GM Volt! Is it the solution to Foreign Oil?

If you like the Tesla you like this one too...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKEijlYSm0U&feature=related]YouTube - Lightning GT EV[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTKexaylnt4&NR=1]YouTube - Tesla Roadster Wins Four Car Drag Race[/ame]

Interesting that these EV cars can be fast as well.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeHYZz9LzHY]YouTube - High Voltage? Chevy Volt Driven in Detroit[/ame]

This is Edmunds eval on the Volt which is pretty impressive too.

I'm all for better gas mileage cars. but if we all go to electric cars won't that drive up the demand for electric and pollution? Can our current electrical system handle that? Electric bills go through the roof?

Seems like it might create even worse and more expensive problems to fix and worry about. Are these good questions? hell I don't know. What say you?

I have a plan for that also!

http://www.usmessageboard.com/1331597-post126.html

Here is the break down of our energy sources:
Keep Our Fuel Mix Diverse
Coal - 49%
Natural Gas - 19.9%
Nuclear - 19.4%
Hydropower - 6.9%
Non-hydro-renewable (Solar, wind, biomass) - 3.1%
Oil - 1.6%

GHook's Energy Efficiency, Greenhouse gas reducing Plan:
(1) I agree with Boone, promote solar and wind and get it up at least 25% (up from 3%). I think we are tapped at 7% in hydro. So green renewables are at 32%. Eventually have solar, hydro and wind produce 50% (I know I hope for too much)
(2) For god's sake increase Nuclear: Use more nuclear power. There is no reason nuclear power shouldn't constitute 50% of our power. Nuclear power produces no emission, no air pollution, no water pollution, no CO2 and produces a ton of energy! France uses it to power its country why don't we. We have plenty of Uranium. And there are methods of recycling toxic waste. I mean how many years are we going to let 3 mile Island scare us into not using nuclear energy.
(3) The last 18% should first be powered via natural gas and the remainder of coal. Therefore if we can get wind and solar to my pipe-dream 25%, keep hydro at 7% and get to what it should be at 50%, with natural gas at 18% you are talking about replacing the biggest culprit in Coal!
(4) I agree with Pickens, upgrade the electricity grid. Its need for a make over. Its vulnerable to terrorist attacks. Efficiency will save money. Ungrading it will provide many long-term high paying jobs.
(5) Give home owner tax credits for attaching solar panels to their homes. We are already doing this and solar panel are becoming a booming business

Will those pull my boat? Damn. Didn't think so.

Tesla's 'Bluestar' to be all-electric family car | Green Tech - CNET News

From the same technology base, Tesla intends to develop a series of vehicles including a minivan, coupe, and light pick-up truck which could be used in fleets, Straubel said.

Maybe just keep your boat in water where its supposed to be! :eusa_whistle:

LOL. I'm not that fortunate. I wish that was the case. Norris lake TN is where it would stay.

The Tesla is a good looking car. Although I can't imagine taken my family of 5 on vacation in that thing. Great drive around town car though.

Why they claim there is room for 5 adults and 2 children (probably a latch down in the trunk. They also claim its more room than a station wagon. What did they say 300 miles. That could get you a long way, except you better pray you find an outlet when you stop!

The right wingers will ALWAYS find some fault with plug in electrics. Does it fit 20 people? Can it tow a semi truck trailer? Can it go 5,000 miles w/o a charge? Can it FLOAT? Will it make my penis larger? et al.

Wait wait, the electric car won't make my penis bigger, that's it I am jumping ship. Back to worshiping gas motors for me!

Well cold I hate to burst your bubble here *laughs* but I'm a republican and see nothing at all wrong with these EV cars and trucks in fact it's my belief that with this sort of technology in conjunction with the application of an overall energy plan that uses nuclear, wind, solar, domestic oil, clean coal, and basically every other energy source we have it will give this nation finally a ticket to tell OPEC goodbye. There are several things that are positive in this and one is the sheer number of jobs that such a plan would bring to this nation should it be allowed to come online. Still others, would be to take the power of funding away from these nations that don't like us so much.

Well cold I hate to burst your bubble here *laughs* but I'm a republican and see nothing at all wrong with these EV cars and trucks in fact it's my belief that with this sort of technology in conjunction with the application of an overall energy plan that uses nuclear, wind, solar, domestic oil, clean coal, and basically every other energy source we have it will give this nation finally a ticket to tell OPEC goodbye. There are several things that are positive in this and one is the sheer number of jobs that such a plan would bring to this nation should it be allowed to come online. Still others, would be to take the power of funding away from these nations that don't like us so much.

I dare say you are the exception not the rule but I have to say I agree 100% with this post.

Forum List

Back