Glenn Reynolds: Raise Voting Age To 25 After Yale, Mizzou…

Stephanie

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2004
After how these KIDS were duped into voting for Obama and seeing how they can allow themselves to be USED as pawns for outside agitators. I think this is a good idea. Who wants some CHILD to make all your life's decisions for you? My 18year old wouldn't be making mine. There isn't a draft anymore so lets RAISE it like yesterday.

SNIP:
How can students too spoiled to tolerate debate weigh opposing political arguments? They can't.
991 TWEET 16 LINKEDIN 194 COMMENTEMAILMORE

In 1971, the United States ratified the 26th Amendment, lowering the voting age from 21 to 18. In retrospect, that may have been a mistake.

The idea, in those Vietnam War years, was that 18-year-olds, being old enough to be drafted, to marry and to serve on juries, deserved a vote. It seemed plausible at the time, and I myself have argued that we should set the drinking age at 18 for the same reasons.

But now I’m starting to reconsider. To be a voter, one must be able to participate in adult political discussions. It’s necessary to be able to listen to opposing arguments and even — as I’m doing right here in this column — to change your mind in response to new evidence.

But now the evidence suggests that, whatever one might say about the 18-year-olds of 1971, the 18-year-olds of today aren’t up to that task. And even the 21-year-olds aren’t looking so good.

Consider Yale University, where a disagreement over what to do about — theoretically — offensive Halloween costumes devolved into a screaming fit by a Yale senior (old enough to vote, thanks to the 26th Amendment) who assaulted a professor with a profane tirade because the professor's failure to agree with her made her feel ... unsafe.

all of it here:

Glenn Reynolds: After Yale, Mizzou, raise the voting age — to 25

Every single student at any of those college protests is far more capable of casting an informed vote than the OP of this thread is.

The idea that young people shouldn't vote is a great one to the conservative "movement".....which is dying of old age.

Good points. Especially the reasoning to lower the voting age to 18 because of the draft for the vietnam war.

It'll never happen, though...the marxists are too deeply infiltrated into our gvmt and have too much power now, partly because of naive, immature, easily manipulated, emotionally fragile, "angry" kiddies like these, to expect them to give it up. Those kids have seen that "social activism" can be a career if they create enough disturbances and get enough attention.
The target du jour is white culture, heritage and traditions...because they're all "racist"...and since "racism" is merely a blanket excuse for any negro dysfunction the "fight" against "white racists" can be eternal...
As it is they're tactic is to define/redefine the terms and set the parameters of the narrative to suit them and their "cause".

Typical angry children throwing tantrums to get their way...and the adults stand aside and wring their hands and fret over how not to offend the kiddies.

Certainly when you have liberals running our entire education system, and teaching kids they have a right to never be offended, you're going to have a lot of immature kids with no experience of how to deal with disagreements.
The #2 post is a prime example of that immaturity.

Meh. I think it's already too late. Liberalism is a cancer. Squash it early or it will kill the host.

Well...America just got diagnosed with Stage 4 liberalism. Prognosis negative.

It would take a Constitutional Amendment, AND it is a very very stupid stupid stupid idea.

Conservatives need to STOP THISS BULL CRAP, of trying to win elections by disenfranchising the votes of American citizens....

GET some ideas, run better candidates..... is always out of the question....it's always them trying to find a way to CHEAT by disenfranchising voters.....shame on you all....

"Glenn Reynolds: Raise Voting Age To 25 After Yale, Mizzou…"

Completely ridiculous and unwarranted – this is typical of the wrongheaded nonsense we've come to expect from conservatives.

Student protesters have done nothing 'wrong' to warrant losing their right to vote; and that some on the right would seek punitive measures against those who exercise their First Amendment rights motivated solely by their opposition to why the students are protesting illustrates just how reprehensible many conservatives are.

It would take a Constitutional Amendment, AND it is a very very stupid stupid stupid idea.

Conservatives need to STOP THISS BULL CRAP, of trying to win elections by disenfranchising the votes of American citizens....

GET some ideas, run better candidates..... is always out of the question....it's always them trying to find a way to CHEAT by disenfranchising voters.....shame on you all....
And trying to win elections by contriving and propagating lies in an effort to vilify and demonize their opposition.

oh for crying out loud. it was one persons OPONION, so how does that turn into ALL CONSERVATIVES trying to oppress people? you sound just like the people on this college campuses.

It's Sounds good to me though. since the kids of today don't seem mature enough to handle not being offended over a Halloween costume and even some damn cotton balls.

oh for crying out loud. it was one persons OPONION, so how does that turn into ALL CONSERVATIVES trying to oppress people? you sound just like the people on this college campuses.

It's Sounds good to me though. since the kids of today don't seem mature enough to handle not being offended over a Halloween costume and even some damn cotton balls.
You are not paying attention to it all Stephanie, it isn't just this one person's opinion....it's a STRATEGY of the right wing.... reduce legitimate voters by not allowing student ids as an I'd to vote, by cutting voting hours and days, by gvt issued only, voter ids, by raising the voting age, you name it, Repubs are trying to do it.....CUT OUT USA citizens from voting.

You are not paying attention to it all Stephanie, it isn't just this one person's opinion....it's a STRATEGY of the right wing.... reduce legitimate voters by not allowing student ids as an I'd to vote, by cutting voting hours and days, by gvt issued only, voter ids, by raising the voting age, you name it, Repubs are trying to do it.....CUT OUT USA citizens from voting.

oh boy, I can not believe you of all people has bought into this crap. I used to think you were one of the saner libs here. well not anymore. sorry

There might not be a draft, but young men and women under the age of 25 fill the ranks of our military. The day after Veterans Day the OP is suggesting that one of these young Americans be disqualified from voting after coming home from military service, possibly injured and facing life-long difficulties from those injuries.

Meh. I think it's already too late. Liberalism is a cancer. Squash it early or it will kill the host.

Well...America just got diagnosed with Stage 4 liberalism. Prognosis negative.
well the cross groveling crackers are in the circling the drain stage

There might not be a draft, but young men and women under the age of 25 fill the ranks of our military. The day after Veterans Day the OP is suggesting that one of these young Americans be disqualified from voting after coming home from military service, possibly injured and facing life-long difficulties from those injuries.
They don't have to volunteer. The op referenced the vietnam war and 18 year olds because there was a draft and 18 yr olds could be drafted.

save all the pseudo indignation and outrage...

Every single student at any of those college protests is far more capable of casting an informed vote than the OP of this thread is.

The idea that young people shouldn't vote is a great one to the conservative "movement".....which is dying of old age.

yeah....just watching them in action shows how wrong you are.....

fantasies....try reality sometime...

Why are Conservatives always so into preventing people they don't agree with from voting?

No...it is the democrats who did that....we simply want to keep the democrats from cheating all the time...voter i.d.....a drivers license...yeah..simply to show that you are who you are...and if you are unable to get a drivers license the state will drive to your home, and give you an i.d. for free...yeah..a real burden to protect the vote.

My idea....we should do as they do in Iraq and Afghanistan....after you vote they dip your finger in ink...then you don't have to worry about any i.d......and you just show your fingers before you vote to show you aren't trying to cheat......

Forum List

Back