George Will says W 2003 decision is worst foreign policy decision in U.S. history

The last 11 years have been filled with hard learning. The 2003 invasion of Iraq, the worst foreign policy decision in U.S. history, coincided with mission creep (“nation building”) in Afghanistan.

George Will A Republican rethinking of foreign policy New Hampshire Columns

He ends this rebuke of Bush 43 with this "Obama is right that there is much to rethink."

The Obama haters on the USMB would be well advised to learn how to think.

Is Rand Paul really gong to replace McCain and Graham as the GOP's new face of foreign and military policy that veers closer to the isolationist policy of his father?

Many events (U.S. military misadventures since 2001, the Syrian civil war, the rise of the Islamic State, the spinning centrifuges of Iran’s nuclear weapons program) and one senator (Rand Paul) have reopened a Republican debate that essentially closed when Dwight Eisenhower won the 1952 Republican presidential nomination. One reason he sought it was to block Ohio’s Sen. Robert Taft..

This is more indication that it was not a failure or mistake to abide by the terms of the 2008 Bush Maliki SOFA when Obama presided over the end of the war that truly was the worst foreign policy decision in U.S. history.

I guess G Will forgot about Vietnam!

What a dope.

LAR 10168638
The unfinished business in iraq still confuses witless progressives...

I am not confused. Do you mean now that Maliki is gone, the new government and Iraq's army, Shiite militia's and Peshmerga will defeat DAIISH.

DAIISH has fled the oil city of Baijji.

Iraqi army soldiers gain full control of oil-rich BaijiIraqi army troops chant slogans against ISIL as they recruit volunteers to join the fight against the Takfiri terrorist group in northern Iraq. (File photo)

Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:17PM GMT

• 367828_ISIL-Iraq.jpg
    ‘Iraqis will win current battle’
Iraqi troops battling the ISIL Takfiri militants have accomplished their mop-up operation in the strategic northern city of Baiji, which is home to the country’s largest oil refinery.

On Friday, Iraqi forces backed by volunteer forces established security and stability in the oil-rich city, located some 210 kilometers (130 miles) north of the capital, Baghdad, following its liberation from the ISIL terrorists days earlier.

PressTV - Iraqi army soldiers gain full control of oil-rich Baiji

All those dems were duped into voting for war in iraq..... Nonsense, they had to get relected first before resorting to the cowards they truly are.... Ah principles !

True story

STTA 10169177

Not really. Vietnam was deadlier in terms of loss of Anerican lives overall but it was not one president's decision to rapidly invade over an issue that had a peaceful means of resolving in progress at the time of the invasion

STTA 10169177

Not really. Vietnam was deadlier in terms of loss of Anerican lives overall but it was not one president's decision to rapidly invade over an issue that had a peaceful means of resolving in progress at the time of the invasion

George Will's article said nothing about one President's decision.

However, of course Vietnam was one President's decision to send troops to Vietnam, and ultimately, I believe, led to the assassination of a sitting US President to make it happen. Lyndon B Johnson single handily escalated the US's involvement in Vietnam for no other reason than to make his wife's family even richer than they already were.
That's shitty foreign policy right there.

Well, that's a nutty post. But I have always believed the Diem family put a hit on Kennedy for not protecting the brothers from assassination.

The uber-lefty obama undermined the efforts and successes of the Bush-era in Iraq

How did Obama undermine the efforts? Did he sneak in and steal all the WMD that Bush said was hidden from the 2003 inspectors?
Senator Kerry (D) "American soldiers going into the homes of Iraqis in the dead of night, terrorizing kids and children."

U.S. Rep. John Murtha(D)"Our troops killed innocent civilians in cold blood,”

Durbin (D) "must have been done by Nazis, Soviets"--action of Americans in the treatment of their prisoners.

Senator Obama said "troops are air-raiding villages and killing civilians,"

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid(D) "The war is lost, the surge is not accomplishing anything "

These traitors murdered American troops when they said these words of ENCOURAGEMENT to the recruiters of more terrorists!
GEEZ NO president no congressman EVER helped our enemies kill our troops like the above statements did!
I really don't understand people who complain "Bush LIED" people died!
THESE GUYS LIED and the following Harvard study shows the consequences!!

"Are insurgents in Iraq emboldened by voices in the news media expressing dissent or calling for troop withdrawals from Iraq?

The resounding answer WAS YES!!!
according to Radha Iyengar, a Robert Wood Johnson Scholar in health policy research at Harvard and Jonathan Monten of the Belfer Center at the university's Kennedy School of Government.
Using data on attacks and variation in access to international news across Iraqi provinces, we identify an “emboldenment” effect by comparing the rate of insurgent attacks in areas with higher and lower access to information about U.S news after public statements critical of the war.
In Iraqi provinces that were broadly comparable in social and economic terms, attacks increased between 7 percent and 10 percent following what the researchers call "high-mention weeks," like the two just before the November 2006 election.

If the Harvard study is right, we may be looking at a virtuous circle: Less violence means less media coverage, which in turn means less violence, says the Wall Street Journal.
“Sometimes words are mistakes; they’re just poorly put. But sometimes they’re a manifestation of one’s deep belief in the world and that’s what you really get with President Obama.”
ttp://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/09/us/politics/a-president-whose-assurances-have-come-back-to-haunt-him.html?_r=0

Bush is the prime operator for making Iraq happen

Bush is completely alone as the only one that decided in March 2003 to drive the UN inspectors out of Iraq so that the US military could secure the stockpiles of WMD's from falling into the hands of 9/11 terrorists.

That is why George Will attacks the Decision, not the process.

"""The 2003 invasion of Iraq, the worst foreign policy decision in U.S. history, .."""

There is no disputing that what George Will calls worst foreign policy decision in U.S. history, was a decision made by only one man. Bush may have been pushed but he made the decision and cannot put the blame anywhere but himself. The inspectors where there. SH offered to let the CIA and other US WMD experts come in. Bush alone 'decided' to reject that offer.

The uber-lefty obama undermined the efforts and successes of the Bush-era in Iraq

How did Obama undermine the efforts? Did he sneak in and steal all the WMD that Bush said was hidden from the 2003 inspectors?
You're a shill. Removing our military presence in the name of playing 1968 left the door open for the resurgence of anti-west islimism.

And the result of WW2 was the rise of the Soviet Union an the Cold War. THe result of that was the rise of Islamic terrorism

Islamic terrorism was cause by the end of the Cold War?!?!

You have to laugh, don't you?

Who voted to authorize force in Iraq October 2002?
Posted: 12/31/1969 7:00 pm EST Updated: 05/25/2011 12:25 pm EDT

Which U.S. Senators voted for the resolution that authorized the use of force in Iraq? 29 Democratic US Senators, and all but one (R-RI, Chafee) Republican. The full roll call on H.J.Res. 114, 107th Congress, A joint resolution to authorize the use of United States Armed Forces against Iraq, is here. The vote count was YEAs 77, NAYs 23.

Below is a list of the Democrat Senators who vote YEA. I wish everyone voted NAY, but note that, in additional to Hillary, a number of very good people voted YEA at the time. Obama did not vote on the resolution, because he was a member of the Illinois State Senate, rather than the U.S. Senate, at the time. Congressman Jim McGovern, a leading critic of the Iraq war, recently discussed Obama's 2004 comments on the Iraq war in this Huffington Post blog, which includes this 2004 Obama quote "I'm not privy to Senate intelligence reports. What would I have done? I don't know." I think that was an honest answer.

Here are the Democratic Senators who voted YEA on October 2002.

Baucus (D-MT), Yea
Bayh (D-IN), Yea
Biden (D-DE), Yea
Breaux (D-LA), Yea
Cantwell (D-WA), Yea
Carnahan (D-MO), Yea
Carper (D-DE), Yea
Cleland (D-GA), Yea
Clinton (D-NY), Yea
Daschle (D-SD), Yea
Dodd (D-CT), Yea
Dorgan (D-ND), Yea
Edwards (D-NC), Yea
Feinstein (D-CA), Yea
Harkin (D-IA), Yea
Hollings (D-SC), Yea
Johnson (D-SD), Yea
Kerry (D-MA), Yea
Kohl (D-WI), Yea
Landrieu (D-LA), Yea
Lieberman (D-CT), Yea
Lincoln (D-AR), Yea
Miller (D-GA), Yea
Nelson (D-FL), Yea
Nelson (D-NE), Yea
Reid (D-NV), Yea
Rockefeller (D-WV), Yea
Schumer (D-NY), Yea
Torricelli (D-NJ), Yea

looks like the V.P. agreed with GWB as well as Clinton, Reid, etc,, Kerry too.

147 Democrats voted against the Iraq war authorization. How many Republicans voted against it?

Will has never understood Iraq....that's okay, he doesn't know much about baseball either. ABC threw him out because he's like Peggy Noonan wearing a bow tie...self-absorbed and boring. Few leftists will ever get over Iraq which is weird because none of them had the guts to go there, right or wrong. Same as our era dirtbags...they wanted Vietnam lost to prove everybody else wrong. It's what they were taught by fellow travelers in the public schools....if we ever intend this Nation to be anything but a sodomite sewer again, the schools must be closed, boarded up, every teacher and admin fired...have a national debate about what we want future children taught and by whom before those schools reopen the doors.

we are of the same generation, 58,000 americans died in viet nam for NOTHING. When will we learn that lesson?

For nothing? If you're a Viet Vet I feel sorry for you for saying that. If not, STFU. What could have been accomplished will never be known because we weren't allowed to chase Nathan home after Tet when we could have. I believe Thailand was saved. I believe the dominoes stopped falling thanks to us....I believe we learned that conscripting citizens wouldn't work anymore. I believe we got better at fighting asymmetrical warfare there from what we first learned fighting the japs in the Pacific. I believe we set the stage for the chinese and Viets to hate each other's guts for another century. I believe we groomed an officer corps that went on to win Desert Storm while the russians wathced their client state disassembled without a peep out of them. I believe that our time there influenced the Viets toward our culture...they're great gamblers and love to have their own businesses, Maybe we did win the Vietnam War.....like everything in the orient....things sometimes take a couple generations to stick.

Jesus you are indeed insane.

Forum List

Back