Germany is a Green basketcase:

bripat9643

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2011
The price of moral-vanity: A catalogue of Green economic disaster unfolds across Europe « JoNova

The real cost of moral-vanity, of name-calling, poor reasoning, selecting one’s evidence, and the triumph of doing things because they “feel-good” rather than because of the cold hard numbers, is measured in the trillions. This disaster was entirely foreseeable, totally predictable, and completely unnecessary.

Thanks to Benny Peiser and The Australian, the utter folly is laid bare.

AS country after country abandons, curtails or reneges on once-generous support for renewable energy, Europe is beginning to realize that its green energy strategy is dying on the vine. Green dreams are giving way to hard economic realities.​

• German’s electricity bills have doubled since 2000. (Germans pay about 40c a KWH.)
  • Up to 800,000 Germans have had their power cut off because they couldn’t pay their bills.
  • Germany’s renewable energy levy rose from €14bn to €20bn in one year as wind and solar expanded. German households will pay a renewables surcharge of €7.2bn this year alone.
  • Germany has more than half the worlds solar panels. They generated 40% of Germany’s peak electricity demand on June 6, but practically 0% during the darkest weeks of winter.
  • Seimens closed it’s entire solar division, losing about €1bn. Bosch is getting out too, it has lost about €2.4bn.
  • Solar investors have lost almost about €25bn in the past year. More than 5,000 companies associated with solar have closed since 2010.
  • Germany has phased out nuclear, but is adding 20 coal fired stations. Gas power can’t compete with cheap coal or subsidized renewables and 20% of gas power plants are facing shutdown.
  • Despite the river of money paid to renewables, emissions have risen in Germany for the last two years.

last I checked germany had a 5.4% UE rate, but good to see the green became a fraud today, way to early need a few more 100 years.

I'm surprised the AGW cult hasn't pounced on this. Perhaps indisputable facts are not something they care to debate.

Germany has been that way for a long time. When I had a German exchange student we could never figure out why he only had a shower once or twice a week. Water costs a lot there.

gasoline and other industries when born were not a financial success either, whale oil was much cheaper.

gasoline and other industries when born were not a financial success either, whale oil was much cheaper.

Wrong. Kerosene was a profitable business from day-one because it was far cheaper than whale oil. The same goes for the motor car. In fact, there are no instances of successful industry that started out with government subsidies.

Last edited:
The price of moral-vanity: A catalogue of Green economic disaster unfolds across Europe « JoNova

The real cost of moral-vanity, of name-calling, poor reasoning, selecting one’s evidence, and the triumph of doing things because they “feel-good” rather than because of the cold hard numbers, is measured in the trillions. This disaster was entirely foreseeable, totally predictable, and completely unnecessary.

Thanks to Benny Peiser and The Australian, the utter folly is laid bare.

AS country after country abandons, curtails or reneges on once-generous support for renewable energy, Europe is beginning to realize that its green energy strategy is dying on the vine. Green dreams are giving way to hard economic realities.​

• German’s electricity bills have doubled since 2000. (Germans pay about 40c a KWH.)
  • Up to 800,000 Germans have had their power cut off because they couldn’t pay their bills.
  • Germany’s renewable energy levy rose from €14bn to €20bn in one year as wind and solar expanded. German households will pay a renewables surcharge of €7.2bn this year alone.
  • Germany has more than half the worlds solar panels. They generated 40% of Germany’s peak electricity demand on June 6, but practically 0% during the darkest weeks of winter.
  • Seimens closed it’s entire solar division, losing about €1bn. Bosch is getting out too, it has lost about €2.4bn.
  • Solar investors have lost almost about €25bn in the past year. More than 5,000 companies associated with solar have closed since 2010.
  • Germany has phased out nuclear, but is adding 20 coal fired stations. Gas power can’t compete with cheap coal or subsidized renewables and 20% of gas power plants are facing shutdown.
  • Despite the river of money paid to renewables, emissions have risen in Germany for the last two years.
Why am I not surprised.
While renewable energy sources are a good idea, their cost is prohibitive. These technologies can only be introduced to the consumer when heavily subsidized by taxes and fees. Eventually, as the cost to produce the technology out paces the ability to raise taxes for subsidies, the manufacturers can no longer turn a profit on the manufacture and sale of the products so the end result is they get out of the business.

Government wants to pick winners and losers. Unfortunately it only picks losers. If we let gov't dictate future technology we would all be listening to our 8 tracks now.

Let's hope, in about 20-25 years, private industry will look into renewable energy and be able to make it work.........for a profit. Hell, maybe there's someone out there right now tinkering around with something.

Let's hope, in about 20-25 years, private industry will look into renewable energy and be able to make it work.........for a profit. Hell, maybe there's someone out there right now tinkering around with something.

Here's my take.
I believe there are existing technologies with which efficiency or pollution controls could be implemented. Those include Hydrogen and Methane for starters.
Heck cars could run on propane, natural gas, hydrogen of methane right now.
Here's the rub. Our economy and of course the world's economy is petroleum based. So many products are created with the use of petroleum or petro-chemicals.
The only way to keep petroleum profitable is to keep demand high.
Should these other sources be introduced into the energy mainstream, that would take a significant bite out of Petroleum industry profits. That would adversely affect economy.
For the same reasons, the US government continues to stifle its own oil production and refining capacity so that foreign oil, mainly from the Middle East must be imported.
The simplistic approach, my theory now, that imagine for a moment, the US announces that America was reached a point in domestic oil and gas production that the US would no longer be importing foreign petroleum. The would send shock waves through the OPEC nations. Economic turmoil in the oil rich Arab nations would result as the price of OPEC oil would collapse. Those governments would be a serious fiscal risk.
Quite frankly if Saudi Arabia and those other so called 'friendly to the US" nation's economies went in the crapper, I would not lose a wink of sleep.
I don't get to make that call.

Forum List

Back