Glen Fry dead at 67

The Eagles are the greatest rock band in history. This is a big loss.

Rest in peace Glenn.
I hardly think they surpass the assholes of Led Zeppelin....

Opinions vary.

For one thing, the Eagles wrote their own music.

They did, but interestingly, Jackson Browne wrote their first hit "Take It Easy".

Actually it was a collaboration.

Both Mr. Frey and Mr. Browne wrote that song.

Mr. Browne started writing that song for an album but didn't finish it. He was having trouble with it.

Mr. Frey finished it. And arranged it to what we know of today.

The Eagles released it first on their first album in 1972. Browne released it the next year, 1973.

They both were/are friends from a very long time ago.

the 70's

the stars aligned in the heavens

The greatest era of musicians and bands, to ever walk this Earth!

May Glen rest in peace.

This next decade is going to be brutal for the world of Rock.

4 of the 5 original Rolling Stones are still alive, Ringo and Paul McCartney, Clapton, Jimi Page, Robert Plant, the list goes on.
These guys are going to be dropping like flies.

Last edited:

Rest in peace Glenn.

Opinions vary.

They did, but interestingly, Jackson Browne wrote their first hit "Take It Easy".

Mr. Browne started writing that song for an album but didn't finish it. He was having trouble with it.

The Eagles released it first on their first album in 1972. Browne released it the next year, 1973.

Thank you, I didn't realize that.

Rest in peace Glenn.

Opinions vary.

Thank you, I didn't realize that.

Anytime.

It's part of my job to know stuff like that.

Here's a statement from Don Henley:

"He was like a brother to me; we were family, and like most families, there was some dysfunction. But, the bond we forged 45 years ago was never broken, even during the 14 years that the Eagles were dissolved. We were two young men who made the pilgrimage to Los Angeles with the same dream: to make our mark in the music industry -- and with perseverance, a deep love of music, our alliance with other great musicians and our manager, Irving Azoff, we built something that has lasted longer than anyone could have dreamed. But, Glenn was the one who started it all. He was the spark plug, the man with the plan. He had an encyclopedic knowledge of popular music and a work ethic that wouldn't quit. He was funny, bullheaded, mercurial, generous, deeply talented and driven. He loved is wife and kids more than anything. We are all in a state of shock, disbelief and profound sorrow. We brought our two-year 'History of the Eagles Tour' to a triumphant close at the end of July and now he is gone. I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some."

This phenomenon known as 2016 seems to be wasting no time killing people off, with most of them being sad losses..

Bob Seger on Glenn Frey: 'He Had a Drive, an Imagination and a Talent That Was Just Titanic'

Longtime friend Bob Seger pronounced himself “devastated” by the news of Glenn Frey’s death on Monday (Jan. 18).
“I knew him for 50 years,” an emotional Seger told Billboard. “He was a great kid. I always kind of thought of him as my baby brother, a little bit. He was f—ing brilliant. He was a joy to be around. I always looked forward to seeing him. It was always memorable. He had an amazing sense of humor and was just smart, whip-smart.”
Bob Seger on Glenn Frey: 'He Had a Drive, an Imagination and a Talent That Was Just Titanic'

A perfect day, the sun is sinkin' low
As evening falls, the gentle breezes blow
The time we shared went by so fast
Just like a dream, we knew it couldn't last
But I'd do it all again
If I could, somehow
But I must be leavin' soon
It's your world now

It's your world now
My race is run
I'm moving on
Like the setting sun
No sad goodbyes
No tears allowed
You'll be alright
It's your world now

Even when we are apart
You'll always be in my heart
When dark clouds appear in the sky
Remember true love never dies

But first a kiss, one glass of wine
Just one more dance while there's still time
My one last wish: someday, you'll see
How hard I tried and how much you meant to me

It's your world now
Use well your time
Be part of something good
Leave something good behind
The curtain falls
I take my bow
That's how it's meant to be
It's your world now
It's your world now
It's your world now

Is it just me or does anyone else dislike the Eagles?

I like the Eagles, but I don't think they amounted to much beyond a cash generating machine.

For example, I can't remember the last time I went to YouTube searching for Eagles songs. Because I never did. lol

WinslowAZ.jpg

Rest in Peace, or rather, Take it Easy.

OMG Another great one dead.

The Eagles put out some great music and Fry was one hell of an artist.

RIP

If you must merge the threads, at least keep my title. The name was spelled right.

Glenn Frey.

We're loosing a whole generation. David Bowie hit me the hardest. His songs reminded me of the 70's and 80's during my teenage years and twenties when I was a cokehead. Drag racing, car crashes, hot girls, great music, hey, I'm still like that! Just kidding... Mentally of course.

But it's a stark reminder of your own mortality.

Yeah too bad the hot girls are no more too.

The music today is so fucking disappointing. And I'm not talking like geezers. But it's all just black / rap crap music. Back then we had distinct genres, we had led Zeppelin, Rush, Boston, Eagles, Styx, Duran Duran, Soft cell, Flock of Seagulls, B-52's, Devo, Depche Mode, New Order, Steve Miller Band, etc. all very distinct yet great music.

I saw a post on Facebook not to long ago that went something like, "No I'm not too old, your music really does suck today". So true.

RIP Glenn Frey. What a great musician.

Former Eagle Don Felder mourns death of Glenn Frey

NEW YORK (AP) — Don Felder had still not given up on speaking again to Glenn Frey.
The former Eagles guitarist, estranged from Frey and the other band members since he was forced out in 2001, told The Associated Press that he felt "unbelievable sorrow" when he learned of Frey's death.
"He was kind of like the James Dean of the band, the coolest guy. He was the leader and everybody looked up to him," Felder said Tuesday of Frey, who died Monday at age 67 after battling a variety of health problems. The two had clashed often, most memorably during a 1980 concert that led to the Eagles' initial breakup, but Felder said he remembered Frey most for the music they made together and for the "laughter and the parties."
"I had always hoped somewhere along the line, he and I would have dinner together, talking about old times and letting it go with a handshake and a hug."
As Felder recalled Tuesday, and wrote in his memoir "Heaven and Hell," Frey was the Eagle who called and invited him to join the band back in 1974. Originally a quartet featuring Frey and Don Henley, the band was turning from the country-bluegrass roots of its first two records and looking for a hard rock sound. Felder, an old friend of founding Eagle Bernie Leadon, played a session with the group and soon became a full-time member.
"The band wasn't about private jets and limos and the Ritz Carlton in those days," he said. "We were playing state fairs and colleges, driving rent a cars and flying coach."
Felder played on such million-selling albums as "One of These Nights," ''Hotel California" and "The Long Run." His greatest moment with the group was composing the musical for the title track to "Hotel California" and watching Henley's face light up when he listened to the demo. "Hotel California" became a signature song for the group, capped off by dueling solos between Felder and Joe Walsh.
But from the start there was tension, brought on unintentionally by Felder. Leadon had a background in country and bluegrass and became unhappy with the Eagles' new direction. By 1975, he had left and was replaced by another rock guitarist, Walsh.
Founding bassist Randy Meisner clashed with Frey during a show in 1977 and soon quit, succeeded by Timothy B. Schmit. Felder had his own conflicts, in part from his desire to write and sing more, and in 1980 almost came to blows with Frey after a concert in Long Beach, California.
The band reunited in 1994, but Felder would clash with Frey and Henley about money and he was fired in 2001. Legal action followed, settled out of court, but Frey and the other Eagles cut off ties to Felder. He said Tuesday that he had not been in contact for years with Frey, Henley, Walsh or Schmit despite efforts to reach them.
After finding out Frey was dead, he did receive a call from Meisner, who has had his own health battles in recent years.
"He was in tears," Felder said.

well bernie was the lead until felder came along,he brought him to the band telling everyone he is a much better guitarist and to take his place because he wanted to leave....bernie was way to country to stay with them in the direction they were going....saw an interview with randy meisner,this is what he claimed....

Pretty much what the Netflix documentary says as well.

NEW YORK (AP) — Don Felder had still not given up on speaking again to Glenn Frey.
The former Eagles guitarist, estranged from Frey and the other band members since he was forced out in 2001, told The Associated Press that he felt "unbelievable sorrow" when he learned of Frey's death.
"He was kind of like the James Dean of the band, the coolest guy. He was the leader and everybody looked up to him," Felder said Tuesday of Frey, who died Monday at age 67 after battling a variety of health problems. The two had clashed often, most memorably during a 1980 concert that led to the Eagles' initial breakup, but Felder said he remembered Frey most for the music they made together and for the "laughter and the parties."
"I had always hoped somewhere along the line, he and I would have dinner together, talking about old times and letting it go with a handshake and a hug."
As Felder recalled Tuesday, and wrote in his memoir "Heaven and Hell," Frey was the Eagle who called and invited him to join the band back in 1974. Originally a quartet featuring Frey and Don Henley, the band was turning from the country-bluegrass roots of its first two records and looking for a hard rock sound. Felder, an old friend of founding Eagle Bernie Leadon, played a session with the group and soon became a full-time member.
"The band wasn't about private jets and limos and the Ritz Carlton in those days," he said. "We were playing state fairs and colleges, driving rent a cars and flying coach."
Felder played on such million-selling albums as "One of These Nights," ''Hotel California" and "The Long Run." His greatest moment with the group was composing the musical for the title track to "Hotel California" and watching Henley's face light up when he listened to the demo. "Hotel California" became a signature song for the group, capped off by dueling solos between Felder and Joe Walsh.
But from the start there was tension, brought on unintentionally by Felder. Leadon had a background in country and bluegrass and became unhappy with the Eagles' new direction. By 1975, he had left and was replaced by another rock guitarist, Walsh.
Founding bassist Randy Meisner clashed with Frey during a show in 1977 and soon quit, succeeded by Timothy B. Schmit. Felder had his own conflicts, in part from his desire to write and sing more, and in 1980 almost came to blows with Frey after a concert in Long Beach, California.
The band reunited in 1994, but Felder would clash with Frey and Henley about money and he was fired in 2001. Legal action followed, settled out of court, but Frey and the other Eagles cut off ties to Felder. He said Tuesday that he had not been in contact for years with Frey, Henley, Walsh or Schmit despite efforts to reach them.
After finding out Frey was dead, he did receive a call from Meisner, who has had his own health battles in recent years.
"He was in tears," Felder said.

May the Lord be with the remaining members of the act.

God bless you and them always!!!

Holly

What became the Eagles were the backup band for Browne, and for Lind Rondstadt. I wonder if she has commented, at one time she and Glenn were very close. Long time ago, but still.

Forum List

Back