. We like Kroger pretty well, as their prices are about like other major chains here, their floors are clean and shining, produce looks great, they aren't constantly running out of the name brands we are used to, and they keep plenty of friendly help available, and with 3 very large store within 3 miles of the house, they are conveniently located. Shopping there is a win/win for us. They have been around since 1883 and are the largest supermarket operator in the United States by revenue, so they pretty well have their act together. I was a purchasing agent in wholesale. They reflect many of the attributes I looked for in long term suppliers, in their business model, efficiency, service, average price point, operation and customer care.
Since I do all of my shopping online with Kroger, I was not even aware that they had gasoline stations.

Since retiring I don't drive as much, but my wife drives daily to the gym and other appointments for the business that she owns.

I'm signed up on Krogers website to get their weekly ads, so I will do a location search to see if there is a store that has a service station near me.
Thanks for the info!

Forum List

Back