Global warming linked to increase in rapes

Here is where I stand, the study is stupid for claiming that correlation is causation, and that the historical correlation between crime and temperature will lead to a future increase in crimes, specifically, rape.

Finally, after exhaustive effort, I get you to state a point. One that I even find some merit with. Was that really so hard? Why can't you just skip all the weaseling and state a point right at the start?

I mean, it's the very first time you stated the point. Your OP just sneered at Mother Jones and mysterious "global warming alarmists" for simply mentioning the study existed. That's not making a point, that's casting slurs.

Did you try asking, or did you just assume you had all the answers?

By the way, it wasn't the first time, it was just the first time I bitch slapped you with it.

And predicted an increase in the crime rates in 100 years because of global warming.

By the way, he who always defends warming alarmists, according to all the experts the US has been getting warmer for the last 20 years, but crime rates are actually going down.

Maybe you should try reading. I know it is a new thing, but it usually works pretty well for those of us that do it.

My guess is that your head is spinning because you went from defending the study, to claiming it didn't say what I said it did, and are now in the position of actually admitting it says exactly what I said.
Yes, yes, your standard attempt to drag every argument down to word parsing. It's boring and pathetic on your part, and no one cares.

This wasn't you?

There are people who wonder why I sneer at global warming alarmists.

We don't wonder. We know you're a loyal partisan fanatic who wouldn't dare bleat out of sync with his herd. Your cult requires you to chant various mantras, and global warming denial is one of those mantras.

What, you didn't think you were actually fooling anyone with your "I'm an independent" charade, did you?

Now, if you'd like to discuss the science, we could do that. In this case, it comes down to whether you believe increasing temperature results in increasing crime. If that is the case, then the study is accurate. While crime is correlated with rising temperature, there's still a question as to the degree, and whether causation exists.

How about this?

I posted it to make the point that alarmists are idiots.,

Yet the point you proved was how you're such a loyal parrot concerning any talking points that you GOP masters hand you, and how upset you get when anyone laughs at you for doing that. Well done.

Or this?

QM here is making an error by assuming that only a single factor can explain all crime. No one else on the thread or in the study is making such an error.

The biggest factor in dropping crime rates is the removal of leaded gasoline, lead paint and lead in plumbing, leading to the gradual removal of lead from the environment. But almost nobody on any side wants to admit that, since everyone wants to claim that whatever cause they've been championing for decades is what really caused crime to drop.

If you actually agree with the point I had all the way through this thread, why did your position on it change so much? Is it because you reacted to my scorn of anything that remotely touched on your sacred caw as blasphemy?

Did I not mention I don't play your boring and dishonest word parsing games? Is there something I need to dumb down further for you?

Yes, your games mightily impress at least one person, yourself. Good luck with that legend-in-your-own-mind thing. Now, don't you have some new GOP talking point to parrot? Your masters might notice if you get behind in your quota.

A higher potential level of moisture within the atmosphere certainly is caused by a warmer air mass. Wouldn't you agree?

Avg as cold as much of the plains and Midwest does during the winter you start to understand why it causes more snow.

AGW morons claim everything is caused by global warming.

The ONLY thing AGW fools REALLY care about is the monthly grant check.

Last edited:
Did I not mention I don't play your boring and dishonest word parsing games? Is there something I need to dumb down further for you?

Yes, your games mightily impress at least one person, yourself. Good luck with that legend-in-your-own-mind thing. Now, don't you have some new GOP talking point to parrot? Your masters might notice if you get behind in your quota.

Word parsing is caused by global warming.

Snow is caused by global warming!

A higher potential level of moisture within the atmosphere certainly is caused by a warmer air mass. Wouldn't you agree?

Avg as cold as much of the plains and Midwest does during the winter you start to understand why it causes more snow.

Higher potential level of moisture?

Last time I checked, the highest potential level of moisture was 100%. Will it go up to 110% if it gets warmer?

Translation.

You are smarter than me, and the fact that I keep managing to prove the opposite has no more impact on your opinion than the fact that all of the climate models that predict massive increases in warmth in the future have failed when compared to actual real world temperatures today.

Snow is caused by global warming!

Last time I checked, the highest potential level of moisture was 100%. Will it go up to 110% if it gets warmer?

Hot air expands, and rises; cooled air contracts--gets denser--and sinks; and the ability of the air to hold water depends on its temperature. A given volume of air at 20°C (68°F) can hold twice the amount of water vapor than at 10°C (50°F). The relationship of how much water a given mass of air actually holds compared to the amount it can hold is its relative humidity. When air holds as much water vapor as it can for a given temperature (100% relative humidity), it is said to be saturated. If saturated air is warmed, it can hold more water (relative humidity drops), which is why warm air is used to dry objects--it absorbs moisture. On the other hand, cooling saturated air (said to be at its dew point) forces water out (condensation). This is why a can of cold soda sweats: it cools the air next to it and moisture from the air condenses on the outside of the can.
So, air warmed by ocean currents picks up a lot of moisture. As the heated air rises, it expands, which is measured at the surface as low air pressure. Expanding air cools, which forces it to lose its moisture as rain or snow.

The opposite is true for sinking air. Such air compresses and warms. In a zone of high pressure like this, moisture is absorbed by the air from its surroundings.

https://sealevel.jpl.nasa.gov/overview/overviewclimate/overviewclimateair/

The same can be said between a temperature of 10f and 25f. ;)

EG_7e_Figure_05_09_L.jpg

http://geogrify.net/GEO1/Images/Geosystems/EG_7e_Figure_05_09_L.jpg

Hot air expands, and rises; cooled air contracts--gets denser--and sinks; and the ability of the air to hold water depends on its temperature. A given volume of air at 20°C (68°F) can hold twice the amount of water vapor than at 10°C (50°F). The relationship of how much water a given mass of air actually holds compared to the amount it can hold is its relative humidity. When air holds as much water vapor as it can for a given temperature (100% relative humidity), it is said to be saturated. If saturated air is warmed, it can hold more water (relative humidity drops), which is why warm air is used to dry objects--it absorbs moisture. On the other hand, cooling saturated air (said to be at its dew point) forces water out (condensation). This is why a can of cold soda sweats: it cools the air next to it and moisture from the air condenses on the outside of the can.
So, air warmed by ocean currents picks up a lot of moisture. As the heated air rises, it expands, which is measured at the surface as low air pressure. Expanding air cools, which forces it to lose its moisture as rain or snow.

The opposite is true for sinking air. Such air compresses and warms. In a zone of high pressure like this, moisture is absorbed by the air from its surroundings.
https://sealevel.jpl.nasa.gov/overview/overviewclimate/overviewclimateair/

The same can be said between a temperature of 10f and 25f. ;)

You claimed that the potential level of moisture increases as the temperaure in creases, now you are saying that the relative humidity drops. Only one of those statements is true.

Um spunky?

You seem to not grasp that as snow falls, the temperature MUST remain colder than freezing, all the way to the ground....

I know that ThinkProgress doesn't have a graph on this, but even so.....

Who said the temperature goes above freeze, asshole? I just said the avg temperature in parts of this country could go from a certain temperature to a new certain temperature...If it is up ---> more moisture in the atmosphere.

You're right that if it goes above freezing more often = countering the amount of snowfall. On the other hand if it is already 15f for the avg and you go to 18f. I highly doubt that's going to matter very much.

Nasa and every single Atmospheric text book will explain such processes.

Relative humidity is the ratio of the partial pressure of water vapor in an air-water mixture to the saturated vapor pressure of water at a prescribed temperature. The relative humidity of air depends on temperature and the pressure of the system of interest.

A gas in this context is referred to as saturated when the vapor pressure of water in the air is at the equilibrium vapor pressure for water vapor at the temperature of the gas and water vapor mixture; liquid water (and ice, at the appropriate temperature) will fail to lose mass through evaporation when exposed to saturated air. It may also correspond to the possibility of dew or fog forming, within a space that lacks temperature differences among its portions, for instance in response to decreasing temperature. Fog consists of very minute droplets of liquid, primarily held aloft by isostatic motion (in other words, the droplets fall through the air at terminal velocity, but as they are very small, this terminal velocity is very small too, so it doesn't look to us like they are falling, and they seem to be held aloft).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relative_humidity

Not much difference between the airs ability to hold moisture and relative humanity!

Um spunky?

You seem to not grasp that as snow falls, the temperature MUST remain colder than freezing, all the way to the ground....

I know that ThinkProgress doesn't have a graph on this, but even so.....

Who said the temperature goes above freeze, asshole? I just said the avg temperature in parts of this country could go from a certain temperature to a new certain temperature...If it is up ---> more moisture in the atmosphere.

You're right that if it goes above freezing more often = countering the amount of snowfall. On the other hand if it is already 15f for the avg and you go to 18f. I highly doubt that's going to matter very much.

Nasa and every single Atmospheric text book will explain such processes.

The actual intelligent argument in defense of global warming is that, on the average, there are fewer major winter storms than before. Would it help if I used a cartoon?

cold.png

Forum List

Back