Geezer backs into crowd. Kills 3 and injures 4

ShootSpeeders

Gold Member
May 13, 2012
All she got was a citation for IMPROPER BACKING!!! Hit her with 3 counts of vehicular homicide. I can see possibly bumping into people while backing out of a parking space, but how do you kill 3? How fast was she going?

Florida driver backs into 7 people with SUV, killing 3 and injuring 4 | Fox News

February 05, 2014Associated Press
BRADENTON, FLA. – A 79-year-old woman mistakenly backed into seven people in a parking lot with her SUV, killing three of them and injuring four.

The Florida Highway Patrol said in a news release Wednesday that Doreene Landstra of Palmetto has been ordered to appear in court next month after receiving a citation for improper backing.

The collision happened Sunday at the Sugar Creek Country Club, a mobile home community about 45 miles south of Tampa. Residents had gathered for church services inside a clubhouse building.

According to a police report, Landstra began backing her 2009 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV out of a parking space, pulled forward when she realized she needed more room to clear another parked vehicle, and then struck the seven people when she began to back up again

Years ago in Santa Barbara (I thnk it was there) a guy in his latter 70's (older?) drove thru the WHOLE TWO BLOCKS of a farmers market killing many. Instead of the brake, he hit the metal to the pedal then froze with his foot making the car go even faster as bodies flew over the car or ran over them. Then of all things, he pleaded not guilty because he was "confused" and "not his fault" and he would fight to keep his license. I don't remember all the details. I just know he was a dick for being so uncaring at what he did.

Just because you're old doesn't mean you can't, or shouldn't be allowed to drive. Millions of older people drive. Very few suffer accidents because of it.

Think though instead of renewing driver's licenses every so often, after a certain age, and then more and more frequently, you should be required to take the same driving test with an instructor a 16 year-old does. Reflexes slow and mental functioning becomes less efficient as we get older. Though not everyone at a certain age suffers this to the same degree, ensuring older people aren't 'driving impaired from old age' is sensible and fair.

Hit her with 3 counts of vehicular homicide.
Nuances vary by state but vehicular homicide usually involves intentionally operating a vehicle in a negligent manner. Examples would be going way over the speed limit, being drunk, etc.

Stomping on the wrong pedal doesn't usually apply.

I watched a Democratic committee meeting on C-Span a few years ago.
It was about Senior Citizens and their driving.
The Liberal Dem's wanted to start a program to control aged drivers and to tell them when they should stop driving.
Each and everyone who talked to the committee said that Seniors were controlling themselves as to when they should stop driving.
The liberals were very upset with the reports, they kept ignoring all of them and still tried to get some kind of a bill that would put the control into their hands and not the Seniors. It failed and nothing was able to pass through the committee.
Nothing makes a Social Democrat angrier than the people controlling and governing themselves. :)

In other words the vast majority of Seniors knows when they should give up driving and they do it.

• Banned
Years ago in Santa Barbara (I thnk it was there) a guy in his latter 70's (older?) drove thru the WHOLE TWO BLOCKS of a farmers market killing many. Instead of the brake, he hit the metal to the pedal then froze with his foot making the car go even faster as bodies flew over the car or ran over them. Then of all things, he pleaded not guilty because he was "confused" and "not his fault" and he would fight to keep his license. I don't remember all the details. I just know he was a dick for being so uncaring at what he did.

I remember that case. I think his name was george russell weller. No one believed his story about "accidentally" hitting the accelerator instead of the brake. He should have been locked up for llfe. Killed like 12 people and injured 50. How can that happen accidentally?

• Banned
Nuances vary by state but vehicular homicide usually involves intentionally operating a vehicle in a negligent manner. Examples would be going way over the speed limit, being drunk, etc.

Hitting the wrong pedal?? HAHAHA. That's just lawyer talk. All geezers say that.:clap2:

BRADENTON, FLA. – A 79-year-old woman mistakenly backed into seven people in a parking lot with her SUV, killing three of them and injuring four.

Florida only requires an eye exam after age 80. This lady was 79. Not sure if this is the reason why this event occurred. Shouldn't eye exams be done at every license renewal?

FLORIDA: People 80 and older must renew their license every six years, compared with every eight years for younger people. Also, people 80 and older must pass an eye exam with every renewal.

Florida also allows confidential reporting of a possibly unsafe driver by anyone — doctor, law enforcement, relative or bystander. Officials may ask those drivers to submit medical reports from their doctor or to undergo testing at a driver license office.

Rules of the road: A 50-state look at the rules governing drivers? licenses for older adults* - Page 1 - NY Daily News

While I agree that a lot of seniors can drive safely there are also plenty of them ( and even younger people) which SHOULD not be driving.

If you see people on 3-5 antidepressants, antipsychotics and chronic pain medications - that is the first sign the person should not be driving.

There is negligent homicide. Stomping on the wrong petal isn't an accident it's an act of negligence. She had to know her skills were diminished. The elderly should not get a pass. I suspect the state doesn't want the burden to care for them if incarcerated.

Make testing mandatory after age 70 or so. The phsical test.

Hitting the wrong pedal?? HAHAHA. That's just lawyer talk. All geezers say that.:clap2:

This really is not funny in the least - just saying.

Vehicular homicide? Maybe if she was breaking some law at the time. Why do you want someone charged for this? Who would that serve?

that was out here in Santa Monica.....

This really is not funny in the least - just saying.

Vehicular homicide? Maybe if she was breaking some law at the time. Why do you want someone charged for this? Who would that serve?

HAHAHA. Are you serious?? Throwing this old bat in the can would deter other geezers from driving negligently. Why do we always have to explain this to you.?

Forum List

Back