Go Woke lose close to 200 million dollars...Spielberg's Woke "West Side Story," bombs, bigly, at the box office...

Good analysis by one of the best critics out there.....John Nolte...

Here you have a classic piece of Americana, a beloved property, an iconic chunk of our shared culture that not only won ten Oscars, including Best Picture but is also still beloved; and like some superior, smug jerk straight out of Orwell’s 1984, Spielberg decides he needs to correct something that, by any moral measure, does not need correcting.

Even what the fascist woketards see as the original movie’s greatest sin — casting Natalie Wood as Maria — is nothing less than a crybaby lament. There was nothing at all immoral about that casting choice. On the contrary, Natalie Wood’s portrayal was perfectly respectful.

The result? To the surprise of no one who understands human nature, Spielberg’s “correction,” which cost $100 million to produce and at least as much to promote, is a box office catastrophe.

----
Woke is a lie, and when art lies, it fails. In order to succeed, art must, in some way, speak to a larger truth; even if it’s a truth as generalized as our human desire for revenge, truth matters. Once you go woke, once you violate human nature (especially with biology and sexuality), you’ve created propaganda, which is as disposable and forgettable and boring as a used tissue.

Woke is so destructive, entire IPs are getting wiped out at the box office. Full-fledged franchises are now dead… Woke has destroyed one golden goose after another…

Some believe this was a property that didn't require a remake, so they're not all that interested in a 2.0.

Pretty simple.

These things tend to happen when these woke people think they can do better job on the movie than the people who made the classic. They never can.

Spielberg directed it but he did not write it. Richard Matheson wrote Duel. Spielberg only interpreted what was written. His first directing gig was the episode "Eyes" in the 2 hour Night Gallery pilot which was written by Rod Serling.
Night Gallery had several great episodes

There is nothing woke about the movie. You guys cheer success and failure based on people’s politics. It’s a sickness. Spielberg is a tool and Kyle Whittingham is a hero? What the fuck is wrong with you morons? Grow a brain and a dick.

Musicals rarely do well. Plus even the best movies are doing OK for much shorter runs. Spider-Man will be a good test of theater strength.
Amen.

There is nothing woke about the movie. You guys cheer success and failure based on people’s politics. It’s a sickness. Spielberg is a tool and Kyle Whittingham is a hero? What the fuck is wrong with you morons? Grow a brain and a dick.

Musicals rarely do well. Plus even the best movies are doing OK for much shorter runs. Spider-Man will be a good test of theater strength.
Kyle Whittingham? Who the fuck is that?

The article says the movie is failing because "Woke is a lie, and when art lies, it fails. In order to succeed, art must, in some way, speak to a larger truth... "

Good, but I think there's another issue, the one I give so many Woke books bad reviews for: they are preaching.
Tendentious is the long word for that, but nobody likes preaching. The line quoted above about black cop killers is a preachy line.

I don't watch Woke movies!! And I throw out Woke books and give them bad reviews. I suggest everyone do this! A lot of people already are: and I do think it's making a difference. The reviews most marked as "helpful" on Amazon tell the truth about this kind of thing. People then don't buy the book -- and they are saying why.

Something every artist has to understand is that serving their art has to be the highest priority, or the art suffers. Woke artists have made their art merely a tool in service of something else, and it shows.

Especially for a substandard poor excuse for entertainment.
That too, if my life depended on it I could not recall a single movie that is currently showing at the theater.

I used to be quite the theater goer to my Podunk town's 3-screen theater as it's just a half-mile away and much cheaper than the multi-plex theaters that are, on average, 20+ miles away.

Of course the covid shut then all down for better than a year.....I just lost interest.

Some believe this was a property that didn't require a remake, so they're not all that interested in a 2.0.

Pretty simple.
The remake actually makes more sense than the original. Tony now has a reason to have left the Jets. The fact that the neighborhood is going to be demolished for urban renewal in weeks just shows the futility of gang life, the Sharks and Jets are fighting over turf that will shortly disappear. Like most stage musicals, the original was a vehicle for the songs with little background or character development.

Just a thought.....

Make a good movie with a good script, good acting, and good directing.

Fuck PUSHING this stupid WOKE bullshit.

IT DOES NOT WORK.

I find myself not watching much TV and fewer movies now because of all this woke bullshit.

I turn off any TV show or movie where the main character is Black or there are inter racial couples. The same with queers. It is always disgusting to see the White person's best friend to always be some Black shithead.

I don't watch much TV any more because of the diversity of the cast. What I do watch is mainly historical, retro or nature. Forget about network shows.

Almost all TV commercials now are Black. Good luck with the companies trying to get Blacks to buy their stuff. The Blacks may loot it but they don't have the purchasing power.

Hollywood has gone bat shit crazy. These Limousine Libtards are trying to force feed this filthy woke shit down our throats.

I'm just wondering if theater screened movies are going to make a comeback at all what with the streaming services. Why even mess with the cost/hassle of going to a theater?

A movie like West Side Story was struggling even before the pandemic. I do think that having movies released day and date on streaming and in the movies does have a affect. Godzilla vs Kong made $100 million in the US but it would have done better had it not been streamed on HBO Max at the same time. That is their biggest streaming movie so far. A movie like that has to be seen in the movies. It loses a lot on the small screen.

I find myself not watching much TV and fewer movies now because of all this woke bullshit.

I turn off any TV show or movie where the main character is Black or there are inter racial couples. The same with queers. It is always disgusting to see the White person's best friend to always be some Black shithead.

I don't watch much TV any more because of the diversity of the cast. What I do watch is mainly historical, retro or nature. Forget about network shows.

Almost all TV commercials now are Black. Good luck with the companies trying to get Blacks to buy their stuff. The Blacks may loot it but they don't have the purchasing power.

Hollywood has gone bat shit crazy. These Limousine Libtards are trying to force feed this filthy woke shit down our throats.

That is the biggest bunch of bullshit that I have ever read. It also is racist. I have no problem with a black lead or a interracial couple. I guess you hated The Jeffersons. There is nothing wrong with that show.

Forum List

Back