Glen Fry dead at 67

Actually it was a collaboration.

Both Mr. Frey and Mr. Browne wrote that song.

Mr. Browne started writing that song for an album but didn't finish it. He was having trouble with it.

Mr. Frey finished it. And arranged it to what we know of today.

The Eagles released it first on their first album in 1972. Browne released it the next year, 1973.

They both were/are friends from a very long time ago.

What became the Eagles were the backup band for Browne, and for Lind Rondstadt. I wonder if she has commented, at one time she and Glenn were very close. Long time ago, but still.

Linda Ronstadt, whose backing band was the hub for the Eagles, remembers Glenn Frey

"We originally hired Glenn to replace Bernie Leadon, because he left my band to be in the Flying Burrito Brothers," Ronstadt told The Times on Monday, remembering what prompted her to draft Frey to be part of her backing band in the early 1970s.

At the time, Frey was just one of hundreds of aspiring musicians hanging around Hollywood searching for an outlet for his music. He'd come to L.A. from Detroit, and one of his early connections was with singer and songwriter J.D. Souther, another Detroit native who'd grown up in Amarillo, Texas, before venturing west. They formed a band called Longbranch Pennywhistle, which played McCabe's Guitar Shop in Santa Monica and the Troubadour in West Hollywood, among other local clubs that constituted a cauldron for the brewing L.A. music scene.

Ronstadt and Souther had dated, so she encountered Frey when he was still in Longbranch Pennywhistle. Ronstadt's manager, John Boylan, invited Henley to join Ronstadt's band after he'd relocated from Texas.

"They were all great musicians," Ronstadt said, "but what I was most interested in creating was a harmony band, and they were a great harmony band."

Linda Ronstadt, whose backing band was the hub for the Eagles, remembers Glenn Frey

I just watched a documentary on Netflix about the Eagles. I'm really loving these docs on bands and rock stars Netflix is showing.

I watched that also and came away with less then adoration for the two front men Henley and Frey.

What they did to the other FOUNDING MEMBERS of the band was shear arogance.

This article pretty much sums it up:

EXCLUSIVE: Eagles Fans Angered by New Documentary on the Band | The Reno Dispatch

That being said, I morn the loss of another great performer from my day as a young man.

I just watched a documentary on Netflix about the Eagles. I'm really loving these docs on bands and rock stars Netflix is showing.

I watched that also and came away with less then adoration for the two front men Henley and Frey.

EXCLUSIVE: Eagles Fans Angered by New Documentary on the Band | The Reno Dispatch

That being said, I morn the loss of another great performer from my day as a young man.

You mean Linda Rondstat? She was total class when they told her they were leaving. Love her.

You mean Linda Rondstat? She was total class when they told her they were leaving. Love her.

No, the way Frey treated Meisner and Felder. Read the article linked. Frey was not someone to be admired.

Again, he was an incredible talent, and I am sad to see him gone.

No, the way Frey treated Meisner and Felder. Read the article linked. Frey was not someone to be admired.

Thanks, no time to read it right now. He was a talent but the Eagles overall weren't all that interesting to me. I've seen several other rock 'n roll documentaries there lately that were really good. Check them out when you get a chance.

Thanks, no time to read it right now. He was a talent but the Eagles overall weren't all that interesting to me. I've seen several other rock 'n roll documentaries there lately that were really good. Check them out when you get a chance.

Which ones?

The ones on Kansas and Glenn Cambell were outstanding.

Which ones?

The ones on Kansas and Glenn Cambell were outstanding.

Stevie Nicks, Keith Richards, Blondie, one called Sunset Strip about that street and how it was in the 70s.

I saw Glenn Cambell, really good but I'll watch Kansas. Thanks.

Forum List

Back