GMO Labeling Poll

Do you think food items containing GMO's need to be labeled as such?

• I'm a Conservative - GMO's do need to be labeled

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I'm a liberal, and I think anti-Monsanto and anti-GMO conspiracy stances make liberals look irrational.

Every human and farm animal in the USA has been eating GMO for the past 20 years. It's not a problem. Labeling would make food more expensive, and serves no useful purpose.

Monsanto is one agricorp, and not even close to the biggest one. They all use GMO. Criticizing Monsanto for certain business practices may have some validity, but criticizing Monsanto for using GMO is not valid, not unless someone explains why they give every other agricorp a free pass.

Seeing as how this topic is widely supported by the public (I think I see most polls with ~90% support, feel free to post polls showing otherwise), I'd like to find how how people here think about this topic.

The DARK Act currently going through congress would prohibit this labeling even at the state level.

Monsanto s Dream Pro-GMO DARK Act Comes to Congress Common Dreams Breaking News Views for the Progressive Community
This shit is not even allowed here and your gov´t wants you to not to know what is in your food?

Seeing as how this topic is widely supported by the public (I think I see most polls with ~90% support, feel free to post polls showing otherwise), I'd like to find how how people here think about this topic.

The DARK Act currently going through congress would prohibit this labeling even at the state level.

Monsanto s Dream Pro-GMO DARK Act Comes to Congress Common Dreams Breaking News Views for the Progressive Community

80% of food in the US is GMO'd. Not the worst idea if only to let us know. Not like we have much choice of course.

GMO food isn't necessarily bad besides. Could reduce the bad things in foods like cholesterol, fat, etc. conceivably. I just want the option of picking a non-GMO brand by knowing which ones are GMO.

Mankind has been genetically modifying the food we eat from the time when the Neanderthals first planted seeds. Almost every single food we eat in the 21st century is immensely different from the original strains.

Let's take one example, that big plump turkey on your table.

monterey-rio-turkeys_186_8661.jpg

Or this original:

Wild_turkey_eastern_us.jpg

If anyone wants non-GMO, buy something labeled "organic", which is already required to be GMO-free.

Of course, it will cost more. That infrastructure to keep the two different types of food separate all through the chain has a big cost. And mandating that requirement for the entire food supply would make the whole food supply cost more.

Manufacturers may freely label their foods with labels such as "organic" or "kosher", assuming they meet the requirements set by a third-party standards organizaton. However, we don't mandate that food be labeled "non-kosher" or "non-organic", as those are the defaults. If someone wants to label their food as "GMO Free", then more power to them. But since GMO is the standard, we shouldn't mandate a "GMO included" label.

Mankind has been genetically modifying the food we eat from the time when the Neanderthals first planted seeds. Almost every single food we eat in the 21st century is immensely different from the original strains.

Let's take one example, that big plump turkey on your table.

monterey-rio-turkeys_186_8661.jpg

Or this original:

Wild_turkey_eastern_us.jpg
Those turkeys are the same. One is just puffed up.

THIS is what humans have created, that we eat for Thanksgiving:

AFP_Getty-156801433_1.jpg

Ugly, but it still tastes good :dunno:

I'm a liberal, and I think anti-Monsanto and anti-GMO conspiracy stances make liberals look irrational.

Every human and farm animal in the USA has been eating GMO for the past 20 years. It's not a problem. Labeling would make food more expensive, and serves no useful purpose.

Monsanto is one agricorp, and not even close to the biggest one. They all use GMO. Criticizing Monsanto for certain business practices may have some validity, but criticizing Monsanto for using GMO is not valid, not unless someone explains why they give every other agricorp a free pass.

Yea, as a moderate I'm not certain GMO's are this big problem that they have been made up to be. I do have some mistrust of Monsanto, but I'm not even sure how warranted that is. Surprisingly, Bill Nye has even changed his stance on GMO's.

Bill Nye Explains Why He Changed His Mind About GMOs

Okay libs don't faint...but our food supply is one area where we do need big government to oversee and police. As for GMO maybe its safe or maybe its a horror story in the making time will tell. Given how frequently humans error I don't feel warm and fuzzy over our mucking around with this.

Will you anti-GMO types provide us with ONE item of food that has NOT been modified by Man? :rolleyes:

Will you anti-GMO types provide us with ONE item of food that has NOT been modified by Man? :rolleyes:
Tuna. Although I suppose you could say it's been modified in that it now contains mercury and that their average size has drastically fallen. Good job humans.

Forum List

Back